Ownership Verified: BCS and the Angry Wagon - Dodge Magnum R/T

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
The Jeep of Theseus, Angry Wagon
So since the Jeep was becoming more and more a trail-specific toy than a legitimate second vehicle, I got on the hunt for a vehicle that would be a fun commuter with a bit of oomph when necessary. Plus, I wanted a wagon, and it had to be RWD/AWD and well less than $10,000.

My immediate first thought was a blue Volvo V70R - a car I'd wanted since they first came out. I love the look of them! However, disastrous reliability issues killed that idea in short order. Even the owners' forums were pretty up-front about the fact that shit broke and was expensive to fix.

CTS-V wagons are too new and expensive, but definitely on the right track. A WRX wagon was also a contender... but then a friend bought one, so I could hardly go that route. Plus, they still command a premium and aren't exactly hugely powerful.

So, why not just get the limited-production (4 years only!) orphaned-child of the Chrysler LX platform instead? Sure, why not.

The car is a 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T, with pretty much every single R/T option box ticked aside from AWD and navigation - and God knows who would want a nav system from 2006 anyway. Sunroof, dual zone climate, EVIC, premium sound, Autostick, heated seats, the works. 118,000km, most examples for sale in the area were 200,000+. Owner wanted $11,000, I got him down to $7,000.

First: Proof!

The beating heart! 340HP/400lb-ft of 345cid V8 in a quite dusty engine bay. The car is rather heavy, but the low-end grunt makes it extremely motivated.

CD/MP3 changer and, inexplicably, a cassette deck. Many decades of format obsolescence in a single console! Also note the gross beige winter floormats.

All the white-gauge hotness the mid-2000s could handle.

And the best part of millennial box-ticking: a factory-installed rear-seat DVD player setup. I believe I've won "basically dead entertainment format" bingo. Also note ratty seat covers, which I immediately threw in the bin and exposed pristine front seats.

The only two issues with the vehicle are that it is in need of a new windshield rather badly, and the driver's side fender has a scrape/dent that will likely just lead to me replacing the fender as a colour-matched boneyard one is $100 and 6 bolts to install. NBD! The wheels could stand to be refinished, but they'll eventually become the winter wheels so I may just not bother.

First mod will likely be a Tranzformer transmission control unit for the NAG1, so I can get the shifts tightened up from the soft-assed factory settings. It also gives me line-lock in case I need to "dispose" of some tires.

Last edited:

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
Haha, thanks guys. It took around three weeks of dealing and dickering but I was in no rush to buy anything. I looked at a few other Magnums as well, one of them was $6500 but looked like it had been lived in, CEL was lit, and it had an honest-to-god bullet hole in the taillight. I took a pass on that one. :lol:

TC

aka TomCat
Sweet. Always liked those. A modern Hellcat version would rock.

Nice choice, hope it treats you well. /knock on wood

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
Sweet! I've always thought one of these would make a good grocery getter. A friend of mine has one with a stroked 426 and a blower.

Adunaphel

KLAUWD
STAFF MEMBER
DONOR
Car(s)
'18 Clio; '13 Cube Hyde
Damn, that is some fine wagon you have. I've always had a soft spot for these. May you have lots of fun with it.

public

Has been known to shou emousshiöns
DONOR
Car(s)
S203 M271 and a ton of crap
Oh, approved! Especially for the money.

Der Stig

is Der Slut
DONOR
Car(s)
Divorcée Mobiles
Very cool! Congrats, I've always liked these as well.

So, when's the blower getting installed? :p

tigger

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'88 Vic Wagon, '92 Honda VFR
Nice buy, BCS. That thing should make a fun commuter.

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
Thanks, y'all! I've been really enjoying the car for the last couple days, very impressed with how well it handles for such a big vehicle. I find the ESP system to be a bit nannyish but at least I can just shut it off for hard launches. No big power adders in the near-term, but I'm keeping an eye out for a set of SRT exhaust manifolds unless I find a smoking deal on some longtube headers. An aftermarket tuner might get me 10HP/20lb-ft but it'll probably disable MDS and nuke my gas mileage haha, so I'll stay away for now.

A Hellcat version would be outright lunacy, but I'll bet anything you could shoehorn it in.

Left-field idea: 2015 Chargum conversion.

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
Congrats! I've always loved these, someone at my college had one that sounded downright mean. :)

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'13 Moto Guzzi V7, '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Brillant, I always had a soft spot for them. Looks like you are having a blast with it even if it may not have as much torx as your jeep.