Best First Car

Thomas93

Car(s)
one day
Hello, come September I can drive! :cool:

I thought now that I am nearing the end of my exams it is a good time to go car hunting, while i've got the time.

Criteria is sub ?2000 including insurance, I can have it safely locked up in an alarmed garage at night, so that should bring down the cost a little. I'd rather a petrol engine, manual gear box, if it can be repaired by a Haynes manual and arts are easy to obtain than it doesn't need to be a good runner already, i've access to a well equipped garage with plenty of room and I guess it would be a good thing to learn. ;)

I really had my heart set on a VW Corrado, but the insurance is a killer!

At the moment I am looking at something like a Rover 25?

Any ideas? Cheers :)

golf III

plenty around, easy to work on, parts are interchangeable with most other VAG products from that era (what makes them cheap as 2nd hand), so you can already start saving parts and special tools for when you're able to afford that corrado

Didn't Top Gear just do a special about this exact topic? :p Given the insurance concerns they had, and the horror stories about even the Honda-based Rovers, it sounds like you'd be better off staying away from one of those.

This has been beaten to death a million times already. Search is your best friend :)

I wanted to be able to ask more questions as time goes by and maybe eventually update it with a purchase! :D

That sounds good bone, do they age well? Don't want anything that rusts like a Lancia!

LCG- they did but it was more for entertainment, and I really, really don't want a Volvo estate! My Mum's friend has a 25 from 2003, seems to be running fine and are relatively cheap.

e34 ! :D

From what I've seen expect insurance to be above ?1000 regardless on any modern car. Limited mileage policies will help but I don't haven't seen any 'enthusiast' policies before.

I'm surprised a Miata hasn't been suggested yet, but I would suggest a classic car. Classic policies are cheaper, and if you buy something built before 1972 you'll have free tax. Depending on the car, parts might be cheaper too.

Dodge Viper, F430 or an old Jag :p

Mk II Golf Diesel. Not much power, but plenty of low-end torque, reliable, wrenching-friendly, cheap to buy, run and maintain....