Best wheel???

Buba

Wants Rick Astley's Babies
Car(s)
BMW M235i
I really think, I should get a wheel, not only for this game... Any advice?

Buba

I assume you mean what's the best wheel within a reasonable price range right?
Because I've seen $1000 wheel and pedal sets with fluid dampening and all sorts of crazy things.

Personally I have the Logitech Momo Racing Wheel (cost me about $50, $60 or so) :
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2217,CONTENTID=6030
It's precise, has force feedback, it's strong, and his has software that lets you adjust everything you need to.
I think that adjustability is very important.
With the software you can set the sensitivity and range of all axis per game.
For LFS for example, I set the sensitivity of the wheel and brake and gas pedals way down.
You can also choose if you want to have the brake and gas act as one axis or as two (also per game).
And you can map the buttons to keyboard actions (which you don't often need to do), but I mapped the 7,8,9, 0 keys in LFS for example to wheel buttons.

I had 4 wheels, and broke them all. The last one, a Modena 360, don't remember the brandname..I think Trustmaster, and the shiftknow is all fucked up and the steering is fucked up too, when I steer a little to the right, the car goes 100% right and when I turn it a little more it goes back...so that's why I'm not buying a wheel anymore...waste of money.

Well by that reasoning, computers and cars are a waste of money too:
You lose money on them, and eventually they're worth nothing.

Yah I've owned Trustmaster's before, and they break awfully fast.

My other wheel, the Logitech Formula Force (the original one), broke too (after about 3 or 4 years or so).
I called Logitech, and they sent me a new one after it was several years out of warranty, plus they let me keep the broken one.

BTW, that Trustmaster sounds like it has a potentiometer that has gone bad.
With any luck you could possibly fix that for about $5.

It's a shame that the MOMO costs about 105 ? over here. I think that's too much money for a steering wheel. :thumbsdown:

I had 3 wheels, 2 thrustmasters that broke, and now this Momo (same as ESPN) that seems tougher than the others but I'm sure it's still a matter of time.

But it was awfully cheap, and these days there aren't any new wheels so.. it was still the best cheap one.

Really? Should I call them? It's a few years old..or could I buy the "potentiometer" (whatever that means) myself? :)

swek said:
I think that's too much money for a steering wheel. :thumbsdown:
I suppose so, why is that so expensive (taxes?).
However if you buy a wheel for say ?21, then don't think that that's 5x cheaper, because they probably break much easier (but probably not 5x as much).
In my experience, Logitech has served me well, but I haven't tried any of their lower cost ones.

^ Sure, I suppose it's true that you get what you pay for. And I would love to have a decent wheel but ~140 dollars is way over my limit. I'll just have to drive with my crappy 1997 Thrustmaster modell as long as I don't have enough money. :(
EDIT: About the price. I think it is a combination of two things 16% Taxes on all products plus relatively high wages.
And I have this insane theory about us paying more therewith you guys can pay less :p

Hmm, I saw the Momo for 98 Euros, which sum up to the 105 Euros swek mentioned if you add the shipment... Crap...

But I guess Logitech would be a good choice. My Mx700 mouse started to make trouble, I wrote them, they told me to send in the battery cap and the cut-off usb stick to Switzerland and !!! 3 days !!! later I had a brandnew mouse... That's what I call service.

I think I'll sleep about it... Maybe tomorrow or sometimes this week I'm in a good mood and just order it :D

Buba

//edit: the fomula GP would be only 35 Euros... I could live without Forcefeedback... Hmmm...

Another really good thing would be a PS2 wheel, I could use via adapter... I guess I'm getting a PS2 when GT4 is availible...

////////edit: Or the Logitech Formula Vibration Feedback Wheel, same price, FF, and more buttons...
http://www.logitech.de/index.cfm/products/details/DE/DE,CRID=2217,CONTENTID=9489

I have a MOMO as well. :thumbup:

I just ordered the Logitech Formula Vibration Feedback Wheel.
Its 40 Euros incl. shipment. If I don't like it it'll sell at Ebay for at least 30.. But anyway, I guess it'll improve my driving. The gamepad I used so far wasn't really up to the Job...

Buba

Do you think it is any good ? I mean it is attached to the desk via Saugn?pfe(<-- sorry I dont know the english expression).
I think it will be very wobbly.

Yeah, I know... my table is pretty neat, they should suck really well onto it. I hope :)

Well, I guess, I'll tell you in 3 or 4 days. If it doesn't work, I'll get the strongest tape availible and plant it to the table :lol: :lol: :lol:

The store where I orderd has received numerous orders from me... Is it is crap at first sight, I guess they will happily send me a MOMO if I give them the extra money... I don't care anymore, because I just got acustomed to the fact, that I'll own a wheel... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Buba

BTW: whats the word for saugn?pfe? The ultimate description in my mind for it would be fly feet...

For the english skilled: Its like rubber in the shape of a cup, but upside down. It holds stuff by generating lower pressure when you squeeze it on the table...

Hmm, now it definetly will be better...

I just cancelled it...

Insted I'm about to order a Driving Force Pro for PS2... I learned you can also use it for the PC... It has 900? steering, but you can also set it to 540?, 720? and normal steer... Just read a test where it was taking the momos place as best non pro wheel... Its also a hundered Euros, but I guess it will be worth it...

Buba

IMHO, that amount of steering range will only be annoying if you set the game up to use all of it.
In LFS for example, for 90% of the time I probably don't use the full range (except perhaps for the LX6, to "catch" the damn thing :p).
On the plus side, it'll probably give you great precision.

BTW, for those that can't afford a wheel (or don't want to buy one), a good alternative might be a joystick.
Way, way back, I used to race with a joystick, and that worked really well.
A joystick is cheap (at least here it is), it will give you decent precision, and a reaction time that's probably better than a wheel.
When I switched from a joystick to a wheel, it took a long time before I did better with the wheel, and even then it was marginally better.

I share your feelings about those 900? but as I said, it can be adjusted... I guess it will be alright... I'll make you guys some pics when its delivered... I just hope, it doesn't take too long... Wednsday would be good, but I guess it will be thursaday.
You guys also never seem capable of waiting once you've ordered a thing??

Buba

I just got my wheel today... It took forever due to the carnival and some workfree days or something...
I had already a great time in GTR... In LFS however I have to relearn everything.... I only could do 1:41 laps so far... I've done 1:37:9 with the joypad... WTF 8)

Took some pics:

I guess its alot like the MOMO...

You can see, it has been built for the PS2

If anybody is interested in this wheel, I can only say, installation is no problem, concerning the fact its a PS2 wheel...

Buba