Beer

yes, sadly it's still around (like most stuff brewery roman produces :puke:)

if you're ever in a bar, and you see on the map "trots der vlaamse ardennen", don't order it! you'll get a romy :lol:

Tried some new beers in the last few months, but was too lazy/didn't have much time to write about them:

Brewdog Hardcore IPA: After enjoying their Punk IPA a lot, this one was even better.

Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA: After the aforementioned IPA, this one felt a little bit... 'flat'.

De Prael Mary: The label said it was a Barley Wine, Beeradvocate says it's a Tripel. Anyway, although it was quite sweet and maybe not as complex as other tripels, it was very drinakble, especially considering the high % ABV. Nice story behind its brewery too.

Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX Stout: This is the beer my local bar brought for St. Patrick's day. I don't know how it compares to other stouts since I've got zero experience in the style, but I didn't like its 'burnt' taste too much.

Fr?h Kolsch: It's an ale with all the characteristics of a lager, right?. Not bad, very refreshing, but I would have prefered it to be a little bit less malty and little bit more hoppy.

L?wenbr?u Original: Standard macro-lager.

Coors: Sub-standard macrol-lager.

Valentins Wei?bier: Half the price of a Franziskaner/Paulaner, but not half the flavour. Maybe a little bit to sweet for having a few in a row, but for 0,75 ? I really enjoyed this.

Erdinger Pikantus: Somehow reminded me of a 'tuned down' dopplebock with the mouthfeel and softer edges of a wei?bier.

Hofbr?u Dunkel: Don't remember too many details about this one, but I remember that it left me with a pleasant feeling when I finished the 0,5 l. bottle, and I guess sometimes that is what it matters...

Moritz: If you ever go to Barcelona I think this is a better alternative than Estrella Damm.

La Cibeles IPA Dry Hopping: If you ever go to Madrid, are tired of drinking Mahous and found this in a bar, try it. Being form a country where Adjunct Lagers reign supreme, this a nice offering even if it's not as good as the best beers in the style and the 'biscuity' smell it let in the glass when I finished it put me a little bit off.

Sagra Bohio: A Barley Wine (what's a proper Barley Wine?) brewed in collaboration with a Michelin awarded restaurant in Illescas, Toledo (Spain). It was thought as a companion to dessert and I certainly found it to be very 'digestive', with nice chocolat and coffee touches. Still being the offering from a small Spanish micro-brewery, it's not perfect and I think the mouthfeel could be improved.

1 year-old Orval: Today I have tried an Orval bottle I had kept for 1 year at home. Compared to a 'fresh' bottle, it has less 'floral', apple-like flavours, being softer and with more 'malty' and yeasty flavours. I think I like the 'fresh' bottle flavours more.

EDIT: St Austell Proper Job: Don't know if this closer to an American IPA or a traditional British IPA, but I quite liked it. Nice balance between hops and malt.

Last edited:
Where did you try Frueh Kolsch? I could only get them in the Rhine area of Germany.

Where did you try Frueh Kolsch? I could only get them in the Rhine area of Germany.

The supermarket of 'El Corte Ingles' (the most famous store chain in Spain) in my city brought quite a lot of 0,5 l. bottles as part of some kind of 'European Food Fair' they had.

I went to the local Liquormart to get some beer and noticed nice promotion they had.

$5.99 for a 6-pack of 16oz beer called Bavaria...made in Holland.

:lol:

Just tried one...not bad, not bad at all for the price. Definitely better than getting any of the Bud/Bud Light/ Natty Ice crap

Had that at Adunaphel's. Not bad at all, goes down easy, but there wasn't enough. :(

Bavaria is a crap beer, it is worse than Heineken which is an achievement on its own.

Had a few beers last Friday.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA: Really good, especially coming from a non-IPA guy.
51249.jpg

Murphy's Stout: Wasn't that impressed, so no picture of it.

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout: I am not really a fan of blueberries, but this beer was fantastic, it may be my new favorite stout.
Blueberry_Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
bought:
timmermans_kriek.jpg

this would be first lambic and first cherry one to try.. shall see..
And the result was.. i liked it. Surprised by it. I have heard some mixed opinions about lambics, especially cherry ones.

And the result was.. i liked it. Surprised by it. I have heard some mixed opinions about lambics, especially cherry ones.

Euhrmm....most lambic beers on sale are cherry, then again what people call lambic beers aren't really lambic, and yes I realise that does not make any sence :p

'Lambic' is actualy a very primitive beer, (like medieval primitive) with a very distinctive, sour taste, hardly drinkable in it's pure form, instead it's mostly used as a base ingredient for beerstypes like Geuze and the mentioned cherrylambic, (what we would call kriek) hence people have started to associate every cherry fruitbeer that has 'lambic' on the label with the term 'lambic' and consider it a lambic.....it's not.

It would be like calling a bloody Mary 'tomatojuice' just because it has tomatojuice in it.

Also....Timmermans is the weakest of them all :p

Last edited:
Bavaria is a crap beer, it is worse than Heineken which is an achievement on its own.

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree with you on that one. Heineken is among the worst beers made in this country, and the worst of the major breweries.

Euhrmm....most lambic beers on sale are cherry, then again what people call lambic beers aren't really lambic, and yes I realise that does not make any sence :p

'Lambic' is actualy a very primitive beer, (like medieval primitive) with a very distinctive, sour taste, hardly drinkable in it's pure form, instead it's mostly used as a base ingredient for beerstypes like Geuze and the mentioned cherrylambic, (what we would call kriek) hence people have started to associate every cherry fruitbeer that has 'lambic' on the label with the term 'lambic' and consider it a lambic.....it's not.

It would be like calling a bloody Mary 'tomatojuice' just because it has tomatojuice in it.

Also....Timmermans is the weakest of them all :p

Thanks for the info about the "raw" lambic, that I did not know.
Timmermans is one of the two lambic krieks sold in "normal" stores in here. So the choice was just between these two: Timmermans or Lindemans.

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree with you on that one. Heineken is among the worst beers made in this country, and the worst of the major breweries.

It certainly is, but Bavaria is just as bad, if not worse.

It certainly is, but Bavaria is just as bad, if not worse.

I tried Grolsch a few days ago and I wouldn't say it was better than a Heineken...

This is the wierdest beer conversation I have ever seen......this is like a guy with a Chinese car arguing with a lada owner about whitch one is better :razz:

*ducks for flying bags of pot*

Also, if someone offers you a 'kwak' that's 'slightly out of date' because 'it would be a shame to waste it and I don't drink heavy beer' don't have one......and whatever you don't have 4 after you already had enough lager to drown a small elefant......I've never been so drunk in my life, and that's a feat.

Last edited:
This is the wierdest beer conversation I have ever seen......this is like a guy with a Chinese car arguing with a lada owner about whitch one is better :razz:

*ducks for flying bags of pot*

This. It's like arguing that cow piss tastes nicer than horse piss, it still piss in the end.
Also, if someone offers you a 'kwak' that's 'slightly out of date' because 'it would be a shame to waste it and I don't drink heavy beer' don't have one......and whatever you don't have 4 after you already had enough lager to drown a small elefant......I've never been so drunk in my life, and that's a feat.

How out of date was it?

How out of date was it?

Just a few weeks, dark beer usualy doesn't 'go bad' if stored right anyway (except after years)and the date is just there because it's a foodproduct so they have to put something on, but it does means that once it's past date they legaly can't sell it in pubs anymore.....giving it away is fine though.

But something was amiss in this case, can't put my finger on it, taste was normal, colour, smell and texture was normal....used to this sort of stuff, still hit me like a freighttrain. That or I'm just getting old. :p

^plenty of people who say dark beer can't be kept for a long period

but in my experience...they don't go bad indeed, but none of the flavour is kept either. a dark beer that has aged a bit just tastes pale if you ask me...

Plenty of people don't know jack shit about beer......hence why Leffe is still around getting drunk by people fat lycramorons believing they are drinking something special. :p

Did you not read my post? $5.99 for a 6-pack of 16oz (500ml) Bavaria. It's cheap and better than any Coors/Bud/Miller/Keystone...Yes, it's not a great beer, but for the price you can't beat it.

Last edited: