Best episode for introducing TG to a newbie?

Canuck

Car(s)
2009 GTI
So I discovered Top Gear while off at school and have been meaning to get my dad, a fellow car nut, into it. What do you think would be the best first episode to show him?

I'm trying to choose between a solid episode that follows usual format (car review, news, challenge, etc.), Or one of the epic trips such as the Polar Special?

First TG I ever saw was the Challenges DVD. Build your own limos, amphibious cars, Reliant Robin space shuttle...

I laughed until I cried, then I laughed some more. Been hooked ever since.

When I downloaded the latest Bolivia special, my dad watched it with me. It was the first TopGear episode he ever watched and thought it was hilarious.

As your dad is a fellow car nut, you may want to try a regular episode from Series 4-7, or Series 10 (though not Botswana), as those series are a bit more car heavy.

I've just started re-watching every episode from series 1 through to series 14 - am currently on series 7 and personally - as someone not 'that bothered' by cars but really enjoys the chemistry between the three lads - I'd say anything AFTER series 8.

But if he's a car nut then I'd go for anything from 4-7 as well.

I've just started re-watching every episode from series 1 through to series 14 - am currently on series 7 and personally - as someone not 'that bothered' by cars but really enjoys the chemistry between the three lads - I'd say anything AFTER series 8.

But if he's a car nut then I'd go for anything from 4-7 as well.

I think the specials are a bad idea to show somebody as the first top gear episodes. Becouse they may think that all episodes are epic road trips. better show them a normal episode like 12x07 where there are crashes, fun and a briliant ending.

I would suggest any of the following-

The Winter Olympics Special, possibly the funniest episode they've made.

Series 4 Episode 1, the Aston Martin DB9 race to Monye Carlo and the Lotus Exige vs Apache helicopter.

or

Series 8 Episode 3, the first attempt at making amphibious cars.

I'd say a special. The Bolivia one is a really good one I'd say.

Either that, use a race episode.

I would use the Veryon race episode. Or the one with Carrera GT in it :D.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE_WqdKbTvY[/YOUTUBE]

Oooh, good question! If they were American I'd suggest they'd watch that special first - a relevant subject matter is sure to pull them in and help them understand the 'feel' of the show, even if they do slag it off. XP If not, I'd maybe recommend S08E07, where they try and build the Caterham, S08E02, where they host the radio show, or S08E01, where they build the convertible people carrier. Each of these has them all working together on a single project, which is where you see some real Top Gear magic shining through.

It's weird, season 8 isn't my favourite season by far, yet it's the one I'd most readily recommend? XD

One with the Toybota. That's how I got hooked, it was an absolute riot for me.

I think the specials are a bad idea to show somebody as the first top gear episodes. Becouse they may think that all episodes are epic road trips.

THIS. Especially when you're trying to get a car nut hooked -- a fact quite a few of you have overlooked.

THIS. Especially when you're trying to get a car nut hooked -- a fact quite a few of you have overlooked.

I disagree. The best part of TopGear isn't the car aspect of the show, it's the three hosts and their personalities. And the specials flush them out the best. If you're trying to get a car nut to watch the show, he/she may not be impressed with the car reviews, especially in the last couple of years.

If you have the "All Revved Up" DVD, then I'd forget about using a specific episode and show them that first. Just let them know that it is a "best of" compilation DVD.