Bernie proves he's mad

settler

Car(s)
VW Corrado VR6
I just don't have words to say how big moron he is lately.

While discussing Senna and his premature death, Bernie Ecclestone effectively said:

Senna?s death was ?Very unfortunate, but the publicity it generated was huge. That was very good for Formula One.?

If that wasn?t enough, he then exclaimed:

?It was a tragedy that we lost Ayrton, but these things happen. He was very popular, but a lot of the people who did not know about Formula One found out about it by the publicity generated by his death?

So Senna's death was good because it helped Bernie get more money. :x

http://www.formula1blog.com/2009/10/18/ecclestone-sennas-death-good-for-formula-one/

fail-whale1.jpg

Sigh. Then again...if Bernie was to meet an...unfortunate accident as well....

Harsh it might be, that is indeed a valid point.

Fair and true.

And I'll reserve my comments about Senna, or else the whole F1 forum will jump down my throat with personal insults.

Last edited:
erm, he's actually right.
Earning money for Bernie aside, after Senna's death a HUGE amount of people got into a sport they never heard of before...

Harsh it might be, that is indeed a valid point.
It is, but a man in his position should not say such things openly. Everyone's entitled to have his and her very personal view on things, but we all know that there are certain thoughts which we should keep to ourselves in certain moments. Bernie seemingly thinks otherwise.

Last edited:
He can say whatever he pleases. He is entitled to have his own opinion, just because he is the most influential character in F1, doesn't mean he can't speak his mind openly.

This is no different than his Nazi comment, it's the media that wants to build a story on this.

Okay ... so my mom has a huge bum. I know she has a huge bum, it is a fact. Should I tell her next time I see her, because it is my opinion, which I am entitled to?

I agree with the Interceptor here. Yes it is his opinion, and yes he is right, Senna's death was huge in bringing people to F1. But as the COMMERCIAL boss of F1, he knows he shouldn't be saying this kind of stuff. He's the guy in charge of F1's image you know...

^- This. There are several things other than "free to speak your mind" and "being right" to consider once you're in the spotlight, or even every time anyone talks in public... Things like tact, respect (for the dead, in this case, which is an important value in our culture), decency.... all these are qualities he seems to be lacking lately, be it this Senna or the Hitler comment.

I don't really have a problem with what he is saying, it's the truth. He could've worded it a bit better though.

If there was a documentary made on the history of Formula 1, they probably would mention how the death of Senna raised the profile of Formula 1.

You are mixing up here two things.

Yes he's right about that increase of popularity, but saying that Ayrton's death was good for the sport is bullshit.

First of all saying that death of a man is a good thing because he got more money is just... wrong. And most important for me it would be better for F1 if Ayrton Senna would drive couple more years. So he's death was not only sad when we think about tragic end of a life but also it took something from this sport.

What I'm saying is that I would prefer F1 more interesting then with more money.

Aren't people and the media overreacting a tad when it comes to un-politically correct (read 'honest') comments by various people?
Being offended or angered by what someone says is a personal choice.
Just maybe the public needs to grow a thicker skin.
Personally I feel Bernie is one of the few who can be trusted to give us the unadorned truth, a rare attribute in these days of spin and PCism.

I must say, the first racing game I got when I was a kid was a Formula 1 game. A game that was made after Senna died and had his face on the cover & voice in the game(albeit incomprehensible & garbled, but still!).
It is how I got to know who Senna was, and that he was dead. :(

Bernie has an innate skill of putting valid points the worst way possible. Something like "even in death, Ayrton continued to draw the attention of people worldwide to the sport that he loved" would have been more tactful, but eh, Bernie doesn't roll like that. It's the W problem.

Or did GWB have the Bernie problem? :hmm:

Last edited:
Bernie proves he has too much money to bother with giving a shit. Meh.

What's the problem?

He is correct. Insensitive but correct.

I think people can't see any other words other than Senna+Death+Good

Aren't people and the media overreacting a tad when it comes to un-politically correct (read 'honest') comments by various people?
Being offended or angered by what someone says is a personal choice.
Just maybe the public needs to grow a thicker skin.

Precisely. I've never really had a problem with Bernie (except the new F1 venues and other kak he pulls). Actually, most of the stuff he says is pretty straight forward and true.