Best "under the radar" vehicle?

fiveiron

Car(s)
Ford Explorer
I'm looking for a rather plain and normal new car that I can add a couple modifications and maybe take it to some simple track days. I was thinking B-class, like a Mazda 2 or Ford Fiesta. But something good for a commuter with an extra boost. What do you think?

-Thanks

Golf GTI?

I'd love a GTI, but it's a bit pricey. Perhaps used, but you never find them with reasonable mileage, always over 100k.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention it must fit two small children. So no MX5 or Boxster.

Focus st?

Last edited:
Previous gen Legacy GT Spec B? Looks like any other family wagon, but should go quite well with some mods if the stock power isn't enough.

Import a Peugeot from Europe. People will actively ignore you.

Legacy GT wagon...

Available with a manual gearbox, plenty of space for 2 kids, decent power (with a lot of room for improvement), and most cops won't even notice you when you fly by them...

I'd go with a Fiesta ST or a Fiat 500 Abarth.

Serious suggestion: Miata. I feel like I'm friggin' invisible in it judging by the number of morons that try to merge into me, as well as the number of cops that I've sped by without them even budging.

I'd love a GTI, but it's a bit pricey. Perhaps used, but you never find them with reasonable mileage, always over 100k.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention it must fit two small children. So no MX5 or Boxster.

OP needs to provide a budget, or we shouldn't bother.

And to be fair, he already said he needs back seats, so we shouldn't Miata him.

Mazda2 isn't a bad choice at all. Not much power at all, but the chassis is fantastic. Rear brakes are drums, but I think they'd be ok. The car only weighs 2200lbs. I'd like to track mine at some point. Great little car for the money in my opinion.

SVT Focus, Fiesta ST, Legacy GT. All well within price range and great cars.
10-12 Fusion Sport? Probably the worst handling, smallest aftermarket as well.

If you take your time you should be able to find an 09 WRX for around that as well.