BBQ and smoker thread

awesome!

the last 2 years during summer i've always made that for a bunch of friends. i became quite famous with it, friends asking when i'm making it again, other people asking if they can come as well :cool:

Any ski/snowboard fans who like to go to Mammoth mtn should check out this new smokehouse/BBQ place on the 395, about 1 hr south of Mammoth Lakes

Dick's Smoke Wagon

5587615386_185a2cf99f_z.jpg

5484905270_87507aa22f_z.jpg

5484310951_548512877b_z.jpg

5484906992_9cc3ea986c_z.jpg

310 N. Main St.
Big Pine, CA 93514
(760) 550-2866

Eating some great barbecue at JR's Texas BBQ. Just talked to the owner - the man really knows his barbecue. I'll post some pics when I get home.

Okay, well, pic - singular. I was too busy eating to take any pictures of the restaurant itself.

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/ph/phoenixsac/2011/06/03/IMG00001-20110603-1513.jpg

Check out the pink smoke ring on that brisket. It's cooked 16 - 18 hours, BTW.

Last edited:
The Britons don't have much of a barbecue history, true. But a lot of Texas barbecue places got their start from Czech & German immigrants that opened up meat markets and smoked their meat before the days of refrigeration.

After my chicken thighs ignited themselves last weekend, I'm nervous about trying brats. Should I cook them away from the flame, and just cook them for longer? I've never had chicken catch fire before, but I've never cooked thighs. Are they inherently fattier, and more likely to cause flareups than breats?

Yes, it's a gas grill, and yes I know it's just a broiler that got lost on the way to the kitchen. If it were me, it would be a REAL grill, but if I want a charcoal grill, I've got to buy it myself. Someday, but not yet.

Last edited:
Yes, chicken thighs are fattier and thus more likely to cause flare-ups. But that to me is what makes them juicer and more delicious than breasts. Like they say on a lot of the cooking shows, fat = flavor. Just keep an eye on them and you'll be fine.

Also, if you're concerned about flare-ups, trim a little of the excess fat off before they hit the grill.

Last edited:
While fat usually = flavor, I really really like the flavor of a juicy, well-seasoned chicken breast with a good amount of skin on it!

Just like, I know it's sacreligious, but I like the flavor of cooked meat. I'll take the more-done burger, and leave the more pink ones for y'all. I'll take that one for the team. :p

Do you cook them on or off the bone? If you debone it, it will cook much faster.

Eating some great barbecue at JR's Texas BBQ. Just talked to the owner - the man really knows his barbecue. I'll post some pics when I get home.

Okay, well, pic - singular. I was too busy eating to take any pictures of the restaurant itself.

Check out the pink smoke ring on that brisket. It's cooked 16 - 18 hours, BTW.

That looks delicious.

Today for lunch (I work evenings so my main meal is lunch) I grilled up some chicken wings and corn on the cob, very yummy.

Went to Phil's BBQ a few weekends ago, that place is epic and if youre in the local area, definitely go!

always a long line out the door
5778195083_2d1932361c_z.jpg

the menu
5778204077_657642362a_z.jpg

ordering @ the counter
5778755282_944640ca8a_z.jpg

Now onto the good stuff:
babyback ribs & mac salad
5778220317_fd67009790_z.jpg

beef ribs
5778769824_8182a2aa58_z.jpg

Time to bring up a dead thread for some smoked awesome.

Today I made Atomic Buffalo Turds. Jalapeno peppers cut in half, filled with cream cheese, a mini smoked sausage and monty jack then wrapped with a slice of bacon and smoked for two hours.

abt.jpg

abt1.jpg

abt2-1.jpg

abt3.jpg

Despite the name they are freaking delicious.

That looks awesome! How did you smoke them in that BBQ?

It is a cheap Brinkman electric smoker. I just threw some wood chips in the pan and turned it on, prepped the peppers and came back and it was up to temp and making lots of smoke.
I'm too lazy to mess with charcoal, propane and electricity all the way. :p

It is a smoker not a grill. It only gets up to 210 or so degrees, the higher end models with temperature control can go much lower. I only needed to cook them long enough for the bacon to get crispy and for everything to obsorb the smokey flavor. If I would of done them on the grill I would of gotten the bacon done but the peppers wouldn't be and the little smoke inside probably would still be cold.

Two hours isn't that long in the smoking world, if I'm doing pulled pork that can be a 9 or more hour event, but the results are worth it.

Australians and Americans (US) are well better at this lark than we are. Still I love smoked food - yum.

So could a BBQ restaurant in the UK make it or has anyone tried that you know of?