Beer

I realized I forgot to post the photo of my NYE champagne raplcements here. Because proper beer > champagne.
10419000_10153739140795575_196656249286445385_n.jpg

Left to right:
Hertog Jan Grand Prestige: A Dutch take on barley wine. A heavy, malty, sweet almost black beer with 10% ABV.
Gulden Draak 3rd Brewmaster's Edition: A heavy Belgian ale aged in whiskey barrels. 10.5% ABV, not for the faint of heart. The whiskey barrels lend a very specific taste to the beer, very complex and deep taste, one of the best I've had.
Chimay Grande R?serve 2014: Deep, syrupy Belgian Trappist, very nice and a lot better than the "normal" 33cl bottles.

Tjhis year's shopping has been started as well, procured today:
photo_2016-11-28_20-36-40.jpg

Gulden Draak Brewmaster's edition 2016, hope it's as good as the 2015, Spencer's Trappist Ale, and their Holiday Ale. I might open one or more of them before NYE happens...

Tjhis year's shopping has been started as well, procured today:
photo_2016-11-28_20-36-40.jpg

Gulden Draak Brewmaster's edition 2016, hope it's as good as the 2015, Spencer's Trappist Ale, and their Holiday Ale. I might open one or more of them before NYE happens...

I had a Spencer's Trappist Ale last weekend in Boston. It really is a fantastic beer.

Tried the Spencer Trappist Ale some while ago, it sucked.

But i do approve the Gulden Draak! :drool:

To adus pic... nom!

6da0901cba03046095c59834b171b702.jpg

This time i went full on italian (visiting Espoo for a business trip and here you have slightly better selection of beers than in my home town Jyv?skyl?). Never seen Baladin beers in Alko before.

Had my first winter warmer/Christmas ale of the season last night.

q2D1Wksl.jpg

had some weird aftertaste that I can't put my finger on. Almost like pure cinnamon spice. At first it was pretty bad, but after a few sips I came around to it. Can't say I'd pay for another one, but wouldn't say no if offered one either.. 3/5

I now have 3 years of La Folie. Excited to do a vertical tasting.

Almost exactly a year later
GKViaLp.jpg

4! 4 years of beers ah aha ah!

Is there a way I could get this:

518bdfa55d07fa6bb08b1f2787a6cbe6.jpeg

Shipped to 'Murcia?

The beer aficionado's among you may have heard that our most famous Duvel brewery did something special again.
No whiskey this time, but they kept using barrels.

This time they put Duvel in bourbon barrels for 6 months.

The result; Duvel Barrel Aged.

Today was the "official" release date, when it would be available in stores.
And because of this limited availability (24.750 bottles of 75cl) i took half a day off from work to go search for it.

At first i went to our local supermarket, which according to the press release should have it in stock. But ... they didn't.
Then i called to 2 other stores around to hear if they had it, but again, same story. "Maybe" tomorrow or next week.

I wasn't gonna go that vacation go to waste, so i called 2 local beer distribution shops. But again, they too didn't have it in store.

Then i turned to my last option: Untappd.
I checked where other people bought it, and i found a store in Lokeren. (mind you, i'm from Antwerp, 40km's away).
Called them, and for sure, they had some. I asked if they could keep 2 bottles on the side for me, which she was very willing to.

Into the car, and 45 minutes later i got there. And i tried to press my luck and asked if they had more bottles in store and if they were willing to sell them to me.
And so i came into possession of 4 bottles of this glorious Duvel Barrel Aged.

6LE8WAJ.jpg

But then it hit me, i need the appropriate glasses to drink from. And the card in the box suggested 16,5cl degustation glasses. Which i didn't have, yet.

So my journey continued, to the Duvel brewery itself and have a visit of their official store.

lX86tN9.jpg

But then it hit me, again! They have Duvel cheese. But again i pressed my luck, but w/o success this time. I had to go to the cheese maker themselves: Van Tricht.

So ... journey blabla.

rEOYoKW.jpg

tIR1mZy.jpg

And boy, did i find cheese.

And not only that, but somewhat of another unicorn too. The Horal Geuze Megablend 2017.

sIVpPNS.jpg

And to top it off, when i came home i found a parking spot at about 100m from my door. Which is a rare thing in this city center.

So my loot from today:

4PVjTOg.jpg

I'm a sucker for gadgets.

So my journey for today, 117km of driving around.
Those of you familiar with Belgium, and it's traffic, know that this was indeed a great journey.

kwZ6CwY.png

A day i hopefully don't have to repeat anytime soon.

they didn't have the beer in the brewery shop? :lol:
i didn't know about this new type though!

only last week i discovered the duvel citra :bangin:

They had a limited run last week, but it was sold out like ... immediately.
I thought about getting out of bed early, but so it seems everybody had the same idea.

At least i didn't waste my time standing in line behind some alcoholics.

And now, i have 4 bottles. :lol: <3

Stay quiet while the grown ups are talking!

I did it again. :(

In need of beer for NYE, i went out in search for something precious.

First i traveled to the source of one of our finest beers, brewery Het Anker.

IMG_20171010_134741 by Philip Minnebach, on Flickr

Then i went to one of my favorite stores here. Not because of the beer, but because they have massive selection of accompanying glasses that go with the beer.

IMG_20171010_144709 by Philip Minnebach, on Flickr

And these are the beers:

IMG_20171010_165751 by Philip Minnebach, on Flickr

IMG_20171010_165849 by Philip Minnebach, on Flickr

IMG_20171010_165913 by Philip Minnebach, on Flickr

These are for NYE:

IMG_20171010_165921 by Philip Minnebach, on Flickr

Some glasses:

IMG_20171010_165626 by Philip Minnebach, on Flickr

And i also got some Liquid Oak (? IceBone)

IMG_20171010_170033 by Philip Minnebach, on Flickr

Last edited:
I decided to order the beers for nye (because fuck champagne) a little early this year. And then I decided that the embrasse was too small at only 0.66l, so I drank that last weekend already. Holy fuck. The peatiness is so well done, and really complements the taste of the beer itself.
bc8982c93500397863b0636630ca4d0c.jpg
4b024bef25072f5aa63569434ad968ac.jpg
079023bdb4a851644c7e3055065f8db1.jpg
de2785e6551f09811eab190e470520e8.jpg

Opened up this bottle last weekend with a buddy of mine

986CaNo.png

Really well balanced flavor, not over powering. A very pleasant citrus-cherry flavor. Wouldn't mind another, but haven't seen it in stores for a while (the one I had has been in my fridge for 3-4 months).

Also, my latest kick has been DIPAs. Can't get enough of them. Especially since there are so many local microbreweries here that each make one, so lots to try.

Britney-Spears-Oops...I-Did-It-Again-Uncut-Bloopers-1080p-HD_thumb2880.jpg

Oops i did it again.

Cows don't stop giving milk, and no farmer wil resist the temptation to milk.

And as such, Duvel saw it fit to release a second batch of Duvel Barel Aged.
Same formula, same beer. Only the packaging says "batch #2", and serve at 8?C instead of 10?C.

MBSEj8c.jpg

Aaaaaaaand, this time they gave a free glass with every bottle. :drool::wub:

swF9z2e.jpg

gfTPEzw.jpg

This is a nice addition to compensate for the high price of ?25 per bottle. Especially since a normal glass goes between 5 and 10 euro depending on the size.

Britney-Spears-Oops...I-Did-It-Again-Uncut-Bloopers-1080p-HD_thumb2880.jpg

Oops i did it again.

Cows don't stop giving milk, and no farmer wil resist the temptation to milk.

And as such, Duvel saw it fit to release a second batch of Duvel Barel Aged.
Same formula, same beer. Only the packaging says "batch #2", and serve at 8?C instead of 10?C.

MBSEj8c.jpg

Aaaaaaaand, this time they gave a free glass with every bottle. :drool::wub:

swF9z2e.jpg

gfTPEzw.jpg

This is a nice addition to compensate for the high price of ?25 per bottle. Especially since a normal glass goes between 5 and 10 euro depending on the size.

Well, are you saving one for me?