Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 3.6%

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

Icedvovo

Car(s)
XJ Jeep, Volvo 142s, Manx Buggy, AE82 Corolla
Not sure if this is in the right area for this thread, but here we go...

Just read Ben Collin's book - The Man in The White Suit.

I absolutely loved it.

Got for Christmas and I read it in just in just over a day. I found it a very easy read and surprisingly a very entertaining read.

Regardless of what TG may say or elude to, it appears that from BC's account there was no actual sacking, and that he simply left after 8 years of playing the Stig character to pursue his racing career.

Personally I found that to be a perfectly plausible explanation after reading the book.

I thought the book was a great blend of TG stuff, bits about his army training and an insight into his racing career so far. Nicely written and well paced.

Great job Ben. I wish you great success in the future.

Last edited:
I struggled to get through it tbh. I skim read it over a few hours as I was watching the cricket but I never really got into it. It's written in a very similar style to Richard Hammond's books (probably the same author) and I mentioned before it reads like a That's Life womens magazine article. His stories as The Stig dont really uncover a whole lot we dont already know although he's particularly scathing of Andy Wilman.

I struggled to get through it tbh. I skim read it over a few hours as I was watching the cricket but I never really got into it. It's written in a very similar style to Richard Hammond's books (probably the same author) and I mentioned before it reads like a That's Life womens magazine article. His stories as The Stig dont really uncover a whole lot we dont already know although he's particularly scathing of Andy Wilman.

Mmmmkay. I didn't 'skim read' it, I read every word. I didn't find it scathing to anyone at all, least of all Wilman. He was mentioned maybe a dozen times and came across quite well. I'm struggling to think of anything negative he said about him.

tbh I suggest you actually read the book.

Last edited:
It's an ok book to be honest. Nice to know what the man behind the suit thinks. I guess this is Ben's way of letting his voice be heard. However, he knew of the anonymity required in becoming the Stig when he first signed up. He even acknowledges this in the book yet he decided to turn his back on it and thus creating all this fuss.

Even with that, I think it's still a win-win for everyone. Ben gets to move on with the moniker of being the driver formerly known as the Stig and gets to appear with full credits in Fifth Gear. TG gets new film ideas and we get to see the birth of a new Stig.

All the best to Ben. I would've preferred a more amicable parting but he was the one who instigated all this furore by not honouring his contract. Maybe FG will get new ideas and make their show more racing oriented now that they have him on board. Just make sure he doesn't talk much because judging from his recent car reviews, he doesn't really seem to have the charisma nor personality to present an entertaining car review that's not just about statistics. I can get that kind of car reviews in abundance on Youtube.

It wasn't a bad read. A little dry in parts but I expected this. Good luck to him. Just please don't do stuff like this. I cringed when I saw it.

Ben gets to move on with the moniker of being the driver formerly known as the Stig and gets to appear with full credits in Fifth Gear.

I reckon that was the kicker. Imagine working for 8 years on a high profile TV show without getting any credit whatsoever.

I see he's been added to the IMDB Top Gear listing as 'The Stig (uncredited)', which is good to see.

I reckon that was the kicker. Imagine working for 8 years on a high profile TV show without getting any credit whatsoever.

I see he's been added to the IMDB Top Gear listing as 'The Stig (uncredited)', which is good to see.

Imagine signing a contract to say that you will not reveal your identity.

Imagine going behind the backs of friends and producers who had employed you for almost a decade, releasing your name to the public and destroying an integral part of the show that has been well over a decade in the making.

True scum.

Imagine going behind the backs of friends and producers who had employed you for almost a decade, releasing your name to the public and destroying an integral part of the show that has been well over a decade in the making.

True scum.

Imagine getting worked up for such a minor thing.

Just picked up the book. Haven't read it yet.

To be completely honest, there shouldn't be any hard feelings about BC's leave. The Stig character is really a paradox. The stig character is famous and has a huge fan base. The same cannot be said about the man behind the racing suit. Although BC probably received very good compensation for the suppression of his identity as the stig, he could not stay this way forever. Leaving a position at the peak of one's popularity is always the best exit timing.

True scum.

Well if you read the book and his version of events, he felt he was being pushed out of the role. There was a lot of speculation about the identity of The Stig and he felt the BBC and Top Gear wasnt doing enough to protect his identity. I think it's only fair he got some recognition as he was an integral part of Top Gear as the fourth presenter and was instrumental in ensuring Top Gear went from pokey little motoring show to one of the most popular TV shows in the world. The book was only published after he left the show, he didn't break any contracts as far as I know so I dont see the big problem.

I tried to read it, but had to stop, it was just crap.
Dont like the man, dont like his book. I hope his racing career flops!

I had to read it for my term paper. The Top Gear parts I read and the others I just skipped or read one or two pages. Some of it was quite interessting but for me it wasn't a very good book :(

I had always assumed the definitive 'outing' was his mention in the official Health and Safety investigation into Hammond's jet car crash. I don't know about anyone else, but that document sealed the Stig's identity for me.

I think it all started to unravel from that document and he says as much in the book.

I've also just had a 4 hour drive to ponder the Andy Wilman angle. I don't reckon it's a coldness towards him, but more a simple respect for the 'Gov'ner'. Army folk are like that.

Of the stories in the book, I wished he'd told more of his time at Bathurst with the Kelly Brothers. Maybe what happens in the Team Kelly Limo stays in the Limo. :)

Last edited:
Bit of a pet peeve, but the OP stated if you actually read the book. Not if you started it, but never finished. Or skimmed through it in 6 minutes at the book store and didn't buy it. Or a few excerpts here and there. But actually read the whole book. If you didn't read the whole thing, than you haven't read it.

It's like those people who say a movie sucked because they fell asleep 5 minutes into it. If I've seen the teaser trailer, than I've seen more of the movie than you.

OK - haven't read the book yet but most certainly will.

In all honesty though if you employed a guy for what, 8 years, rode him for his talent (because possibly no one on the show has any driving talent - but I digress) and expected no future drama I would suggest naivety on the part of the producers/stars.

The guy isn't a grass at all. How many of you would work for an employer, be integral to the 'companies' success, and expect no recognition.

What happened with Black Stig anyway?

Food for thought.

Black Stig was a better writer, but it's okay. 6/10. Interesting content, but presented like he had to write a narrative for class. Some of the descriptive bits like the start of Chapter 1 feel a bit forced, IMHO. Still, it's interesting enough just to hear things from his perspective. The bit about "auditioning" for the Stig was pretty cool, especially with his explanation of what Andy wanted from that driver and such.

I got a hold of a free copy and read it... It had some interesting bits, mostly of his behind the scenes accounts of some challenges, but otherwise it was a struggle to get through it...
All I ever knew was the Stig, who sucks moisture from ducks, and therefore feel no real bond to Ben Collins, the human, and do not care for his life story.

All I ever knew was the Stig, who sucks moisture from ducks, and therefore feel no real bond to Ben Collins, the human, and do not care for his life story.

This is the bit that I find odd about the whole affair. The TG Lads are bagging the Stig, calling him a Judas and wot not, when in fact they're attacking the wrong person. They're attacking the fictional character, not the real man behind the mask. And presumably we'll soon get a new Stig, after they've ripped shit out of the character.

I'm finding it all increasingly bizarre.

Last edited:
I can only assume they dont want to pubicly name Collins in order to minimise the exposure he's getting. I've always thought Top Gear have acted well, childish over this whole saga. Collins was damned if he did and damned if he didnt.