BCS repeatedly breaks, fixes, and re-breaks his Jeep

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
9,468
Location
Alberta, Canada
Car(s)
The Jeep of Theseus, Angry Wagon
Good progress over the last few days!

Painted up the calipers and WJ knuckles



Bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour for best taste.



Old balljoints out...



...and new balljoins in! Red makes them turn faster.



Knuckles, springs, shocks installed.



Adjustable trackbar adjusted and installed.



A digital level makes pinion angle/caster adjustment waaaay easier.


So that's where I got to today. Hit a bit of a snag, both sets of axle shafts could use new U-joints, so new Spicer 760x units are on order but obviously will take a few days to arrive. Since the axle shafts have to go in before unit bearings or brakes, I'll have to just temporarily install a set of shafts for now, get the brakes set up, and then swap shafts again later. At least that gets the vehicle mobile so I can spin it around and finish the work on the back end.
 

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
9,468
Location
Alberta, Canada
Car(s)
The Jeep of Theseus, Angry Wagon
First up: big beefy steering components. JKS DOM tie rod and drag link.




New brake lines and the bigger twin-piston calipers.




Add wheels and that's about that! Apart from a few things left over on the arse end (readjusting rear control arms, installing rear drive shaft, and bleeding rear brakes), she's pretty much a done deal. Time to find some trails! OK, maybe a car wash first.

 
Last edited:

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
9,468
Location
Alberta, Canada
Car(s)
The Jeep of Theseus, Angry Wagon
Mmmm yes beef is good. Beef keeps your tires pointed in the same direction and not towards each other! I may flip the steering OTK at some point but I'd also have to move the trackbar mount to the topside of the axle along with relocating the sway mounts. No go until I have a welder so I'm stuck with bolt-ons for now.

Ran into a bit of an issue as I was finishing things up, when I installed the transmission crossmember I did so in the upper of its two positions for greater ground clearance and to keep my front driveline angle acceptable. Unfortunately, upon installing the rear drive shaft with the output/input aligned, the shaft was binding a bit at the transfer case yoke - not quite enough clearance on the drive yoke for the 15-degree shaft angle (which is admittedly on the ragged edge of usable for a 1310 joint). I hit the yoke with the angry end of a Dremel and it's got adequate clearance now, but if it starts to have vibration issues a slip yoke eliminator might be in my future.

Also got a good deal on a set of sway bar quick disconnects so those will get installed when I am changing the U-joints this weekend.
 
Top