Beer

:picture of several varieties of "40's"

Reminds me of another great college drinking game....Edward Fortyhands! I still have a scar on my palm from a game related incident. Not my picture...

edward40hands34.jpg

Have I posted in this thread procaliming the enormous, delicious benefits of real ale rather than lager?

Well if I haven't, take it as read that I just did.
I don't understand these beers with ridiculous alcohol contents. Why not just buy some whiskey instead?
My standard tipple is Abbot Ale, that's five percent. But, on occasion, Archie Simpsons have Abbot Reserve, that's Six and a half percent. And I think that's true strong. It get's you incredibly fucked but the bite of the alcohol steals the flavour.

However, The Moorings has a beer menu that shows a percenatge. And some of those run up to sixteen or so percent. That is so close to spirits you may as well order a tequila. (I'm not just saying that because The Moorings has particularly nice tequila.)

Goose Island Oatmeal Stout is pretty tasty. Also I'll be going through Chicago in a couple weeks and hope to stop by the brewery.

Apparently drinking it creates a high gravity, making you fall to the ground.

On the matter of strong beers: Schorschbr?u, a franconian brewery, that held the title of the worlds strongest beer before Tactical Nuclear Penguin, then regained it and lost it again to Sink The Bismarck, now reclaims the title with a beer that has 43%.
I'm not sure where this race for the strongest beer is headed, since I never had either of the beers mentiond before, in fact I don't think I ever had a beer with over 12%, I don't want to judge this, but for me it's usually all about the taste and not how strong the stuff is.
But still I'm curious how such a strong beer tastes, especially in comparison to whisky or any other kind of destilled spirit.

On the matter of strong beers: Schorschbr?u, a franconian brewery, that held the title of the worlds strongest beer before Tactical Nuclear Penguin, then regained it and lost it again to Sink The Bismarck, now reclaims the title with a beer that has 43%.
I'm not sure where this race for the strongest beer is headed, since I never had either of the beers mentiond before, in fact I don't think I ever had a beer with over 12%, I don't want to judge this, but for me it's usually all about the taste and not how strong the stuff is.
But still I'm curious how such a strong beer tastes, especially in comparison to whisky or any other kind of destilled spirit.

look at the structure of the liquid and how it behaves in the glass, that's no longer a beer, more a liquor
i think it looks rather tasty, and aparently it tastes like chocolat :D
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/c0n1u/i_drank_it_brewdog_tactical_nuclear_penguin_32/

Canadian Guinness kinda has a chocolaty and barbecued fatty aftertaste (That's the best way I can describe it :lol:). I'm not a big fan.

Asahi Black (as I keep raving about... and am still afraid to purchase the case of), shares similar characteristics, but it doesn't have the fatty aftertaste. Instead, the aftertaste is almost like smoked sesame. It's not really chocolaty either... but boy is that stuff smooth.

You keep track? Intense.

If I had to guess I'd put myself somewhere between 75-100. There's lots of beers I don't remember that are just handed to me lol.

I never bothered to keep track. It is well beyond 100.

Why bother?