Beginner sports car/exotic, unlimited budget.

Aleksei

Car(s)
Ford Mustang (Temporary/Loaner)
First of all, first time ever posting to the forums, hi guys. :)

Anyway... a friend of mine recently came into a lot of money via a very lucrative lawsuit settlement, which will be paid out when she turns 18 in about six months. She likes fast, nice-looking cars, so she'll be getting a sports car off the bat. Here's the thing though -- she's never actually driven a sports car, and although she has a nearly limitless budget for buying one (she obviously can't afford a 7-figure hypercar, but she could almost certainly afford something like an F12), I think it's probably a good idea for her to ease into the supercar game in a car that isn't going to kill her if she makes a mistake. So, I'm thinking something that's nice-looking, small, light, fun, has a nice enough ride/interior that you could actually drive the thing (e.g. not a track machine), and has grippy/forgiving/easy handling.

Some thoughts I've already had:

-Alfa Romeo 4C
-Porsche Cockster :mrgreen:
-BMW Z4
-BMW i8

Does anyone else have other suggestions?

Tell her to start with an NC Miata before blowing a ton of money on something and running it into a light pole. Once shes comfortable in that, then she can upgrade to the Alfa or a C7 (what I would take over the 4 you listed.... or the new GT350) or something.

I know that a really cliche answer, especially the Miata part, but in my opinion, jumping right into a Porsche or Z4 is really stupid if you've never driven something like that.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a suggestion that's not a Japanese pocket rocket?

Way to come off as a dick, you asked for begginer sports car advice, we're giving it to you. Of course she can get a Porsche 911 Turbo S or a Z06 C7 Vette or a F-Type R Coupe as her first sports car, and we'll see how that goes. Seems like you're the one against the Japanese cars, not her, but I suppose I'll suggest an Ecoboost Mustang.

Last edited:
Actually she wanted to buy a C7 Stingray, I told her that was probably a little too lairy, and decided to do some digging around on her behalf. I have nothing (much) against Japanese cars, and I actually intend to buy a Miata as my next car, until I have enough money to buy a better one. I just think that someone that wants a car half for the aesthetics of it and has money to waste, would want something better than what is basically the cheapest driver's car on the market.

I do, however, actually have something against muscle cars. I'm not inclined to recommend her something that has all the handling precision of a speedboat.

If it has to be a car, I would recommend a NC/ND Miata, to let her learn about car handling dynamics and how much X hp/weight feels like.

Alternatively, this is what I'd strongly, strongly, suggest: A good accountant, a good financial planner, and having the funds invested to give her yearly dividends like a 'salary'.

Alternatively, this is what I'd strongly, strongly, suggest: A good accountant, a good financial planner, and having the funds invested to give her yearly dividends like a 'salary'.

That. Get something fun, and set aside most of the cash for a rainy day. If the funds don't allow both, just set it aside for a rainy day.

Beyond asking questions about ownership costs/issues, asking people on the internet what type of car you should buy is pointless. Drive ones you like the look of and make up your own mind.
Asking what type of car your friend should buy with their hypothetical money is even more pointless.
Apologies if that comes off as a bit dickish, but there you go.

Whatever she buys she needs to take to an autocross and/or track day and get some instruction. Otherwise, hello lamp post.

Either that or Miata to learn to drive on + a Bentley to pimp with.

edit: better yet, tell her to buy an entry-level 3-series like all 18yo chicks want to do and save the rest for spray tans, ecstasy, bail, and most importantly college tuition and a downpayment on a house when she graduates.

Last edited:
Fido barks the numbers.

Tell your "friend" to take her lawsuit winnings (yeah, not sketchy at all) and prepare for her future with them (trusted accountant and financial advisor). She can get whatever car she wants, stuff it, and then repeat the process of suing.

Last edited:
edit: better yet, tell her to buy an entry-level 3-series like all 18yo chicks want to do and save the rest for spray tans, ecstasy, bail, and most importantly college tuition

Looks like you've met my exgirlfriend...

edit: better yet, tell her to buy an entry-level 3-series like all 18yo chicks want to do and save the rest for spray tans, ecstasy, bail, and most importantly college tuition and a downpayment on a house when she graduates.

You forgot coke.

While the smart choice is saving the money, if she really does want a fast car I'd recommend working up to it and not jumping directly into the deep end, especially at 18 and the lack of experience behind the wheel that comes with that.

For example I personally bought a relatively cheap 10 year old Mustang for the sole purpose of getting use to a car with a fair amount of horsepower and rear wheel drive. After driving that for quite a while and getting use to it in all of the various conditions, especially rain, I went out and bought my Viper. If I had gone straight into a Viper, I'm sure I would have smashed it into a curb by now.

A Corvette is a lot more tame than my car but it can still easily bite you.

Actually she wanted to buy a C7 Stingray, I told her that was probably a little too lairy, and decided to do some digging around on her behalf. I have nothing (much) against Japanese cars, and I actually intend to buy a Miata as my next car, until I have enough money to buy a better one. I just think that someone that wants a car half for the aesthetics of it and has money to waste, would want something better than what is basically the cheapest driver's car on the market.

I do, however, actually have something against muscle cars. I'm not inclined to recommend her something that has all the handling precision of a speedboat.

Base Cayman or Boxster then. They're pretty slow for their price but have all the badge that it sounds like you and she are looking for, but incidentally are really good driver's cars.

Base Cayman or Boxster then. They're pretty slow for their price but have all the badge that it sounds like you and she are looking for, but incidentally are really good driver's cars.

What about a base V6 Jag F-Type? I don't actually know how those are to drive, but they sure do have the looks.