Beer

I realized I forgot to post the photo of my NYE champagne raplcements here. Because proper beer > champagne.
10419000_10153739140795575_196656249286445385_n.jpg

Left to right:
Hertog Jan Grand Prestige: A Dutch take on barley wine. A heavy, malty, sweet almost black beer with 10% ABV.
Gulden Draak 3rd Brewmaster's Edition: A heavy Belgian ale aged in whiskey barrels. 10.5% ABV, not for the faint of heart. The whiskey barrels lend a very specific taste to the beer, very complex and deep taste, one of the best I've had.
Chimay Grande R?serve 2014: Deep, syrupy Belgian Trappist, very nice and a lot better than the "normal" 33cl bottles.

Channeling my inner Russian

5U0SQ6a.jpg

Er Belgian style India Pale Ale (IPA) - I think not. IPA is a British style ale brewed for long life so it can be exported to India/Australia/US and Canada etc. - nothing Belgian about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_pale_ale

from your link:

Contemporary American IPAs are typically brewed with distinctively American hops, such as Cascade, Centennial, Citra, Columbus, Chinook, Simcoe, Amarillo, Tomahawk, Warrior, and Nugget.

East Coast IPAs are distinguished from West Coast IPAs by a stronger malt presence, which balances the intensity of the hops, whereas hops are more prominent in the western brews, possibly because of the proximity of West Coast breweries to hop fields in the Pacific Northwest. East Coast breweries rely more on spicier European hops and specialty malts than those on the West Coast.[24][25][26]

IPA is like 'red wine', tells you something about the type of liquid, but nothing more...each region has his own variation
and we Belgians, we also make some a lot of variations

Last edited:
Hobgoblin Gold is good, but Greene King St. Edmunds Golden beer is gooder.

<3 Golden beers

Went for something darker today. Thank you Systembolaget for importing this to Sweden.

l0TcHPK.jpg

Er Belgian style India Pale Ale (IPA) - I think not. IPA is a British style ale brewed for long life so it can be exported to India/Australia/US and Canada etc. - nothing Belgian about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_pale_ale

from your link:

IPA is like 'red wine', tells you something about the type of liquid, but nothing more...each region has his own variation
and we Belgians, we also make some a lot of variations

:lol:

Spotted 5 bottles of La Folie 2015 at my local supermarket yesterday and grabbed all of them immediately. Emailed their beer buyer about 2016 availability - he told me he'd find out, but meanwhile he could get me a bottle of 2014. Excited to pick that up today after work.

I now have 3 years of La Folie. Excited to do a vertical tasting.

This Sunday i competed in the Great Breweries Marathon.

Although i didn't join those crazy fucks running the actual marathon, i took the easier route and walked 25KM with 2 friends.

Along the route there were three degustations of the breweries that hosted the events. Palm (now owned by Bavaria), Bosteels (Tripel Karmeliet) and the world famous Moortgat (Duvel).

Many fun was had.

From the start it was quite obvious that Moortgat is the main sponsor of the event, financially and marketing.
Along the route they put up many plaques with slogans with a beer them of which the next two are my favorites:

UbNc7co.jpg

PMDyQI3.jpg

Oh yeah, and the beer was good too.

And the prize for finishing:

0hcZSQx.jpg

Last edited:
I scored two cases of Brewdog's Helheim Hop for 18 euros a pop, 75 cents a bottle from the Helsinki-Tallinn ferry. They expire in about a week, but is that a problem? :lol:

Finally went through my bottle collection because I'm moving soon. Counted 227. This is at best a third of everything I've tried - I used to have a spreadsheet where I kept track but lost the file a few years ago right as I was passing the 500 mark.

(the liquor bottles were just space fillers for the picture and are in no way representative of the small liquor bottle collection I also have)

Last edited:
As there were no clouds blocking the sun, and temperature was nice enough, i went for a drive with my bike. It could be the last one this year.
Upon my journey i had this marvelous idea to go to the Chimay abbey. Although i failed to reach it before dawn, i did manage to go to their 'official' (?) shop/hotel/restaurant Espace Cimay.

There i went for food which was ok. But i wasn't planning on leaving withouth a souvenir.

As i crossed the french border during my travels today it seemed most fitting to buy some cheese.

DSC_0163 by Philip Minnebach, on Flickr

After paying i looked around some more and i saw this bottle. Chimay Grande R?serve Vieillie En Barriques.
At around ?17 certainly not cheap. But it is gonna be soo delicious.

DSC_0164 by Philip Minnebach, on Flickr

Picked up a case of this, since it's the holiday season. Not a bad beer.

20161113_112509.jpg