Ownership Verified: BCS repeatedly breaks, fixes, and re-breaks his Jeep

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
The Jeep of Theseus, Angry Wagon
I just read this thread from beginning to end the other day. Don't know how I've managed to overlook it until now. Great reading.

Glad you enjoyed the read, it's been a journey!

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
So I've been working on a few other projects while I wait for a couple of final transmission parts to show up. This is very annoying. Like $9 worth of parts keeping me from doing final assembly.

A local tool place had a sale on a tube bender kit, which is a clone of a JD-Squared Model 32 and is compatible with their dies. The kit came with the bender, stand, and three dies - 1', 1.5" and 1.75" for a very reasonable price I couldn't really say no to. With the right die set, it'll bend up to 2.5" tube.

WSFXI83.jpg

One thing it didn't come with was a handle, so you can actually, like, use it. I think they want you to supply a piece of 1x2 steel to use as a handle. This was no major issue for me, because 1) using the manual bending handle requires you to bolt the stand to the floor, which I didn't want to do, and 2) like Mr. Clarkson, I too am allergic to manual labour when I can avoid it.

This is a 4" piece of 3.5"x3/16-wall pipe. The ID has been opened up to a hair over 80mm and has a 1/8" cut along its length. You can likely do this with a spindle sander and a chop saw, I am fortunate to know a guy with a small lathe and a Bridgeport who accepts payment in Guinness, which was on sale last week.

FREGYJO.jpg

If you're creative, the bender can also double as a very poor plasma table. Cut out some vaguely rectangular 4" pieces from that piece of rusty 1/4" steel you got at a scrapyard.

6yrhA0K.jpg

Weld those plates on each side of the split in the tube (OK fine, clean the rust off them first) and drill some holes. You now have a clamp.

hkzmKO3.jpg

Check that the clamp fits the 80mm air/hydraulic cylinder, praise yourself for correctly using a pair of calipers.

rXURK3K.jpg

Now that you have a clamp that attaches to the cylinder, you also need to attach it to the bender somehow. There's some clearance issues with the vertical posts on the bender frame, so drill a hole through the clamp that's offset enough that it'll clear the posts when fully extended. Verify hole alignment with a large bolt, congratulate yourself for correctly operating your eyeball and a Sharpie.

QrqZzSx.jpg

Since the clamp needs to have a cylinder in it instead of a bolt sticking through it, you need to get a bit creative. A couple of 3/4" bolts with heads cut off at a 45-degree-ish angle ought to do the trick.

FsUNPcU.jpg

Align bolts with magnet clamp, tack into place.

uraRtse.jpg

Once you've verified the bolts are aligned with each other and the holes in the bender frame, weld up them sumbitches. Inside and out.

ZFLbCBz.jpg

Not pictured: die-grinding the inside welds flush, which takes just shy of forever.

Mount it up! Will it blend bend?

CjNXsbE.jpg

Ha! Take THAT, manual labour!

jOkWi9v.jpg

So yeah, that's my solution for an air/hydraulic tube bender conversion. You can buy adapter kits from Swag Offroad that are real nice, but they're 200 Ameribucks plus shipping plus conversion to Canuck pesos and I can buy a lot of tube, bolts, and filler wire for that.

Last edited:

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
So you did a lot of labor to avoid manual labor.

This sounds like mechanical programming.

Last edited:

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
Is dicking around with a chop saw and a welder reeeeeeeally manual labour? I say no! Stop questioning my methods, damnit! I need this!

(For real though, once you hit a certain tube size/ wall thickness you basically need to go hydraulic if you're not The Hulk.)

Last edited:

Quiky

Super relevant and trendy avatar
STAFF MEMBER
This is an awesome thread. Even though I have no intent of doing a full transmission rebuild or Mr Bendy Wheels, it's really cool to have all the details and commentary.

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
This is an awesome thread. Even though I have no intent of doing a full transmission rebuild or Mr Bendy Wheels, it's really cool to have all the details and commentary.
Thanks Quiky! I enjoy seeing all the repairs and stuff done in the other PyC threads, so it's only fair I add some of my own.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
Even though I have no intent of doing a full transmission rebuild or Mr Bendy Wheels, it's really cool to have all the details and commentary.

It's like watching sports when you don't have any intent of doing any of it yourself. I don't watch sports, but I can relate.