Beer

I need to try some Fucking hell.

I came accross this article earlier today already and once again I have to question the accuracy of Spiegel articles. Doesn't Hell, or Helles to be more precise, refer to a somewhat halfassed lager/Pilsner type beer, i.e. a bottom fermented beer, rather a top fermented beer - an ale?

As far as I know it just refers to the fact that it is a clear beer, as opposed to hefe beers, which are cloudy with yeast.

IMO, in the broadest sense, it refers to the fact that it's a pale beer rather than a dark beer. In that sense, it would also include pale weizen, which is a top fermented beer. I don't think, however, that if you said you want a Helles in a pub, you would ever end up having a weizen. From my experience, it is most commonly used to distinguish pale lagers from dark beers or weizen. In the narrowest sense, the word Helles is often put on pale bottom fermented beers that are too shit to qualify for a better name, like Pils((e)ner). I don't think it has much to do with the fact, whether the yeast has been filtered out or not. You can have unfiltered pale lager as well as Kristallweizen.

Last edited:
Gumballhead1.jpg

Fucking hop candy.

I wonder where one finds such goblets

i havent had a beer in two weeks. i am sad.

Stella Artois is also one of my favourites (as a normal drinking beer however, like when you are thirsty or watching a movie or eating). As degustation beer however, I like Leffe (blond) and Duvel. Blonde beers all the way here, don't like dark beers a lot. Except that dark St.-Sixtus, which is delicious :).

leffe.jpg

edit: argh, getting thirsty just by watching the pictures!
I bought Leffe today, not because i had heard of it but because of the name. 'Leffe' is a nickname, so it's like buying a beer called 'Johnny' :D
Other than that I made off from the goverment monopoly (which today had very limited stock as 75% of the store was a building site) with La Trappe Witte, Weihenstephaner, a very yellow Miller and some very cheap and very strong swedish beers, as well as some other things that's not beer.

I thought the K?nig Ludwig brewery was old but this Weihenstephaner (hard to spell) says "Since 1040" on the bottle which I think is cool. Bought the Miller because it was very yellow (actually it looks like piss, I hope it doesnt taste like it :lol:) and the Swedish beers because they're strong. And cheap. I'm repeating myself. I've not tried any of the three foreign ones before, I might add. Not that I remember anyway.

I also want more pictures of bone's basement!

took a pic of my basement

Last edited:
Which Weihenstephaner did you get? I've had their heffeweissbier dunkel but didn't like it much.

The Leffe was okay, but I didnt like the Miller much. The Weihenstephaner was the regular kind I think, not dunkel.

The New Belgium Ranger IPA is pretty good... not as good as the Surly Furious, but good.

http://img180.imageshack.**/img180/6750/63778242.jpg

i really enjoyed the Sam Adams black lager last time i had it. nice and flavorful