Best Police Cars

More likely chased Mustangs, Camaros and Chargers...

...Probably to no avail there either

More likely chased Mustangs, Camaros and Chargers...

...Probably to no avail there either

I am of the opinion that most people who own sports cars don't really know how to drive them.

we should redo this thread without show cars, eg the lambo and porsche

eg cars actually deployed for everyday usage in large numbers

was the RS200 really used by the UK police or was it just a publicity stunt?(Sierra RS Cosworth being pulled out)

I would say it was a stunt. The British police never have and never will have any decent cars. The fastest high speed pursuit squad they have are supposed to have '3 high powered Subarus. They have one Impreza, a BMW 3-Series, and a Volvo V70 T5.

This is a publicity stunt:
lambopolicecar.jpg

But i know around the scottish borders a few coppers has Sierra RS Cosworths, to keep up with Sierra RS Cosworths.

EDIT: Heres a low Qual picture of a 'Scort Cosworth Police car
cos.gif

This is a publicity stunt:
lambopolicecar.jpg

Didn't they use one on Topgear with the number plate YEVIL?

As for where I live, well I was reading a Wheels magazine the other month, and there was a review on a Victorian lotus elise cop car, I'll see if I can find any pictures.

Scratch that, it was a NSW car, and it is an Exige, even better. :)

lotusexigepolicecar.jpg

lotusexigepolicecar2.jpg

Here is another few that tickle my fancy.

vicbmw.jpg

cookwrx2.jpg

Vic_MarkGTO.jpg

dmvic%20(1).jpg

VE1%20(24).jpg

P4030008.jpg

c300.jpg

Last edited:
It can only serve as a obstacle or to ram something, because it'd not have a chance in a pursuit on a road with bends

Against who and what? Is the average Australian car a V8 powered coupe or sedan? I think it would have a chance.

The fact is that most police cars are not going to be able to run down cars available to civilians. Police trust that the offender will stop when he sees the red-white-and-blue in his rear view mirror. Even an MX-5 could easily loose the cops on a twisty road or in town (traffic permitting). Police use communication and coordination, combined with specialty vehicles and air support to bring down those who run. Many times they just pick the guy up later at home after he thinks he made a clean break.

Police cars are designed for utility - not speed or handling. They need to have enough of those to catch people who are breaking the law, but for the serious criminals set on getting away in the right car the police will have to turn to other means. Just as pilots have shown over and over again, the inferior machine can be victorious if the operator has superior training. In most cases the police have that edge.

I can imagine some coppers might have some "slight" problems fitting into the Exige ;)
But nice collection of cars you have downunder:bow::bow:

berlin-ewa2004-neu-vorne.jpg

These are used in Berlin as patrol cars.

I am of the opinion that most people who own sports cars don't really know how to drive them.

None of the above mentioned cars are sports cars.

But apart from that, you're absolutely right.

Didn't they use one on Topgear with the number plate YEVIL?

If you borrow a car from the British division of Lamborghini, chances are that it will have the numberplate 'YEVIL'. There is only one car at a time with those numberplates on, but Lamborghini chuck it onto any car that will appear in the public's eye. So yes, Top Gear did have that numberplate, but they didn't have that car. Another thing to point out while i'm on that subject, they only had that plate on the test of the original Lamborghini Murcielago. In Series 9's test of the LP640, they used an Italian car, so didn't. Don't know why they borrowed an Italian car, but I suppose we would have to ask Lamborghini themselves for the answer.

I would have agreed 15 years earlier, but know pretty much everyone can drive fast,and not only on the straight, thanks to the technology put in cars.

Its not that the drivers from today are better than the ones before , I think it has more to do with the cars, take a Ferrari 348 or a 964 and a F430 or a 997 with the same guy in it and tell him to drive as fast as he can, with the two last cars he should stay alive.

I remember on fifth gear Tom driving the Audi Q7 against a local sheriff, he totally blasted him although he didn't knew the road and is pretty an average driver.He was able to do so more thanks to the car than to his skills.