best nordschleife race sim for PC

bigfoot1942

since i really like the nurnburgring i am learning the track by racing it on my PC, so once i buy my own car i wont crash it into one of the may corners it has ;)

I have GTR and ive downloaded the nordscheife track. But im curious if there are better sims or perhaps sims with a more accurate track. i watched the GT4 timedemo and i noticed there were way more trees and stuff.

So who knows another good race-game that has the "nordschleife" in it?
for the PC that is.

I think Grand Prix Legends is pretty good, but I think that's the historic track (although a lot of it is still the same).

GT4's > all :D

Trees and stuff in it aren't prefect, but whoop-de-doo. It's the track that counts.

yeah the GT4 track is accurate down to like 5 inches... it was one of their big points at E3 "most accurate Nurburgring ever"

TF

I wonder how they managed to map it. GPS isn't accurate enough, photos made from air give some directions (well, not down to inches), but doesn't give any altitude information...

The_Finn said:
yeah the GT4 track is accurate down to like 5 inches... it was one of their big points at E3 "most accurate Nurburgring ever"

TF
More importantly, it has the bumps down way better than any other sim I've played.

They acrually drive trough the track, they have a team that go to each track to drive and get the exact feel... they also use photographs... GPS i dunno but probably

MXM said:
I wonder how they managed to map it. GPS isn't accurate enough, photos made from air give some directions (well, not down to inches), but doesn't give any altitude information...
I work in relation with Land Surveyors and believe me GPS is a lot more accurate now than a couple years back, even for elevation.

It is certainly quite a project to map it all to within five inches but it can be done.

ESPNSTI said:
The_Finn said:

TF
More importantly, it has the bumps down way better than any other sim I've played.
Yeah, I remember on Top Gear, when Jeremy went to the Ring, how one guy said he learned the track on his PC or whatever but how that the bumps were totally not there.

GT4's is bumpy as heck. :?

Gps is only exact to 5 meters or something i believe. The us army made sure the civilian stuff is less exact than theirs. So i don't think they only used gps.

Kip_6666 said:
Gps is only exact to 5 meters or something i believe. The us army made sure the civilian stuff is less exact than theirs. So i don't think they only used gps.
No, thats wrong.

Like Roman, I've done a lot of GPS mapping myself. It all depends on your tools. Most of my experience is with a Trimble backpack mounted GPS unit worth around $15,000. It generally gets within 1-3 meters of accuracy. The more you pay, the more accurate you get though. I believe the most expensive surveying GPS units can get accuracy levels within 1-3 centimeters. The amount of satellites in range also effects your accuracy, so when they were mapping the Nurburgring, they probably took quite a few weeks waiting for good accuracy for all the points on the map.

Is it wrong?

Military (and selected civilian) users still enjoy some technical advantages which can give quicker satellite lock and increased accuracy. The increased accuracy comes mostly from being able to use both the L1 and L2 frequencies and thus better compensate for the varying signal delay in the ionosphere (see above). Commercial GPS receivers are also required to have limits on the velocities and altitudes at which they will report fix coordinates; this is to prevent them from being used to create improvised cruise or ballistic missiles.

I was thinking about that, my bad if i got the exact amout wrong. But is it ever exact enough to properly get the layout of a track these days? A few meters is alot..

Re: best nordschleife race sim for PC

bigfoot1942 said:
since i really like the nurnburgring i am learning the track by racing it on my PC, so once i buy my own car i wont crash it into one of the may corners it has ;)

I have GTR and ive downloaded the nordscheife track. But im curious if there are better sims or perhaps sims with a more accurate track. i watched the GT4 timedemo and i noticed there were way more trees and stuff.

So who knows another good race-game that has the "nordschleife" in it?
for the PC that is.

GT4 was mentioned a lot of times, but it really isn't PC game is it? :D

For PC, only Papyrus has really modeled the track for PC, for GPL. All the other versions I know are more or less derived from that one, including the one you can get for GTR. It's also been converted for NASCAR Racing 2003 and a few F1 games.

About GTR version. Even though it has been modified(what I read it was originally intended to be included in GTR release, so SimBin developed it) it still has the 1960's layout from GPL version. I tried it yesterday and driving wise it's very similar, but the surroundings have been redone and I think some crests and such leveled down a bit. I did have fun when I took a Morgan for a spin there(literally), but I still prefer this layout with GPL.

So, no modern Nordschleife for PC, but hopefully this will change.

Kip_6666 said:
Is it wrong?

Military (and selected civilian) users still enjoy some technical advantages which can give quicker satellite lock and increased accuracy. The increased accuracy comes mostly from being able to use both the L1 and L2 frequencies and thus better compensate for the varying signal delay in the ionosphere (see above). Commercial GPS receivers are also required to have limits on the velocities and altitudes at which they will report fix coordinates; this is to prevent them from being used to create improvised cruise or ballistic missiles.

I was thinking about that, my bad if i got the exact amout wrong. But is it ever exact enough to properly get the layout of a track these days? A few meters is alot..

Carrier Positioning Accuracy < 1 cm - 30 cm (2D), 1.6 cm to 45 cm (3D)

This is the highest level of accuracy possible using the GPS and is the technique that land surveyors and engineers generally use. This method is often referred to as "Survey grade" GPS. The method is exactly the same as "Differential Positioning" with a few notable exceptions.

Two receivers are used; one receiver over a known location (the base or reference receiver) and the second (Rover or roving receiver) is placed over the new or unknown location. The receivers track and record data from the same satellites at the same time recording similar information. The data is eventually transferred from the receivers to a computer. Specialized software is used to 'correct' the data.

The main differences are:
GPS receiver type ? a 'survey grade' receiver must be used. These receivers are somewhat larger and usually much more expensive than those used for single point positioning.

one would assume that PD has the budget to put into all the equipment

TF

^ Basically, yes. GPSs that are designed to give you points quickly won't give you anywhere near the accuracy you get with surveying grade GPS units.

All of the mapping I've done has been done quickly with a backpack unit, but error-corrected and layered on top of ortho-photos. Our maps were almost always accurate to under 1 meter.

Viper007Bond said:
GT4's is bumpy as heck. :?

But unfortunately already outdated, they "ironed" the Ring a bit during winter. ;)

cya
Oliver

I saw this and thought bigfoot might be interested(and maybe some others too)... A dude in RaceSimCentral is modeling the current Norschleife for NetKar Pro. If it's not interesting enough in itself, here's a screenshot:
http://www.windestam.com/~si3v/ring.jpg

Very much work in progress, but looks great. Originally posted in this thread at RSCNet.org.

The guy on Top Gear said he learned it on the X-Box. Which has to be Project Gotham Racing 2.
Personal best time with PGR2: 6:29 with a Porsche GT1.

It may not be the most realistic simulation but playing it on Live with 8 people, big fun.