Best free backup software for windows

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
my girlfriend has had a bit of a mare with computers and just technology in general really and so to avoid any undue panic again im gonna show her how to back the bloody thing up incase it does go tits up again!

now i have a mac so im well catered for with time machine

obviously we dont need anything that fancy... just something thats gonna either backup the entire drive as an image or maybe something that will just backup key files and folders. i've done a little research and FBackup looks like a nice simple to use program. thoughts?

having been away from windows for a few years i have no idea whats good or not. any of you guys have any suggestions on free backup software?

also..... her external harddrive..... whatever she did to it when she got it its somehow formatted in FAT16... yes 16 not 32. now isnt that gonna impose limits on individual file size?

Last edited:
This is why you never want to go with Windows home editions, Vista and 7 Business/Pro both have Windows Complete PC Backup and Shadow Copies which in many ways are more comprehensive than Time Machine.

Anyone that buys Home Premium has been cheated. :)

^ haha we're not that advanced.... still rocking out the XP home edition here. and yeah i think home editions are bollocks.

time machine isnt all that, but i just like the way it works without you really having to do anything at all. though it does fill up your external drive quick-style and i was only backing up documents and music (movies folder where all my downloads go wasnt included).

Last edited: