BBQ and smoker thread

jasonof2000

Car(s)
2013 Lincoln MKT, 2002 Miata SE, 2012 Honda NC700
I have been playing around with a smoker (an electric El 'Cheapo Brinkmann) for about a year now and have made some delicious brisket, ribs, pork and smoked pecans in the thing and today I decided to try my hand at pulled pork.

Here is my starting Boston Butt (the pork shoulder with the bone).

IMG_0037.jpg

9 pounds of meat... I did have to trim off some excess fat on the bottom but not much. I then coated it with mustard and a yummy all purpose rub. The mustard gives the rub something to stick to and the flavor of the mustard goes away while smoking.

IMG_0038.jpg

This is the rub I used with everything measures to the nearest "ish"

1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup powdered garlic
1/2 cup sea salt
2 table spoons of powdered onion
1 table spoon of powdered mustard
1 table spoon chili powder
1 table spoon red pepper
1 table spoon cumin
1 table spoon of ground black pepper

I was looking at a 12+ hours of smoking so when I got up at 5am for work I put the meat in the smoker, lots of pre-soaked wood and some natural charcoal and made sure everything was fine and left for work. I rent so I figured I would come home to either yummy pulled pork or a burnt down house the trade off seemed worth it.

I checked it when I got home from work and the gym and it wasn't done so I let it go for a few hours longer until the internal temperature was at 185. I had to be careful it was trying to fall apart as I was getting it off the grate. After that I wrapped it in aluminum foil for an hour to let the juices redistribute and here it is.

IMG_0039.jpg

It pulled apart with a pair of forks and made for some yummy pulled pork sandwiches for dinner.

IMG_0040.jpg

anyone else who really doesn't like smoked food? (or drink for that matter)

i went on the internet and i found this...

My mind was blown, would like to attempt it though.

i've done that several times (after seeing it on MTV cribs); it's by far the best way to cook a chicken! it's delicious!

Smoked food and BBQ is the greatest! What have you tried? Smoked drink? Where do you find smoked drink?

It is a good way to cook chicken, and there are several variations and one of my favorite is using red wine instead of beer.

I've had a smoked porter before, it was interesting. But that discussion is for the beer thread :p

Looks very tasty. I need to use my smoker more. So far I've only done a brisket and a turkey for Thanksgiving one year.

Since the weather is getting nicer...time to break out the grills!

We have a big round Weber we use a lot, and another that my uncles made out of an old 50 gallon drum.

Just for smoking. We'll get the wood types we want the night before apple-wood, mesquite, a bit of cherry, and while they are soaking for at least 24 hours...add some of the more delicate favorites. Maybe some vanilla or whatever. Just add these final bits only at the last 15 minutes or so. Or they'll burn and turn it all sour,

When the coals are just hot enough and the steel can can't almost be touched...rake almost all of the red hot coals to one side, spread a layer of the soaking(and I do mean soaking) wood chips on the fire, till it starts to smoke like crazy! Put a few shallow aluminum pans with a few inches of water with herbs and spices of the soaking wet wood chips in it, closest to the hot part of the fire,. You'll get a slow steady gentle steam, a soft rolling gently flavorful smoke, and enough indirect heat to slooooly cook even the toughest meat,

Of course the meat should be first seared on a blazonly hot fire, not enough to burn or cremate your steaks.. buy enough to look all the yummy in. :)

Really? Smoked food is awesome. What are you eating that you don't like?

Smoked food and BBQ is the greatest! What have you tried? Smoked drink? Where do you find smoked drink?

i love grilling, i just don't like food that tastes like smoke...

these are the worst, i just can't eat them
rookworsten.jpg

and smoked drink, i once had a whiskey (a glenfiddich iirc) that had matured in smoked barrels, or in barrels kept in a room full of smoke, i tasted hideous!

We have a big round Weber we use a lot, and another that my uncles made out of an old 50 gallon drum.

Just for smoking. We'll get the wood types we want the night before apple-wood, mesquite, a bit of cherry, and while they are soaking for at least 24 hours...add some of the more delicate favorites. Maybe some vanilla or whatever. Just add these final bits only at the last 15 minutes or so. Or they'll burn and turn it all sour,

I've only been smoking for a year or so, so I have an electric ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmann with some mods to make it better) it is a great starter smoker and has the advantage of being able to just plug it in, put a big pile of wood inside, leave for work and come home to yummy smoked food.

I'm a big fan of apple-wood mixed in with some mesquite and yeah I soak the wood for at least 24 hours.

Of course the meat should be first seared on a blazonly hot fire, not enough to burn or cremate your steaks.. buy enough to look all the yummy in. :)

That's the first time I heard of that method.

these are the worst, i just can't eat them

I don't like sausage at all.

and smoked drink, i once had a whiskey (a glenfiddich iirc) that had matured in smoked barrels, or in barrels kept in a room full of smoke, i tasted hideous!

Oh that's different. :)

these are the wurst, i just can't eat them
rookworsten.jpg

FTFY :p

And Jason, I just got a Brinkmann charcoal smoker as a parting gift from my company. I really wished I could have gotten the electric one, but I guess that one is for people who've spent 20 years with the company.

+1

I hate when the food is smoked. It tastes absolutely disgusting.

Smoked bacon, smoked sausages, smoked chops etc.. I hate them all!!!

Yeah, a cured pork belly. Or loin if you're a Brit and like that style of bacon.

smoked jalapeno, chipotle etc nomnom1