Best budget zoom lens for Olympus E-410

SpecOpsBob

Car(s)
Honda Prelude
/thread

Ok, ok, I'm still getting to grips with all the camera terminology and whatnot so please excuse my lack of... knowing stuff :)

I'm looking for a new lens for my Olympus E410 for around $300AUD (preferably less) which I can use for shooting more distant things than my current 14 - 42mm Zuiko lens which came with it, but can still remain light and versatile.

The best I've found so far is this which from the reviews sounds like the pretty much perfect one I'm looking for.
My questions are, since I'm a photographic noob when it comes to all the numbers, roughly what equivalent would the zoom be in terms of zoom usually referred to in digital cameras (eg, 3x, 10x, etc) and if there's anything better out there for what I'm looking for.

The auction's only got 4 hours or so left so the sooner I can get a response it would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
Ok, ok, I'm still getting to grips with all the camera terminology and whatnot so please excuse my lack of... knowing stuff :)

I'm looking for a new lens for my Olympus E410 for around $300AUD (preferably less) which I can use for shooting more distant things than my current 14 - 42mm Zuiko lens which came with it, but can still remain light and versatile.

The best I've found so far is this which from the reviews sounds like the pretty much perfect one I'm looking for.
My questions are, since I'm a photographic noob when it comes to all the numbers, roughly what equivalent would the zoom be in terms of zoom usually referred to in digital cameras (eg, 3x, 10x, etc) and if there's anything better out there for what I'm looking for.

The auction's only got 4 hours or so left so the sooner I can get a response it would be appreciated.

Thanks all.
I got a new lens for my E-410 on Wednesday. I haven't had the chance to test it, bacause I've been sick since then (<_<) but I got it reccomended to me from my brother whose good with Olympus... Anyway, the lens in question is this 14-54mm Zuiko... It does both look and feel a bit massive on the E-410 though...

b7325f43.jpg

SpecOpsBob

Car(s)
Honda Prelude
Do you know if there's much difference in the zoom between the one I linked to and yours?
By the way, we've got the same calculator aswell :p

nomix

True Viking
Car(s)
Tend do walk the 40 meters from my bed to lecture.
No, there is not.

I think we should get a couple of terms right. :)

'Zoom' is a term that's dictated by the factor between the largest and the smallest number in the focal range. In the case of your 14-42 that means you have a 3x zoom factor. The 14-54 has a 3.85x zoom factor, so in essense, there is little difference between the two regarding 'zoom'.

I think you should try understanding the terms a little better. When we talk of the 14-42mm lens, we are talking of a zoom lens, that lets you browse through different focal lengths. The lower the number, the wider field of view the lens will capture. The higher the number, the narrower field of view the lens will capture. It goes without saying that you will get 'closer' to your subject at 42mm than you will at 14mm. :)

What I think you are looking after is what's called a tele zoom. You've got a nice one in the 40-150, it's a sweet little lens.

As for zoom factors, it's got a zoom of 3.75x. That's interesting, it's got a smaller zoom factor than the 14-54! This is where it gets interesting, you see, the 40-150 will give you a more narrow field of view, ie. get you closer to the action, than the 14-54 will. Here we see how the larger number gets you closer, right?

Never mind the zoom factor, let's just leave it at the fact that the 40-150 is a very good, very compact and very cheap way of entering telephoto. If it's too short for what you're after, you'd have to get a significantly more expensive lens to really make any difference, like the 70-300.

There is another option, just to mention it, which is the Sigma 55-200. I would stay away from it, as it's not the best of lenses.

And marcos_eirik, if you think the 14-54 is big on the E-4x0 bodies, you should try a 7-14. That's uncategorically huge. :)

SpecOpsBob

Car(s)
Honda Prelude
Nomix, I love you... in a very manly, no homosexual way of course :p

Thanks for the clear up on the terms, makes much more sense now (I've done some stuff on optics and have a general idea of the differences you get going from different focal lengths and the spacing of the parts in lenses, I just don't have any experience in buying them and what to look for as far as quality and whatnot!)

I just needed something which I could use for taking shots of something a bit further than 5m away since the 14-42mm one wasn't quite enough to get in as close as I'd like to..

I think I'll go with the 40-150mm then, it's a good price and fits the bill for what I'd like perfectly - Big thanks to both of you aswell! :happy:

nomix

True Viking
Car(s)
Tend do walk the 40 meters from my bed to lecture.
No problem. :)

The thing with telephoto photography is that it's something you either love or hate. Me for one, don't like using teles. I find it remote and lacking in feeling, but I still carry one around all the time 'in case', and of course, when I shoot soccer, the ref generally gets very angry when you go onto the pitch to take your photos. :p

The fine thing with the 40-150 is that it's so light and compact, so it really makes it very easy to bring with you. People often underestimate compact gear, I've got friends who famously said they carried "proper cameras". Thing is, 'proper' cameras are often left behind. My E-3 is quite a lot more stress to bring than my trusty old E-400, and my 50-200 is a lot more stress to bring with me than ie. a 40-150.

For 99% of users, the 40-150 is a perfect lens, no doubt.

Good luck with your new lens! :)