BFP UNO the transforming motorcycle

awdrifter

aaimfaadb.jpg

The anime version.
Remember UNO, the self-balancing motorcycle/Segway hybrid? We posted about it way back in April of '08. Don't be too hard on yourself if you don't remember, that was more than three years ago -- an eternity by butterfly standards. Well the latest incarnation, the UNO 3, is moving from prototype to actual development, and can be yours for a scant $5,000-$7,500. That's cheaper than than dinner at Applebee's! "What the?! I don't know what Applebee's you're going to but..." THE ONE ON THE MOON.

This transitioning design allows the Uno to be compact and nimble for weaving through traffic, bringing indoors and parking, while at the same time, having all the benefits of a conventional motorcycle at high-speed.

There's a worthwhile video after the jump showing the progression from the bike's early stages to its current development, which was pretty cool. It's even small enough to ride in an elevator! Plus it's all electric so you don't fume yourself to death riding in an elevator! Unless I'm in there and my lunch is disagreeing with me, in which case may God have mercy on your soul. What?! I'd try holding it but I heard it's bad for your butthole muscles!

Hit the jump for the video, the transformer trasformation I vidcapped goes down at 1:15.
http://www.geekologie.com/2011/05/uno-the-sidebyside-wheeled-electric-moto.php

This is just too freaking cool. It's almost straight out of the Ride Back anime. Now all it needs is some arms and make it be able to dance. :p

Awesome.

It definitely is cool but I have trouble seeing a market for that.

So it's an electrical motorbike, that can also function as a Segway? That's ok, when you don't have space to park your bike at home or at your company but for everyone else?

Help me out, guys: Who is supposed to buy that? Or do they expect to create their own market with it?

The best thing that does is go inside.

Can it be used as a wheelchair? those foot pegs seem to lack controls.

The best thing that does is go inside.

That's great. This way Americans can get rid of the last bit of way they have to actually walk: From their bed/sofa/desk to their car :p Maybe they can invent a special version, that has a backrest and a toilet included ;)

Seriously: I see a problem with bringing that thing into buildings. Not so bad, if only one person does it. But imagine dozens or hundreds of people. I can imagine some quite interesting scenes of chaos in supermarkets or offices, when people lose control over that thing and crash into walls, shelves or cubicles.

Last edited:
Businesses already have size/access problems with actual disabled persons' scooters (which have gotten more and more capable over the years, but keep going up in size as a result) entering buildings and blocking corridors and aisles. I can't imagine most places letting this thing in.

Haters gonna hate, it's cool for the noveltyvalue alone, it's electric so it could actualy works as a city runabout whithout looking as daft as those motorized-egg-podcar things they keep ramming down our throats as 'electric citycar concepts'. + the folding thing makes it easier to store them AND you can use it like a segway.

Respect to the designers for thinking outside the box.

Last edited:
Holy shit, this was started as a Grade 12 high school project? No wonder US schools are lagging behind.