• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

best way to play back in dvd player...

98gst

hey guys, whats the best way to burn episodes to be able to play back in a dvd player? what format and what type of disc to put them on? thanks

Unless your dvd player can play Xvid files you'll have to convert the avi's to DVD compliant Mpegs, author a DVD with those files and burn the result to a blank DVD.

If you want the easiest process possible, use Nero - you simply select the avi's, create a menu, and let it do it's thing.

ok so its better to burn them as a dvd than svcd? how many episodes can you generally fit on a dvd?

Yes, DVD is higher resolution than SVCD. I can only fit one episode per DVD - you could fit two on if you lowered the quality settings (the 'bitrate'), but since discs cost $0.40 I figure what's the point

great. thanks for the help. are you using nero? how long does it take to encode an episode? looks like its taking me 45 mins to an hr to encode. that sound about right?

Scroll down to the 'Video File Comparison' here for a comparison of SVCD vs DVD

I don't use Nero as I feel I get a better result (though it's probably pretty negligible) from other programs - but the process is more complicated.

Yeah, that encoding time sounds right (Nero's actually pretty speedy)

Well, you really should be able to get 2 hours of TV (so 2 eps) on a DVD without any visual quality loss, even 3 if you use the 350 MB rips...

Movies you downconvert from a DVD9 to a DVD5 are 2 hours long and you only notive the difference in dark scenes or on DVD players connected via HDMI to good Plasmas/LCDS...

^ I should try that - I've never been game to try a lower bitrate than I currently use (8000max, 6500avg - I've used those settings for a year or so based on other recommendations).

fbc said:
^ I should try that - I've never been game to try a lower bitrate than I currently use (8000max, 6500avg - I've used those settings for a year or so based on other recommendations).

After all VUK encodes below 800 average... I mean Xvid is better than mpeg2, but not 8.5 times... Give it a try on a rw...

Buba

TechZ said:
I just bought a Xvid/Divx DVD Player, no converting needed...

Same here, can fit a whole season on a dvd, quality's good too. Otherwise, just go ahead with what everybody else recommends. Nero Vision is quick and easy.