Best TG tested car for sci fi...

STrRedWolf

Car(s)
Looking for one.
Okay, imagine if you will, this.

Your friend has gotten a Koenisegg CCX... and modified it. He's lightened the engine yet retained it's power; infact, he's increased it to 1280 bhp. He's also made it doubly fuel efficient by not only adding an electric motor (making it a hybrid) but also making the engine operate in sections (V4/V6/V8). He's then covered the painted surfaces with a thin layer of goo that actually acts like a solar panel, yet gets more power -- so the electric motor most of the time isn't powered by the petrol engine. The interior isn't changed save for that the center controls are via a touch screen. He's also recreated the Prodrive P2 steering and traction controls, and improved the anti-lag by using an electric fan instead of spraying petrol into the exhaust. The changes in weight are none. The exterior styling hasn't changed ether (except what looks like to be an orange paintjob, but that's the goo under the clear coat).

And your envious.

You have access to the same technology he does, but you have a bit more experience. You also have access to better cooling technology, which readily convert heat into electricity. You're much richer than he is. And you think the Veyron's just too damn heavy, so that's out.

Which car would you choose as the base for your ultimate hypercar?

I'm half tempted to choose Aston Martin's DB9 merged with the tech behind the DBR9 (which got 1:08 around the track).

Wow. That is an elaborate scenario. I'd just spend about 50 cents on some sugar to put in his gas tank.

Wow. That is an elaborate scenario. I'd just spend about 50 cents on some sugar to put in his gas tank.

...which would do about nothing, because Mythbusters pwns you. :p

This wouldn't be a "Lets see who screws up which car" senerio. There's more honor in that.

Instead, this is a friendly rivalry. One in which money isn't any object... but the Veyron's right out anyway.

I would find the shell of an E-type or other classic and build a custom state of the art chassis upon which to mount the body.

Also, I would find a way to make the goo a better color.

No time machines at this time.

I would find the shell of an E-type or other classic and build a custom state of the art chassis upon which to mount the body.

Also, I would find a way to make the goo a better color.

The goo's any color you can wish. He just perfer's a tiger orange. You'll have a white-on-red GT40 scheme.

But as I said, what car should we base it off of, including the engine and suspension. The aim is to get a damn good car and make it extremely better in science fiction.

Well, it'd have to be a 1989 Toyota Camry, with all exterior body panels lightnened using pubic hair, the tires replaced with peanut butter sandwiches for extra grip, and the engine tweaked to develop 6 million hp, but entirely made out of mangos.

Jealous?

I'm gonna have some fun with this one!

Your friend has gotten a Koenisegg CCX... and modified it. He's lightened the engine yet retained it's power;

how? there would literally be no way to do that without replacing the engine. The block - which is the heaviest part of the engine would have to be replaced, as well as the whole cylinder head and the crankshaft and the pistons... So a new engine would have to be found.

infact, he's increased it to 1280 bhp. He's also made it doubly fuel efficient by not only adding an electric motor (making it a hybrid)

that'll add a hell of a lot of weight but I'll bring that up later.

but also making the engine operate in sections (V4/V6/V.

Impossible because of the way the engine works - it works for V8s becase take away half the cylinders and the remaining cylinders work on the same cycle and balance each other out, so you don't get the engine ripping itself apart. You can't turn them into V6s cos the firing intervals would be wrong, the distributor would be like jade goody in a pie shop, not know which one to go for. Of course there is still a lot of wasted energy because the other pistons have mass still and they like to create vacuums and so on and so forth. So not really as efficient as people make them out to be.

He's then covered the painted surfaces with a thin layer of goo that actually acts like a solar panel, yet gets more power -- so the electric motor most of the time isn't powered by the petrol engine.

I really can't respond to that last bit... it's hurting my head looking at the logic.

The interior isn't changed save for that the center controls are via a touch screen.

BSOD FOR THE WORLD!

He's also recreated the Prodrive P2 steering and traction controls,

meh that's a take or leave option, granted the prodrive is based on a 4wd vehicle and wouldn't work because it reduces understeer by shifting torque between the front and rear axles....

and improved the anti-lag by using an electric fan instead of spraying petrol into the exhaust.

....however this is the statement that made me want to hit my head against the wall. An electric fan..... The idea of anti lag - to my understanding is that petrol enters the cylinder as per usual but because there's no spark it just gets mixed with air, where it gets hot, gets spun through the turbo and somewhere between the turbo and the exhaust the fuel air ignites and creates a vacuum which drives the turbo and keeps up the boost pressure... By having a fan you could never get it up to speed in time for the shifts, couldn't create sufficient power, would always break because of the environment it's in and would create hideous drag in the exhaust manifold - one of two manifolds in a car where you pretty much want a pipe to the outside world. not to mention the fan would be hideously inefficient.

The changes in weight are none.

correction - the changes in weight for the "improvements" you've suggested would entail an aerodynamically shaped brick covered in slime with a traction system from a 4wd car on a rwd car with a fan sticking out the back.

for the record - my car would be to hoy a supercharged V8 in the back of my corsa, change the front and rear suspension, have some decent downforce, remove the redundant 1.2 engine, create some space up front for my legs, increase the wheelbase, lower the driving postion and remove 20mm of the height of the car.

Oh and some new alloys.

Last edited:
You are correct in assuming the engine would have to be replaced in the modified CCX.

However, while currently electric engines are heavy, this is science fiction and we can assume a more advanced society could beat the pants of the Germans. So negating the weight gain is possible.

You're right on the timing issue. It wouldn't do V6 -- more likely V4 and V8. And you do have a point with having to slug the weight of half the pistons in a V8. You could stop the pistons but then it'll be a two-engine car... and with the electrics that's three!

The goo paint probably would give anyone a headache, and you're welcome to gloss over it. It would be a good way of removing the need for having the engine act as more of an electric generator than it is now.

Prodrive P2 Antilag: From the way I hear James May write about it on the Top Gear BBC2 website, the turbo tries to get more air into the engine based on how much is going out. When you stomp your foot down, the turbo doesn't kick in because there isn't enough hot air spinning the turbo's fans, therefore chocking the intake until the car forces more air in just by moving. Then the pump is primed and you're off. The Prodrive Antilag spits gas into the exaust before the turbo's exaust fan, making it run faster and thus the intake runs faster. What I would do is put in an intake fan that activates when you accelerate, shoving more air into the system almost immedately (speed of electrions, grumble) -- and be run on the electrics.

The Corsa's not expressly fast around the test track to begin with, isn't it?

Don't you belong in a Gene Roddenberry fan site or something? Go bounce a graviton particle beam off the main deflector dish or something.

if you could convert heat into energy that easily you would solve a lot of the world's problems to do with heat being a useless by product that slows down the thing.
eg if you could do this then a computer could run off of it's own heat and maybe not even require an external source of electricity.

Yeah, we are talking perpetual motion here. Keep dreaming.

Guess he never made it to the second law of thermodynamics

Why do I feel this guy isn't actually 30?

If I did it I would just get an old Mini and stick a Merlin engine in it.

o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O

We're getting off track here. Before we crash into the tire barrier, I will say one thing.

Researchers at UC Berkley have made a test thermoelectric generator at the molecular level. Article at UC Berkley's site, posted up on Slashdot a few days ago. In essence, they were able to get a small (microvolts) amount of electricity from a 1 deg C of heat using a organic molecule (my guess is an alcohol, from what I read) bookened by a metal (gold, in this instance). The maximum heat it could convert into electricity was 30 deg C. It may be worth digging more into it... I have only gotten that far into the article.

Now that we're done making **** up (yes, I've seen that video), the question is:

What car *now* that has been tested on the TG track would you think be the basis for a future overhyper (aka OMGWTFBBQ, makes Jezza want to smoke again so he can quit again in this car, beat the Veyron with half the weight) sports/muscle car?

So like...get the thumb out of the ass of the Veyron engine, glue three of them together into a 6000 bhp W48 and stick it in an 9wd Aygo with the handling of a colibri, the interior of the Burj Al Arab and retained kerb weight?