Best Way to Visit Empire State Building

93Flareside

Sosig
DONOR
Car(s)
See Signature
Hey guys,

I'm not familiar with NYC at all. I am traveling for work to a town about 60 miles outside of NYC. I will be there from tuesday evening to thursday morning. I will have some free time Wednesday afternoon/evening. I read that the 2015 Mustang will be there that day.

My question is, what is the best way to get there? I know city traffic is hairy but, Chicago isn't that bad. It's the parking prices that aren't always the greatest. I will be staying in the Middletown/Goshen, NY area. Is there a train that can take me into NYC near the empire state building in a reasonable amount of time and relativity competitive pricing compared to just driving in and finding parking?

There's a NJ Transit station in Middletown. The best tool for planning the trip is Google Maps, whose info you can then use to find a price on the website(s) of the transport system(s) that you'll be using. If, for example, you use NJ Transit and the MTA, you'll need separate tickets.

There's a NJ Transit station in Middletown. The best tool for planning the trip is Google Maps, whose info you can then use to find a price on the website(s) of the transport system(s) that you'll be using. If, for example, you use NJ Transit and the MTA, you'll need separate tickets.

Middletown is upstate NY not NJ.

Flareside, parking anywhere in midtown will anally violate you on the pricing and the traffic is indeed a standstill around there 90% of the time (used to work in the area). Your best bet is Metro North down to Grand Central and then take one of the MTA trains to the ESB (you can google what line you need don't remember off the top of my head). Alternatively you can walk to the ESB from Grand Central, would be around 20-30 minutes I recon.

You can also drive into the Bronx and catch MTA train from there (again Google what line you would need) if you do that avoid I-95 if you are going anywhere near rush hour, but again check with Google on what best routes are, I don't know the roads up there very well.

Best Way to Visit Empire State Building

I was checking parking prices for the Middletown station. It was around $2.75 for 16 hours. That seems super cheap.... Is that normal?

My plan was to take a train out of Port Jevis, stop at secaucus and pick up the Northeast Corridor, take that into New York pen station. After that, I'm 1 mile from the Empire State Building.

Bad idea?

Last edited:
But but! *points frantically* the mustang on the roof! I'll try and go to manhattan if there's time.

I was checking parking prices for the Middletown station. It was around $2.75 for 16 hours. That seems super cheap.... Is that normal?

My plan was to take a train out of Port Jevis, stop at secaucus and pick up the Northeast Corridor, take that into New York pen station. After that, I'm 1 mile from the Empire State Building.

Bad idea?

Yeah commuter parking is fairly cheap problem is that it gets filled up quite a bit. You could do that as well, seems more complicated to me lol :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but the trains are still operated by NJ Transit. I didn't just make stuff up. :rolleyes:
You sure you not confusing the Metro North with the PATH train?

Currently sitting at the Metro North Beacon station. One train, easier to remember. Ya buddy!

Currently sitting at the Metro North Beacon station. One train, easier to remember. Ya buddy!

Don't pay for the upgrade to the highest floor.

You don't notice that you're much higher up, and the highest floor is INSIDE. Everything you see is through windows. Stick with the cheaper 80-somethingth floor and be outside.

Also, be prepared to be shocked by how small the Statue of Liberty really is, in comparison.

I never actually saw the Statue of Liberty. After 2.5 hours of standing in line, I for sure thought there was just a going to be a sign around and corner exiting back to the street. It's very disorganized.

I bought my 88th floor while on the train into the city.

The train ride was the best part. Relaxing, and comfortable. I fell asleep both ways!

No photos of the Mustang? Could you see where they cut it up? Details, man!