Ownership Verified: BCS repeatedly breaks, fixes, and re-breaks his Jeep

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
The Jeep of Theseus, Angry Wagon
Turns out if you unbolt all the heavy metal shit off the housing it gets a lot lighter and you can just pick it up.

Going to finish gutting the housing this weekend, punch all the seals out and clean the tubes.

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
Honestly, after the work week I've had it was cathartic to go out and hit things with a hammer. I had a great time.

Axle is completely gutted and next it's off to the car wash tomorrow to clean out the tubes while I'm washing the transmission case and a few other parts.

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
Now to be fair to my transfer case, I bought this from a junkyard on half-off day for $50 out of an '89 XJ with some crazy number of miles on it. Upon opening it to swap the input shaft I discovered that what it lacked in lubricant it made up for in rusty water. The shift fork pads were visibly worn. I replaced nothing, not even the seals.

But that's OK, because I proceeded to daily-drive and beat on it for nine years without a complaint (and with the occasional mild leak)

Unfortunately I was starting to hear some odd noises from amidships, so it was finally time to yank it out again and see what's what.

Ah yes - the fork pads have disintegrated and the shift fork has a nice deep groove worn in it. Wonder where the pads went.

Found 'em!

Good thing I have spare transfer case parts for some reason. Parts hoarding saves the day!

Pump not looking great either.

Pump definitely not doing well. RIP.

Gears, diff, and planetary all look to be in good shape. Forgot the mainshaft needle bearings have no retaining cage. Thanks goodness for trans reassembly grease.

A quick trip through the "parts washer" to make the case look about 13% less shitty.

And that brings us to today. A complete set of new seals, a new oil pump, new fork pads, and a new chain are all incoming and I should have it back together this weekend. Will this solve my concerning banging noises? Maybe!

My trans rebuild parts arrived as well, so I think that means it's time to drag the other spare trans out of the shed and open it up. Ought to be able to make one great trans out of two OK ones. Fun!

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
I am still amazed how people are able to open up those things and go "Ah, the rotary spline transducer is worn, and that made the viscous thermoactuator give up. Since I was already opening it up, I put in a desmodromic spline rectifier. That should hold up."

Last edited:

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
I am still amazed how can people open up those things and go "Ah, the rotary spline transducer is worn, and that made the viscous thermoactuator give up. Since I was already opening it up, I put in a desmodromic spline rectifier. That should hold up."
The nice thing about the modern world is a full course on turboencabulator repair is just a quick trip to Youtube!

Short update: Transfer case is mostly back together, chain just showed up, but I'm stuck waiting on a $0.10 O-ring that was discontinued by Mopar like ten years ago.

Single aftermarket replacement o-ring: $15+$30 shipping from the States.
Dimensionally identical unit made from better material: $10.40 for a pack of 100, free Prime shipping.

This is why I own like five sets of digital calipers scattered around the property. Sometimes a guy's just gotta do the measuring.

Last edited:

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
I am still amazed how can people open up those things and go "Ah, the rotary spline transducer is worn, and that made the viscous thermoactuator give up. Since I was already opening it up, I put in a desmodromic spline rectifier. That should hold up."

Eh, we all learn and understand different things.

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
Yes, I know.

If @BerserkerCatSplat watched my thesis defense about butterflies he would probably go "The what did what to the what now?" :ROFLMAO:

Sounds legit interesting! A friend of mine did his thesis on the philosophy of mathematics as viewed from a nihilist perspective, and it can be generally summed up by "wut".

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
You've been making great progress on the Heep and it's quality entertainment to boot. Moar!

Thanks! I'll have lots of content when the transmission build begins... but for now I'm paused on the transfer case while Amazon figures out how to send me the correct package of O-rings instead of ones that are noticeably too large because they put the wrong damn stock sticker on the bag. Sigh.

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
And we're back! Back on the healing bench that is, with a range fork scavenged out of my NP249 parts pile, a full complement of fork pads from RockAuto, and brand new seals everywhere. After years (maybe decades) of neglect, she gets a pampering.

Shockingly, the OEM chain hadn't stretched at all, so it goes to the Milk Crate Of Spare Transfer Case Parts.

New chain installed and it's time to button her up. New fluid pump not pictured.

TOP TIP: Tired of your tube of RTV drying out even though you've only used 20% of the tube? Store it in the freezer! Mine has been going strong for a good three years now. It feels like a miracle. Also the case is back together.

Leg-pressed the case back into position on the trans and an intial test drive showed a lack of disturbing bangs from the driveline, so... maybe fixed? Here's hoping.

Also, remember that Aussie locker that came with the axle I bought?

Sold it for more than I paid for the entire axle. Win! So I took that $ and bought myself a pilot-arc plasma cutter. Let's make some brackets or an axle truss or something!