Beer

Higher mark-ups on American “craft beers”, perhaps? German beer tends to be a commodity... and yes, Paulaner is piss.

Reactions: MWF
25758894-D3CE-401F-8983-B02779C45E55.jpeg
9E7D1ACF-8224-43AF-8808-255CB8351C25.jpeg

Hmm. Hopefully the Buckeyes haven’t muddled it up. @MWF

I couldn’t find it easily because this is filed under midwestern beers and not Imported.

@93Flareside Yeah BrewDog is made under licence across the globe. They are a very ethically driven company and of course local manufacturing mean massive reductions in carbon footprint from transport.

and they all use local water?
then the beer must either be really artificial, or taste different between breweries!

Well next time I see 93Flareside I'll make sure we have our own versions of the same brews and we can do a taste test. Could be interesting although not sure exactly when that will be.

Well next time I see 93Flareside I'll make sure we have our own versions of the same brews and we can do a taste test. Could be interesting although not sure exactly when that will be.

That would be nice, I imagine water and perhaps where hops are purchased.

Alright, so I've tried all but the Elvis juice. The seasonal was Clockwork Tangerine. So far, these all tasted very similar to each other with hardly a difference besides different intensities of IPA hop flavor. While not a fan of IPA's, the Punk or Hazy Jane were probably the best yet. The tangerine basically just smelled of fruit but none of the flavor was transferred to the beer. The hop flavor was just muted a bit. Will try the Elvis Juice either tonight or tomorrow.

I found the tangerine similarly disappointing. The Elvis Juice is much better. It actually has fruit flavours not just aromas.

I found the tangerine similarly disappointing. The Elvis Juice is much better. It actually has fruit flavours not just aromas.

yup, same things. I’d like to try the other ones at some point. Tonight I am having a second evening of this german stuff.

ECCFE5DD-9A36-4621-86FC-19784056A035.jpeg

it's the most wonderful time of the yeeeeear

(Oktoberfest/Märzen is my favorite style. Give coco malty goodness.)

and they all use local water?
then the beer must either be really artificial, or taste different between breweries!

Not only that, but if you're getting hops from local farms, that alone will make a difference I'm sure. Most of these guys all use the same equipment, I've started up a few Wolf dryers and Kaspar-Schulz equipment that had my companies burner on it.

i assumed those are sent to the breweries by the headoffice?
if not, every licensed brewery can ruin their name by using inferior ingredients

i assumed those are sent to the breweries by the headoffice?
if not, every licensed brewery can ruin their name by using inferior ingredients

Much like the automotive brands, They will source locally, but with a specific set of parameters that they work with. In theory, they should be close to being the same, in practice of course that always changes. Not knowing Brew Dog, if what @MWF says is right, I would think they're sourcing locally as much as they can to prevent the carbon footprint of beer making to get too high.

I'd try it, if only to satisfy my curiosity.

Some Finnish breweries have tried it but it's very tricky to produce beer using anything that's as fatty as bacon.

I would like to say, this tastes like rotting veggies with a dash of ashtray.

CF9EF1B0-1F78-4875-BC4A-C3347B31BA3A.jpeg

Last edited: