Beckham Coming to America.

No Boss

Neener, neener, I banned your title!
Car(s)
'07 Volvo XC70 Polestar, '01 Miata SE
Maybe I'm the only one that is genuinly excited about this, but.....HOLY CRAP.

Beckham will play for MLS' L.A. Galaxy in $250M deal

LONDON (AP) -- Roll out the red carpet, Hollywood. The David Beckham show is coming to town.

It's not "Bend it Like Beckham" this time, though. It's more like "Spend it Like Beckham."

The most recognized player on the planet -- fashion icon, tabloid fixture, marketing giant and husband of a former Spice Girl -- is taking his game and fame to Tinseltown, and he's going to be earning an estimated $250 million for the five years of his contract.

The 31-year-old former England captain agreed to a deal Thursday to play for the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer, turning down a two-year contract extension from Real Madrid for a chance to lift soccer's profile in the United States.

"There are so many great sports in America," the former Manchester United star said. "There are so many kids that play baseball, American football, basketball. But soccer is huge all around the world apart from America, so that's where I want to make a difference with the kids."

Beckham, who has failed to win any major titles in 3 1/2 seasons in Madrid, said the time was right for a change.

"I've played now for two of the biggest clubs in the world and played at the highest level for 15 years, and now I think that I need another challenge," Beckham said.

Beckham will become the biggest star to play soccer in the United States since Pele and Franz Beckenbauer played in the now-defunct North American Soccer League in the 1970s.

The Galaxy, citing industry experts, said the LA deal is worth more than $250 million in salary and commercial endorsements -- about $1 million a week -- and is "thought to be the biggest in sporting history."

"David Beckham is a global sports icon who will transcend the sport of soccer in America," MLS commissioner Don Garber said.

Beckham and his pop star wife, Victoria, should fit in just fine in LA. Beckham opened a soccer academy in Carson, California, last year, and Victoria was photographed house-hunting in the area.

A celebrity who draws paparazzi like a movie star, Beckham and his wife regularly find their way onto tabloid and magazine covers. With trendy clothes, rotating hair colors and styles and a glamorous wife, he's the epitome of the modern mix of celebrity and athlete. He's even had a movie named after him: "Bend it like Beckham."

His soccer skills are only part of the equation. He's David Beckham Inc., a multinational corporation with links to Pepsi, Gillette, Motorola and Adidas.

MLS even changed its rules on salary caps, clearing the way for Beckham to sign the lucrative deal and become the first player to be signed under the new rule.

"I'm going out there to hopefully build a club and team that's got a lot of potential," Beckham said. "I think that's what excites me."

Los Angeles opens its season April 8 in Houston, but Beckham is not expected to join the team until August. His four-year contract with Madrid expires at the end of this season.

"For the rest of this season I will continue to give 100 percent to my coach, teammates and fans as I believe (coach) Fabio Capello will bring this club and its supporters the success they truly deserve," said Beckham, who trained with Madrid in the Spanish capital Thursday.

But Beckham has not found much success since he moved to Madrid in 2003 from Manchester United, where he had had won six league titles, two FA Cups and the Champions League title. He has no major trophies with the nine-time European Cup champions.

"I've enjoyed my time in Spain. It's been an incredible experience for me and my family," Beckham said.

Under Capello this season, things have gotten worse. Beckham has started only seven of 25 matches and was left off the squad for Thursday's Copa del Rey match against Real Betis.

Before the season started, Beckham led England to the quarterfinals of the World Cup, scoring from a free kick in the second round to beat Ecuador 1-0.

But he was taken off the field early in the second half against Portugal with ankle and Achilles tendon injuries, and then watched as his team was eliminated in a penalty shootout.

A day after the game, Beckham stepped down as captain of the team -- a post he had held for 58 of his 94 international appearances. Then, on Aug. 11, England coach Steve McClaren dropped Beckham from the team altogether, signaling the end of his international career.

Then came more heartache in Madrid.

He was injured in November when he was allowed to travel to Rome to visit Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, but Beckham was forced to skip the wedding and return to Madrid to sit on the bench -- another sign that his days in Madrid under Capello were numbered.

$250 million dollars. That's insane. I am definitly taking a trip to California to see one of these games.

Beckham suck now, hes do nothing inspirational at Real Madrid or during the World Cup for England, I thought when I herd Real weren't renewing him he'd just quit altogether but it seems he still think he has something left in the tank.

Beckham suck now, hes do nothing inspirational at Real Madrid or during the World Cup for England, I thought when I herd Real weren't renewing him he'd just quit altogether but it seems he still think he has something left in the tank.

It doesn't matter if he thinks he is still good, but what his new team thinks and they seem to be happy about him. ;)
In my eyes he reached his maximum a while ago.

He's still a very good player, especially by the standard in the US. Plus his name is a big draw. Good for him I say.

Beckham is the most overrated footballer in history but certainly the most famous. It makes sense for MLS to lure him in with $50 million/year over 5 years in order to boost soccer in America. Will it work? Probably not. This is akin to the UFC recently signing Mirko Cro Cop. Every American will know who both are.

This should be gigantic news in America, it even made front page news on the Toronto Star's online newspaper.

i'm wondering whether gets this salary for playing footie or being a media-whore.

i think he gets it for both, that's why it's twice as huge as nornal :D

he will most likely be banging em in for fun over in the american leagues. Without trying to sound condecending the MLS aint really a patch on La Liga or the Prem. Be a bit like him joining Tamworth for a season...scoring for fun :D

IMO that's a bad move on MSL's part. Bringing over washed up superstars never helped a league in development. If they were smart they would spend that money on promising new talents and the development of football academies.

Who?

No really, I actually agree with Swek. Bring up new stars, kick ass in comp's. Don't spend the cash on a tabloid manwhore.

This should be gigantic news in America, it even made front page news on the Toronto Star's online newspaper.

It should be, and it's gotten a lot of coverage... unfortunately, the collective response has been "Who?"

If they were smart they would spend that money on promising new talents and the development of football academies.

Back in the 70s they brought Pele and Beckenbauer to the NLS, but that since defunct. I agree they should be new talent in, but as you know there isn't a big following for soccer in the US. So most of the kids hoping to play in the major leagues, all want to play in Europe. Bringing a big name like Becks to the stage will bring in ticket sales, up revenues and hopefully kick start soccer back to popularity like it was in the 70s.

/maybe....

What is this "soccer" that you speak of? J/K

If you actually look at the numbers there are as many soccer players in the US as there are in Europe. The difference is that in the US there are more female players, it is about half and half, and most soccer players in the US are younger.

This is akin to the UFC recently signing Mirko Cro Cop. Every American will know who both are.

Yes. Absolutely. It's just like that. *whispers to the guy next to him* "Who the hell is Mirko Cro Cop?"

Yes. Because every American knows who UFC contenders are, jbecause just as many American know who David Beckham is. :p

wait, we have soccer above gradeschool level?

Alright, that made me laugh out loud.

It's so weird. I always hear about parents taking their kids to soccer practice, and soccer moms, and even the elementary school by my house has a soccer field.....With so much interest at the youth level, why doesn't it carry on as kids get older here? As if it's teeball.

I was lucky I bought season tickets for Toronto FC the night before this trade. I'd imagine it's going to boost sales insanely.

I still think it's a stupid move on Beckham's part. He really needed to stay in Europe if he wanted to salvage his international career, which can still last until the next World Cup. On the other hand, I love the new midfield in England being built around Gerrard and Lampard.

[inter fanboy]All I know is Beckham is an idiot for turning down an offer from Inter Milan, the best club in Europe and the World. [/inter fanboy]

...he's going to be earning an estimated $250 million for the five years of his contract.

"There are so many great sports in America," the former Manchester United star said. "There are so many kids that play baseball, American football, basketball. But soccer is huge all around the world apart from America, so that's where I want to make a difference with the kids."

Hmm, now which of those two motivations do I believe...

It reminds me of Schumacher going to Ferrari (well, a little bit anyway) for the challenge of it.

David Beckam is overratted, what a waste of money.

It reminds me of Schumacher going to Ferrari (well, a little bit anyway) for the challenge of it.

Hadly any challenge since there's nothing of reputation to win for a football player in America.

Screw him, I think its Victoria you should be worried about......a brunette Paris Hilton........