Beer

Just letting people know so they don't end up like me in a few months thinking "Shit! I didn't know that came out!"

Founder's Breakfast Stout was just released. If you like stouts, I guarantee you wont be disappointed. I don't know what prices are like yet (it comes in 4-packs I'm told), I'm sure it'll be a little expensive, but it'll be worth it.

Picked up a six pack off Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest. As described by Beer Advocate:

And it is smooth. Like, SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH smooth. Leines is much Like Sam Adams, enjoyed nationally, but beloved regionally. And if I can get local brews, I will choose them over others. Especially ones from Wisconsin.

One of my roommates in college was from Minnesota and all he drank was Leines, he got me hooked on their Creamy Dark. Leines Summer Shady is one of my favorite "hanging at the lake and fishing" beers.

Drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale right now. It's good, very smooth for a pale ale but still has all the right tastes. No wonder is has an overall A- on BA.

Finally got to try Dogfish Head Punkin Ale for the first time. It tastes similar to most other quality pumpkin beers, just better. I've only had 4 or 5 other pumpkin beers, but Punkin Ale is now my preference.

I also bought some Brooklyn Oktoberfest and Victory Festbier. Both were good, but being able to do a direct side-by-side comparison the Festbier came out on top. It just had a much fuller, and better, flavor. You wont be disappointed with either one though.

Lastly I got some Ayinger Celebrator, based solely on the fact that its rated as the 25th best beer on BA. Just read the reviews, it is that good.

I never had it before so I only wanted to get a single bottle or two. I saw the store had 4-packs so I went to the single-bottle section to look there. The store had all the pumpkin beers next to each other, except there was no Punkin Ale to be found. I thought for a second they had sold out but then I just got angry and started digging in the shelf. Turns out someone had pushed back ALL of the Punkin Ale bottles behind all the other beers and had turned the labels to the back so you couldn't see which beer it was.

Way to try to hide delicious beer from people, asshole. If you want to keep it for yourself, buy it, don't hide it.

Had the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA last night. It's good, but doesn't really stand out from most other IPA's.

Hey Deathrazor, I'll be up in your part of the country this weekend... what are some tasty microbrews in your neck of the woods.

Honestly, all the microbrews we get in South Dakota come from places like Kansas City, Minnesota, and Nebraska. There are a couple more local ones like Big Sky, Brau Brothers, and one or two more, but I haven't had the opportunity to check them out. But if you end up in Sioux Falls check out a place called Monks, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Honestly, all the microbrews we get in South Dakota come from places like Kansas City, Minnesota, and Nebraska. There are a couple more local ones like Big Sky, Brau Brothers, and one or two more, but I haven't had the opportunity to check them out. But if you end up in Sioux Falls check out a place called Monks, you shouldn't be disappointed.

I'm actually going to be one state east of your location, Minnesota. Have you tried anything by Surly or Summit brewing?

Surly has a lot of amazing beers, and Summit is good too. Unfortunately I wouldn't know where in MN to go as far as good places for lots of micros and imports, but beeradvocate is always your friend.

I'm actually going to be one state east of your location, Minnesota. Have you tried anything by Surly or Summit brewing?

During my time in North Dakota this summer I sampled most of the Summit line. Pretty much everything I tried of theirs was quite good. I think the Extra Pale Ale was the best though.

Oh thanks chaps - I want to do a US visit when I can to the more Northern States - without children and this looks like somewhere I'd like to try.

Hmm, I wonder what it would cost in Oregon. Oh well.

Anyone here a pumpkin beer fan? Dogfish Head Punkin Ale comes out in a week or so, I'm very excited to try it. I've had Smuttynose, Southern Tier, and Jack's pumpkin offerings. They were all ok, nothing special. I just like to get a case for October/November/Thanksgiving time and have one every now and then, plus it grabs people's attention right away when they come over.

I had a pumpkin beer for the first time this week...it was bloody fantastic. Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale...I think I'm in love :lol: Also had Duvel for the first time...damn I've been missing out.

Wohoo. Just scored some Samuel Adams Double Bock.

At $10 for 4 bottles, it better be good!

Now my fridge is full of Sam Adams brews - I have the Octoberfest six-pack, the Brewmaster variety pack and the Blueberry witbier.

That does sound like an awful lot for a Sam Adams 4-pack. Let us know how it is!

The Sam Adams Double Bock is amazing, and well worth the $10 for a 4-pack. Seriously, it's probably their best beer. On the other end of the spectrum is their Irish Red, which is nothing special....