Best version of VLC?

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Sienna, crippled people like vans....
I recently reinstalled Windows and the latest version of VLC seems lame compared to the older version I had before (seems slower, more bloated, etc). Only problem is I don't remember what version I had.

They have the older versions here:
http://www.oldapps.com/VLC_Player.php

So if someone could tell me which one is the best, that would be fantastic :)

Unless there's some other amazing video player I should have instead?

Last edited:
KMPlayer and/or MPC. I can't stand VLC. It is the only software ever that managed to crash my Win2k pc repeatedly.

Last edited:
MPC FTW!

Yeah, I've tried MPC in the past, but I like VLC better. Older version never crashed on me.......I just cant remember the version number.........

Mplayer? You can also try Windows Media Player Classic.

Yes. Get MPC. Be sure to get the Homecinema version though, because the the original version has not been updated since 2006.

Yes. Get MPC. Be sure to get the Homecinema version though, because the the original version has not been updated since 2006.

I probably had the original (I think it used to come with VLC if I recall correctly). I'll give the newer version a try.

Another vote for MPC from me : )

I've tried them all, The KMPlayer is hands down the best as I've said a bunch of times.

It looks nicer than VLC, it runs better than VLC, and it plays stuff VLC doesn't. It's free, just take my word and give it a try. Guaranteed you won't look back to VLC or MPC.

I've tried them all, The KMPlayer is hands down the best as I've said a bunch of times.

It looks nicer than VLC, it runs better than VLC, and it plays stuff VLC doesn't. It's free, just take my word and give it a try. Guaranteed you won't look back to VLC or MPC.

It seems pretty cool. Just tried it for a couple minutes. Only thing I don't like so far is I'm used to double clicking the screen to go fullscreen, and I have to use a shortcut now.

EDIT: ok, I see I can change that in the settings :)

Last edited:
I have 0.8.6.0. I think it's one of the last versions before they injected cheese into the interface.

I like MPC Home Cinema as well, but the only problem is that it doesn't have a built-in EQ. You can install an EQ plugin for it, but it's pain in the arse to use.

I too just updated VLC and was surprised to notice that it is worse than my older version, it freezes for a second now and then and takes longer to load. The older one had full screen on-screen controls too btw (0.8.6 sounds right).

Don't know if I can be bothered going back again.

I'm guessing he is referring to the Mac version of VLC. It has had on screen controls for quite a few versions now.

I first switched to KMPlayer because my Atom-based laptop couldn't play 720p videos on VLC. But I liked the interface so much I use it on my other machine too now, it's fantastic and leaves me puzzled as to why it's not more popular already.

I'm guessing he is referring to the Mac version of VLC. It has had on screen controls for quite a few versions now.

I first switched to KMPlayer because my Atom-based laptop couldn't play 720p videos on VLC. But I liked the interface so much I use it on my other machine too now, it's fantastic and leaves me puzzled as to why it's not more popular already.

Yes, I'm on a Mac.

I've just started using Airfoil so I can stream the audio to my bookshelf speakers but there is about a 1.6 second delay. The airfoil video player delays video to keep it in sync but doesn't seem to play aac (I think that's what it was) audio but it will hijack VLCplayer which means VLC's on-the-fly, press-of-a-button audio delay comes in handy. The only thing I don't like about VLC is the search works in jumps of 10 seconds.

I can guarantee that!!
I used to use MPC as well but now im a KMP man. Thanks to shawn ;)
And I love the way that I was able to make it work like MPC as well.

For all of you give the KMP a chance and you will never look back :p