CGT FTW! No other car sounds like it. There was a vid on Youtube of one taking off...and the engine just spools up seamlessly, and it sounded like...like what God must sound like when he's driving a GT.
Hilmerssons Opel Manta
Maybe not my absolute favorite noise, but one of my favorite custom cars with quite an awesome sound. It's a twincharged Volvo B230 engine, and when the turbo kicks in, the supercharger blow straight out in the air. 578hp at a total build cost of 170000 kr ($25000 or ?13000). http://www.hilmersson-racing.com/
1) Ferrari F355, can't believe no one has mentioned it yet! It just sounds perfect. Not as metallic and noisy as the 360 and much more high pitched (sp?) than the F430 that sounds kinda lazy in comparison.
2) BMW M3 CSL - Inline 6 heaven
3) Porsche Carrera GT - V10 heaven
4) Pagani Zonda F - V12 heaven
5) TVR Cerbera Speed twelve - Have only heard it from a short clip in one of JC's vids. but just from that you can hear the sound alone can kill kittens and little baby seals from miles away. Oh, and I guess it isen't really a production car...
Oh, man, I just don't know...there are too many that sound too good. I have to say, though, that I found it absolutely amazing that you could actually hear the Quattro from a helicopter! Anyone who's been in a helicopter before would know what I mean.
Mostly, engine sounds are so varying and different, I'm not sure that too many of them are better than others. I love the sound of a big Detroit V8 that makes me want to drag race, but Ferrari V8s have such a great race-bred sound, too. The McLaren SLR sounds like a supercharged jack-hammer! TVR straight-sixes sound really racey.
For me, the best noise from car I've driven is a Toyota Supra (straight six).
I have to say though, the best one ever? Well, put it this way: I (quite often) play the Gallardo Spyder clip on Top Gear just to hear that noise! It gives me goosebumps every time!
I will say the best is Aston Martin.
Here's the video i took, but not too long.
Diablo VT is pretty good.
M5 sounds pretty good too.
Ferrari 360, very nice sound.
I like the Enzo sound, not wild but strong.
Exelero is pretty different.
I like this Gallardo SE sound, very nice.
Holy shit....that Mazda 787 might not be the best sound, but it's the most impressive....sounds like a motorcycle, not a car.
I bet it would be fun making the other drivers crap their pants at the stoplight if you could drive one of those on the street.