BERK IN A MERC

I just love the last 2 lines

Clarkson said:
But anyway, I am taking steps to prevent this sort of thing happening again. I am fitting my car with very dark tinted windows.

Oh, and can I just say that the reason I was only doing 70 is that I was driving a 40 year old car. And it wouldn't go any faster

Classic Clarkson

The people who think the trees should be blurred are idiots. The photo is taken at an angle and therefore the trees are effectively coming towards you at the same angle. This combined with the fact that it's daylight (so a fast shutter speed is possible) and the trees are quote far away, on the other side of the other carriageway, given that we drive on the left hand side, means there would be no blur.

While I would like to believe that JC's probably making that one up for comedy effect, given the huge number of unbelievably crazy laws the UK still has, it wouldn't come as any surprise if it was true. I live about half a mile inside Nottingham's city boundaries. Mundane tasks such as going to Sainsbury's, or the dump, or friends' houses for barbecues... many of these occurrences find me going to Beeston, barely a mile away, but outside the city boundaries. Maybe one or two trips back from Beeston in the last five and a half years have involved me carrying a box of six eggs back from Sainsbury's... and in all the rest - hundreds of trips - I've been breaking the law. I must be public enemy number one, two, three and four! Lock me up and throw away the key!

I assure you, batshit insane laws are not limited to the UK.
For example, in the US, technically, you're supposed to hire a flagman to signal you out of the driveway.

James' take on things in the Telegraph

if508z.jpg

Great stuff.

Wow, Jeremy seriously has good taste in cars, I had no idea he had a 600!

He mentions it in his latest column in the TG mag, mostly complaining about how it's made of rust and is falling apart. :lol:

[/5 other pages where it could have already been mentioned and I didn't realise]

Clarkson dodges phoning at wheel rap

Clarkson dodges phoning at wheel rap

Top Gear star Jeremy Clarkson dodges phoning at wheel rap

Mar 29 2008

TOP Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has escaped prosecution for talking on his mobile phone while driving at 70mph.

Clarkson 47, was warned he could face two years in prison and a fine after being pictured using his mobile while belting along the M40 three weeks ago.

But yesterday, Thames Valley police admitted he would only receive a letter warning him about his actions after detectives ruled they had insufficient evidence to bring charges.

Furious safety groups last night blasted the decision.

Brake campaign boss Cathy Keeler said: "This sends out all the wrong messages.

"Talking on your mobile while driving makes you four times more likely to have an accident and such actions undoubtedly cause deaths on our roads."

Association of British Drivers spokesman Hugh Bladon added: "It appears there could be one rule for celebrities and another for the rest of us."

Clarkson initially denied the allegation.

But branding the law "daft" in a newspaper column, he later claimed: "If you can't drive and talk at the same time, you really are a complete spanner."
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entert...n-dodges-phoning-at-wheel-rap-86908-20366541/

Clarkson 47, was warned he could face two years in prison and a fine after being pictured using his mobile while belting along the M40 three weeks ago.
catching criminals = hard, so why not lock up 'easy jobs' for 2 years so all the prisons seem packed and everybody thinks uk police is doing a great job?

2 years for talking on the phone, are they serious?

The Mirror was really upset about him not being prosecuted, today. :D Don't get me wrong; people who use their phones whilst driving should be prosecuted, but you do have to be able to identify them whilst they are doing it. As you can not see his face in the photo, there was never going to be a conviction.

I cannot believe this even went this far. 2 years is ridiculous.

I see many people on their phones while driving to and from work, would it be perfectly acceptable for me to take pictures of these randoms in their cars breaking the law? How utterly stupid. YES, they shouldn't be on the phone. YES, it's illegal. But taking photos of someone doing it, is just laughable.

The Mirror was really upset about him not being prosecuted, today. :D Don't get me wrong; people who use their phones whilst driving should be prosecuted, but you do have to be able to identify them whilst they are doing it. As you can not see his face in the photo, there was never going to be a conviction.

VOICE OF THE DAILY Mirror: Faming liberty

29/03/2008

Jeremy Clarkson was caught bang to rights after he was snapped by a Mirror reader gabbling on his mobile while belting down a motorway.

The motormouth even admitted it and boasted he wanted blacked-out windows so he won't be caught again.

Yet he's to be let off with a legal slap on the wrist while Ingrid Tarrant escaped a ban and Kate Moss was never prosecuted despite snorting cocaine.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/voiceo...e-daily-mirror-faming-liberty-89520-20366592/

Think The Mirror is more upset that Jezza writes for The Sun and they couldn't nail him:p

While Jezza said he was listening to an iPod, doesn't he use an iPhone:?

Last edited:
I see many people on their phones while driving to and from work, would it be perfectly acceptable for me to take pictures of these randoms in their cars breaking the law? How utterly stupid. YES, they shouldn't be on the phone. YES, it's illegal. But taking photos of someone doing it, is just laughable.

I don't know about where you are in Queensland but in New South Wales last year they brought in laws allowing police to prosecute people for reckless driving offences based on mobile phone photos/videos supplied by the public.

And they say we in Germany are obsessed with rules and regulations... tsss :D

I never saw such hysteria here over the "misbehaviour" of a celebrity. Then again, we also don't have such controversial persons as Jeremy Clarkson.

What a pity...

Greetings,

Frank

come on. 2 years for "listening to your ipod" while driving? (i believe everything Jeremy tells me)

It is all over the www of lies about what an outrage he is not bein prosecuted over such a serious offense. Me and my co workers are having a good laugh.

I would rather be on the road with Jeremy playing a banjo, juggling knives, AND listening to his ipod than my own mother with both hands on the wheel. (She has never been in an accident, but I shutter to think how many she has probably caused.)