Best Droptop

Interesting both the SL55 AMG and the F430 Spyder are in my Top 10 garage ever. As is the Porsche Carrera GT for that matter. I would probably take the F430 to the 'Ring though.

2008 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible with Z51 Performance Package.

1215509840_de42e3d569_b.jpg

If i was buying it myself i would actually have to agree with that. Ive spent some time around the C6s and their actually much nicer then i expected. And their exhaust noise is fantastic.

I think if i was going to have fun on the roads it and price wasn't a option i would go for a V8 Vantage Roadster. I love the noise so much, and i don't really need the speed of something like a CCXR at this point in my life, i would just die. If the F430 sounded more incredible then i would go for that, but it only sounds good, and that simply doesn't cut it once you get past the 80 grand price bracket. Gallardo sounds good, but ideally i'd need to drive both it and the Aston at the limit to really know which i prefer, probably whichever one has better steering, as the cars are similarly good at entertainment (the looks and the noise, the very being of the car) and both appear to be comfortable.

I would love the Caparo T1 for the local tracks (if that counts) but i think any of us with such a car at the Nurburgring would just die. If i actually went there i think i'd want something like a faithful 80s MR2, or a MX5. Or ideally a 70s Alfa GTV, since this is droptops then i'll say the Spider with a TwinSpark swap. I drove such a car and it all by its lonesome made me fall in love with Alfa Romeo.

nurb?rgring, please. :D

Its actually N?rburgring... :rolleyes:

and my weapon of choice?

1) Carrera GT
2) Ford GTX-1 Roadster
3) Maserati MC12

and a more affordable list :p

1) BMW Z4M Roadster
2) Honda S2000

Last edited:
For cheap and for the Ring

2c76_1.JPG

Buy me here

Here is my real answer

here is a completely unbiased opinion;)
solsticev8blacklg.jpg

Mallet Solstice for ring (besides atom)

Saturn-Sky-Red-Line.jpg

Sky Redline for cheap

Merc SLR roadster! :thumbsup:

The problem I run across when I think of a drop top is that most don't work well (not mechically but I mean are hardtop modified) and also the main reason I think most would have the car is the engine noise and wind, and ignore the rest of the car and the looks, I am still in the air as to what I think is good, but will agree that the Austin Healey and Continental were both excellent examples.

I know it won?t technically exist until next year, but the Bugatti Veyron convertible deserves honourable mention ? ask this question again in 12 months and that would definitely be my answer.

Wouldn?t have a DB9 or 911 convertible ? both those cars loose too much rigidity without the roof so I?d constantly feel I wasn?t getting the best car I could. For a once in a lifetime blast I?d have a Zonda roadster, if I wanted to look cool and feel cool I?d love a V8 Vantage roadster, but to keep for a year it?d have to be an F430 Spider.

For a death or glory lap of the nurburgring I think we can all agree you?d need a Daihatsu Copen ? surely the greatest drop-top of all time. :p

They're for posers, not drivers. Convertibles are all about how you look in them and the best looking droptop is the 360 spyder.

For convertibles, the 360 Spider is a sexy beast, and I would also second the F430 as a good roadster. SLR roadster is also a nice piece of kit.

Owning a roadster though, I would say that the best roadsters for everyday use would be one with a folding metal roof. If that's the case (which I believe it is), then the SL65 AMG would be worth looking at. I believe if you ever have to drive with the roof up, a metal one is the way to go.

Ariel Atom for the track, though :)