Ownership Verified: BCS repeatedly breaks, fixes, and re-breaks his Jeep

The Seimens Deka single-hole fuel injectors are known for having a shit-awful spray pattern and don't atomize well, so when I was down at the JY last I grabbed 10 Bosch 4-hole units and a rebuild kit for $15 on Ebay. I was building an injector flow test bench for the race team anyway, so I figure now's a good a time as any to flush and rebuild them.

They're the same injectors used in this comparison, you can buy them pretty reasonably from the guy who made the vid but I'd rather just do the rebuilding myself.

[youtube]bHf-6ohkgbA[/youtube]

So, went on another junkyard run on the weekend. Was looking to get a 117A alternator to upgrade from the stock 90A, but managed to find a 136A instead, which is even better and somewhat uncommon. Also got an unmangled gas tank skidplate, but it started snowing today so I'm going to wait for it to warm up again before installing it. However, I did get the new alternator in before it got too cold!

100% alternator-free!
f112dcde.jpg

90A on the right, 136A on the left
ce066252.jpg

Done!
835da377.jpg

Pretty easy job, but man what a difference. I can throw on every single electrical item at idle and the amperage gauge needle doesn't even move, haha! That alternator is beefy.

Also, my engine bay needs cleaning. :lol:

Last edited:
Haha, it's funny how much an alternator matters! I flip on my Hellas and the revs drop (but then they pop back up again). Keep up the good work on this car. This is certainly one of the most entertaining builds on FG.

Thanks delta, she's not a fast-moving project (especially in winter) but it's steady progress. Going to possibly pick up 5 wheels and 6 tires today and then take it wheeling in Waiparous this weekend if everything goes to plan!

Be sure to get some pics! It's always good seeing the trucks get dirty!

Got the wheels and tires on yesterday (Canyon wheels and GY Wranglers) but got a call from a good friend saying he's coming down from Edmonton so we can go to the Calgary auto show, on the exact day of the Waiparous run. <_< So, looks like I'm back to mallcrawling until the next open run or if I find a trail that isn't completely mud. Balls.

Looking on the bright side, I guess it gives me more time to get my armour mounted.

Last edited:
Got the wheels and tires on yesterday (Canyon wheels and GY Wranglers) but got a call from a good friend saying he's coming down from Edmonton so we can go to the Calgary auto show, on the exact day of the Waiparous run. <_< So, looks like I'm back to mallcrawling until the next open run or if I find a trail that isn't completely mud. Balls.

Looking on the bright side, I guess it gives me more time to get my armour mounted.

Gimme pictars!

Hopefully you can find some good trails and some more time.

Thanks! I do have a running Excel sheet but I haven't updated it in a while, I'd estimate that I've put in maybe $800-1000 total including original purchase price. She's ready to hit the trails as-is, but if I decide I really enjoy wheeling I'll be throwing some goodies on over the summer, namely a 4" RC lift with all new adjustable control arms ($700), 242 transfer case ($100), and a D44a rear end ($120). New tires would be on top of that, but I haven't really given them too much thought, the Wrangler Duratracs have been getting lots of good reviews so I'm leaning towards them.

But, that said, everything's tentative and I'm pretty happy with it as-is right now. I'm in no rush, just having fun.

What no Pro Comp bits and ARB bumpers on your trail rig?!?! :lol:

Hehe, RC 4" lift should do the trick, but don't forget to get some black steel wheels so you can tuck 35"(?) M/Ts that howl at 40 :mrgreen:

Are you going to fab up that bumper set up you posted earlier?

I've actually got a local company that's going to waterjet all the steel for the bumper, so as soon as I get around to ordering the material I'll have that done. I'll probably end up with 32" tires, so I might swap in a front high pinion D30 out of an XJ with 4.10 gears and regear a trussed D44a to match, and swap in everything at once.

Yup, front skid is already on, transfer case and gas tank armor are going on this weekend when it warms up.

I burn a substantial amount of those fossil fuels as it is! :lol:

You should throw a locker in the rear if you are going to re-gear it. I know it can be a bit pricey, but a detroit would do the trick and since you already had it open....

Crap, I totally forgot the locker on the mod list, haha! I'm looking for a D44a with LSD, and an Aussie locker for the D30 up front. The Aussie will work in both the D30 and HPD30, so that may be my next mod if I don't come across an NP242 transfer case first.

Well, whaddaya know, I went down to the PickNPull for a sale they were having and scored me an NP242J out of a (relatively) low-miles XJ for $75. It was the last one left on the lot and had the lowest miles, but nobody'd touched it because the ground under the vehicle was a total mudpit. Determined, I scooped out most of the mud with a discarded Dana 35 diff cover (hey, D35's ARE good for something!), scavenged a dozen big van floor mats to cover the still-wet ground and got to work.

Things I learned pulling the transfer case:

1.) If your boneyard doesn't allow you to take in jacks, it's gonna be hairy dropping that transmission crossmember.
2.) If you need to drop the crossmember, be really sure you've detached everything you need to from the TC first. Like, say, the front driveshaft. This will save you the effort of having to leg-press the ass end of a iron-block 4.0L with attached transmission high enough that you can lever the shaft out with a big prybar at the same time, proving to everyone within grunting distance that you are a complete idiot.

Still need to swap in a 1.55" 23-spline input shaft. (no 242's ever had one, but my 46RH transmission requires it) I have one in my current NP249 but I haven't toasted the VC in that one yet, so I'm looking for a dead 249 I can grab the input shaft from so I can keep my current TC as a quick-swap spare.

Anyway, pictures.

e5840bc3.jpg

10297a1b.jpg

Last edited:
Niiice dude!

Sounds like a pretty solid day (despite the hard work)

You know, you could probably right some sort of "budget Jeep Build" article and send it into some 4wheeling magasines if you were so inclined, probably make back some of your money. :lol:

Yeah, lots of work but I'd rather be busy and enjoying myself than bored. I doubt anyone would want to read my story about being a cheap bastard though, haha!

Anyway, tore down the 242 this evening.

Pulled the front housings, oil pump and speedo assembly
6400239a.jpg

Sprockets & chain out
3b378a29.jpg

Main rear output unit out
c401a46e.jpg

These shift forks were a mother to get out. Apparently using a prybar is required, who knew.
86e03270.jpg

Forks and input/planetary gear set out, case is basically empty now. Hopefully I can remember how it all goes back together, haha!
3fa0e74f.jpg

Also, a guy has offered me a free NP249 of the correct year, which I will grab this week if it has the correct input shaft. It's coming along!

Last edited:
why is there a chain in the gearbox???

i've opened a few (VW, honda - which were broken, just to see what's inside them), and never came across a chain...

(and that gearbox looks surprisingly small as well?)