Best way to back up itunes?

Solberg

Car(s)
Porsche 997 Carrera S & 2012 Ford Raptor!!
I want to update all my itunes music videos, apps, playlists, songs the lot.

I want to have it so that I can restore it at a 100% accuracy after I format my computer.

What is the best way of doing this?

I want to update all my itunes music videos, apps, playlists, songs the lot.

I want to have it so that I can restore it at a 100% accuracy after I format my computer.

What is the best way of doing this?

Got a spare HDD?

Got 4 external HDDs each one is 1 TB so yes.

Got 4 external HDDs each one is 1 TB so yes.

I don't know about 'official' backup procedures, but when I've done it I've just burnt it all off onto dvd's due to a lack of HDD's.

So, I'd personally copy it all to a HDD, but who knows, probably not very efficient compared to some other method....just an idea...

I don't think that will back up my playlists and apps.

The last time I used itunes was about...4 years ago? I think just copying the whole itunes directory worked then (at the time it contained the music files, and an xml file describing the playlists and such).

Only thing is, I think it used absolute filenames instead of relative so you'd want to put it back eventually in the same directory tree.

What about apps and videos?

As long as you backup the 'iTunes Library.itl' file, and keep the music in the same relative folders/filenames etc, then you should (please don't blame me if it all goes wrong) be fine. That is your database, so it remembers where everything is.

I understand this but where are the app folders?

My Music > iTunes

Should all be in there, along with your music unless you have chosen to place it elsewhere.

I move around my iTunes crap a lot. I just use rsync, though there shouldn't be an issue with copying it through explorer/finder. Everything it needs is stored under the iTunes directory under My Documents (or My Music) or Music (Mac).

My Music > iTunes

Should all be in there, along with your music unless you have chosen to place it elsewhere.

Yep, apps are in there too. Just copy that folder.