Best Android apps

I know I've seen that pop-up window before (choice between youtube player and HTC flash player), but I can't reproduce it. It might have been while I was trying Dolphin...

The HTC flash player seems to work fine, though, I guess I never looked for quality options since I'm on a cell phone over 3G.

High quality youtube over wifi is much nicer than anything the flash player is capable of producing.

I just drained my battery playing Radiant... It's FREAKING AWESOME!!

There's a free lite version in the marked and a paid full version, but since I can't access the paid apps from my phone, I had to "procure" it elsewhere. :p

Haha, I would love another addictive game on here, I'll check it out. I just hope it works well with touch screen controls because this trackball is a pile of shit.

You just move left and right. I actually noticed the touchscreen on the Desire is a bit too sensitive and when I hover my finger too close to the screen it suddenly registers and moves the ship. :(

Woah it's like Gradius met space invaders, I love it! Definitely picking that up in two weeks when I get my Droid or Incredible (still haven't decided between them).

I'm thinking more Raptor or any other vertical scrolling shoot-em-up.

There's an app called contact search+, which integrates with the search bar and searches all fields, not just name, number and email. I'd really like it, but I can't access paid apps. :(

Finally tried aDyno yesterday (now that I have a solid mount for my N1).

Managed 1.3g braking, and a friend of mine did 1.0g in a turn. Not bad for an 8 year old econobox (Nissan Sentra) in cold conditions (it was 10? Celsius).

Great free app. Only negative point is that the G-Meter screens do not work in landscape, and my usual mounting point does not have the necessary clearance for portrait orientation.

aCar v2.0.x is out!

aCar v2.0.x is out!

Thanks for mentioning "aCar" in this thread! I would like to get more feedback in this regard.

Just one further point: It's just a few days I've released a major new version (2.0.x) with completely new user interface design. You are very welcome to give it a try and let me know if you have any comments...

I like the program a lot, although I must say I prefered the old cleaner interface more. ;) That's my only peeve with it, otherwise I take my time and fill out all the details every time I fuel up. Since my car is too old to have an onboard fuel consumption metre (which are usually miscalibrated anyway), it's nice to see how my driving affects my bank account.

Radiant is a bit sluggish on my Hero but it's playable. I'll have to look into aCar, I always manage to mess up the whole fill the tank / trip meter process somehow.

Downloading aCar now, but I'll most likely never remember to use it.

Downloading it as well. Haven't kept track of my fuel consumption for a while, it's too depressing :(

I'm at 8.345l/100km (34 UK mpg, 28 US mpg) with the Audi. :(

EDIT: anyway, more apps!

Drinkspiration: Absolut sponsored coctail app, features suggestions by time of day, location, popularity, etc.

engadget: dedicated rss reader for the engadget website

twitter: Twitter's own twitter app, I like it the most, even though most review websites don't, surprisingly.

Last edited:
twitter: Twitter's own twitter app, I like it the most, even though most review websites don't, surprisingly.

The only other Twitter I tried is Twidroid (both regular, and pro), and I prefer Twidroid over the official client.

I've just upgraded newsrob to the pro version.

Great RSS reader that syncs with Google reader.

A must have (even in its free version)!

I like TextEasy for group texting, but I am going to try the Handcent SMS just to see what it is all about... I am getting tapatalk today too, that looks killer!

Also, I skipped a few posts, but did no one mention Sportstap? It is a fantastic live scoring thing for just about every sport under the sun. It is a bit laggy with MLB scores, but not terrible.

Handcent just annoyed me, I don't really see how it's any better than stock unless you really want to change colors. Tapatalk is nice, but for me it's just as easy to just go to the site and get the full experience.

Android apps seem a LONG way behind iphone ones at the moment, especially with regards to user interface. I have a tide prediction app on my legend which has an iphone port and the iphone has a much better interface.

I'm also dissipointed at the number of paid for/ad supported apps. Even simple games with next to no development time or costs like a bubble burst game I got to waste some time. any decent programmer could knock that up in a few hours so why throw in ads and a limited free version? I swear freeware used to be common.....