Best Top Gear Special?

Best Top Gear Special?

• Total voters
I voted for Africa special for my #1, because when I was watching I genuinely liked what they were doing. I was willing that Lancia on when watching it the first time... even though the result had obviously longsince been recorded, I still wanted to see it at the finish.

I liked the US special for my #2 as well, simply because I can relate to what they were doing. And I'm not from the US ;)
#3 is Vietnam. Simply delightful.
South America would have won, if not for the faked Landcruiser thing. It took me right out of it when I saw that.

The polar special didn't really do it for me. Probably because I used to live in that ...stuff for half the year. When it was a lot colder than it was when they were up there...

this was nearly impossible to vote for..
I love the Vietnam, Botswana and Bolivia specials equally.

The reason I voted Botswana is because of Hammond's car. <3

Vietnam, Boliva, Polar, Africa. Equal more or less but scaled best to worst in this order.

U.S. Special. (9th series)

Middle East.

India.

Other U.S.

Can't say why, but the Africa special just draws me in every time I see it. Maybe it's the guy with the ultimate comb-over, or Clarkson bringing the term "Honey Badger" to the internets, but in the end it just feels like the most honest expression of the three hosts and their love of cars. Polar is a close second, but as someone said, as they were seperated for most of the episode, it just has a slightly different feel to it.

To answer The Spie, I would guess the reason early voters liked Vietnam was because they were bike enthusiasts. It really was a thrill to see the guys on bikes, and I will still watch what is an otherwise hit-and-miss episode, because it allows me to dream - one day, I'll do that!

Polar special, the challenge of being able to drive to the North pole and the way they encountered and overcame the difficulties and challenges along the way. It looked pretty in HD and the overall quality of the editing/music (there's a word to describe that I'm sure but it escape me now...cinematography?) was a real pinnacle for them.

Vietnam, Bolivia and Botswana were right up there as well, with the US special a little way behind, then the Middle East special behind that.

Last edited:
The scenery in the Vietnam special is so amazing and the journey felt pretty epic..good story as well.

For me, it is Polar then South America. I think it is due to them being the most challenging on both man and machine.

Easily the Vietnam special, I consider that episode the best they've ever done.

It just grabs me in a way that none of the other has. It never fails to make me want to do it myself - I think that's where it succeeds the most for me.

That, and Vietnam as a location is just hugely interesting. It's beautiful, it's totally unlike anything around these parts of the world, and the culture down there is also just completely different.

Bolivia, Africa and Polar ties for second for me. It's hard to describe accurately what puts the Vietnam one just a notch above the rest. I don't think I can get any closer than I've done so far.

I had to fight with myself between choosing Vietnam or Bolivia. I picked Bolivia. It truly feels like the TG3, trying to make it through a tough terrain (with a bit of danger mixed in), and a truly epic adventure. Not to mention the sheer quality of the film on all technical levels.

Although rereading what I just typed, I almost wish I had picked Vietnam. Especially since Vietnam has the best music.

I don't know. They're both, I think, masterpieces of television. It really depends on my mood, it swings either way!

Polar was memorable for the alcohol and driving on thin ice.
Vietnam was memorable for Clarkson riding a motorbike and May offering Hammond snake bile to drink.
Bolivia was memorable for having the "world's worst capital city", according to Clarkson, and for the elevation challenge.
Botswana was memorable for the love affair between Hammond and his car, but also the Hippos!

As much as liked the Vietnam and Africa specials, I still think the Polar special wins out for me. It far more to do with the place itself than the quality of the special, it just holds the greatest draw of the unknown and personal appeal for me. Polar it is! :)

I can't believe I'm the only person who voted for Polar thus far. First TG in high-definition (with the spectacular scenery to justify it), a Special that really can't be replicated by an average fan (unlike all of the others), and it pissed off the ninnies with the G&T scene.

For the people who have put Vietnam in the lead, please tell me why you like it. I really do want to know. Personally, I think it's a little bit dull.

All sorts of reasons, one being the exact opposite of what you said about the Polar one not something that an average fan could do - it gives me ideas about something I could do. Add to that: it's clearly a different culture (which I like), the scenery is at times breathtaking, and it's the three of them together and that's what makes Top Gear what it is, IMO, not what machinery they're in (or in this case "on"). The machinery could be the same in another car programme and it still wouldn't have that TG feel no matter how much cocking about the presenters were to do. TG is a buddy movie on the small screen. It could be about washing machines, and would still be entertaining... especially on the spin cycle, for the not-a-dudes, apparently.

I wanted actual, technical, fact-based reasons. Appeals to personal opinion or emotion don't work with me.
Then you're out of luck. The OP clearly states "Vote for your favourite Top Gear special." and that's always going to be an opinion based on an emotional response. That's why there's a poll. If we go by the thread title ("best") then that's different, and there's be no need for a poll, but we would need to know on what criteria we should judge them. Put another way: what is your favourite flavour of ice cream? Now, which is the best flavour? It depends entirely on how you define "best". Maybe it's the most healthy. Maybe it's the most profitable for the manufacturer. But however you define it, there will be one answer.

i think that for me, it's easier to choose the least favorite special, the India special. they really dropped the ball on that one. but if i had to say, i would go with the Bolivia Special. i've seen that episode more times than any other special in the series. i'd say it's Top Gear at its purest.

I went with Vietnam. Why? Because it's the most fun. I don't think I've ever laughed harder with a Top Gear moment than when Clarkson fell... That stuff isn't scripted. I'm not a biker, haven't even ever owned a moped. The fact I find it so entertaining while having zero cars in it is what clinched it.
Africa is a close second, the rest tied for close third.