• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Best free anti-virus?

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I had AVG AntiVirus but I'm back to Norton again.

AVG never gave me problems...don't know if it actually is good though...

Nearly all of my friends use AntiVir, some use avast!. I've used both of them, and I think they are good. Currently I have avast! on my computer. I think avast!'s full scan is a bit slower than AntiVir's, that's the only difference I've noticed... :)

EDIT: Avast! has on-acces scanner running all the time and it also has automatic updates. As far as I'm concerned AntiVir has to be updated manually.

Ahh well if you want real time protection, I'd suck it up and spend the 50 bucks or whatever it is on Norton. Personaly I just am careful about files and e-mails and such. I've never had a problem with this strategy.

Yes. Norton or F-Secure (Finnish :thumbsup: ) are very good. Not free, but good protection. My mum has F-secure on her computer and my aunt has Norton, both have been very good. :)

or you could always use *cough*bittorrent*cough* and get Norton, it comes with live update as well

Norton's garbage. It couldn't fix alot of files that AVG was able to fix.

I hear Kaspersky (sp?) is the best, though. NOD32 is pretty good, also.

Avg have been solid for a long time. Its not technicaly free. But only if your a church or charity or something.

Never had problems either, and it isn't such a huge resource hog.

So my votes for avg.

-Pope Kip

I think I read somewhere in my computer magazine that AntiVir is quit good.

I use Norton 2005.

Maybe something interesting: there is a dutch program that gets rid of ALL your spyware: it's a program that downloads, configures, updates and runs all the current anti-spyware programs. So with two mouseclicks, it does everything. It also gives some real time protection.

Beware: it's in Dutch...

http://www.hitmanpro.nl/

I've used several on a public network(needs to have good protection). The ones that are good: avast, avg and f-prot. Those are the ones I'm sattisfied of. Depends on what you want. (avast has good network abilities). But if you want, I can give one from McAffee. It's 100% legal and no serial is needed and you can choose for a lifetime subscription. Doesn't take a lot of memory (norton does) and finds everything(in my case). But I have to say, that a virusscanner is a last line of defense. It's better to secure your pc so no virus can enter, instead of searching and removing viruses. I for example didn't have any virus, spy or adware for over 2 years now.
So if you want the McAffee thing, just shout.

Greetz Johan

I like avast because it supports win64, unlike EVERY OTHER Antivirus software. I am careful enough that I rarely get viruses so I don't know how well avast works at detection. But its the only thing out currently that can protect a win64 machine.

AVG is meant to be the best free one, F-Secure the best pay one. SORTED!

How's Win64 hokie? I've downloaded it, but am worried about installing it on my main comp. Waiting to clear up a laptop, but have file transfer issues at the moment.

I have Win64 too, but like you I haven't installed it, It doesn't sound like there are drivers out yet to support alot of stuff I have like video cards and such. Plus I don't think I'm even using any applications that would take advantage of it.. sept maybe photoshop.

Overheat said:
AVG is meant to be the best free one, F-Secure the best pay one. SORTED!

How's Win64 hokie? I've downloaded it, but am worried about installing it on my main comp. Waiting to clear up a laptop, but have file transfer issues at the moment.

Win64 isnt too bad, its not much different than regular windows xp. I have a release build of it and its nice and stable. I really only use it for initial work (until I get a G5) with 64bit software development. Drivers really aren't a problem since I have an nforce motherboard and an ATI video card. Both companies offer 64bit drivers for win64, so I haven't had a problem.

I run Norton and Ad-Aware, update them every 2weeks or so, do a full scan once in a while and no problems at all. Its been more then 1/2 year that i last installed windows, and eversince not a single virus or adware, so im quite satisfied ;) (but they are not free though)