• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Bicycles!

Hello, it’s been a while!

To be completely honest, I’ve kinda stopped cycling. 😐 The thumb injury killed all that momentum, and while I was out of commission I found myself missing riding my bike, but not so much looking forward to ramping up intentional training in order to get better at it. Just thinking about scheduling specific kinds of riding for specific days—intervals, zone 2, etc.—made it feel like a chore, and I just wanted to enjoy pedaling around. I think I recognized that for me turning cycling into primary exercise has the effect of taking the joy out of it. Yes, I could just take it easy and enjoy it, but this whole time I’ve felt like I wanted to do more. Progress has been slow without intensity and variety.

So instead I joined a CrossFit gym again. 😂 I’ve been going for three weeks now and just about right away it felt like home. CrossFit is something I’ve only ever done for exercise and with intensity, so it feels like an appropriate activity into which to channel that kind of effort, and cycling can be just a hobby.

The weekend before my first workout back I actually rode to the gym to scope out the route. It has more traffic and homelessness than I’d like, so I don’t know that I’ll ever ride to the gym, but it might happen eventually.

View attachment 3572529

A week later a friend and I went to a car show, then rode our bikes and found another car show during the ride. It was a good time and I look forward to doing more stuff like that in the future.

View attachment 3572530

And as for all my grand ideas about riding Unbound and what have you? That’ll have to wait. CrossFit provides me with fantastic high intensity training, but it means cycling is taking a back seat for sure. I don’t see myself doing big rides for a little while, to avoid burning myself out for the gym. Whatever fitness I gain and weight I lose at the gym, though, will come in handy on two wheels, so I very much anticipate my ability will rise even without intentionally pedaling for it. I’d still like to do some cool big things, like a century and bigger gravel adventures, and we’ll see what the future brings.

And yes, I’m most definitely feeling some buyer’s remorse about the bike and all the farkles. But hey, when I was buying all that crap I had no other plans, so it is what it is. I doubt I’ll ride so little that I’ll truly want to sell it. I think I’ll be happy if I go for some fun rides and even use it as transportation occasionally.
This reads like a CrossFit sponsorship segment lmao

on a serious note tho, fair enough for recognising when something just isn't working anymore, hope that CrossFit fills the gap, and has a favourable sponsorship agreement

This reads like a CrossFit sponsorship segment lmao

hope that CrossFit […] has a favourable sponsorship agreement

If only! 😂

I went for a ride today, yay!

The weather wasn’t all that great, and I underdressed for the occasion a bit, and it definitely felt different to put in a sustained longer effort compared to what I’ve been doing at the gym, and that was all fine. I didn’t enjoy the idiot tourists and inconsiderate locals making it hard to maintain any sort of momentum, and I encountered both a volleyball tournament and a charity walk along the path, but it was still a lovely couple of hours spent pedaling. Awesome active recovery.

IMG_2813.jpeg IMG_2814.jpeg IMG_2815.jpeg camphoto_1804928587.jpg IMG_2817.jpeg IMG_2818.JPG

I think next time I need to find some gravel.

I went for a ride today, yay!

The weather wasn’t all that great, and I underdressed for the occasion a bit, and it definitely felt different to put in a sustained longer effort compared to what I’ve been doing at the gym, and that was all fine. I didn’t enjoy the idiot tourists and inconsiderate locals making it hard to maintain any sort of momentum, and I encountered both a volleyball tournament and a charity walk along the path, but it was still a lovely couple of hours spent pedaling. Awesome active recovery.

View attachment 3572577 View attachment 3572578 View attachment 3572579 View attachment 3572576 View attachment 3572580 View attachment 3572575

I think next time I need to find some gravel.
love a good habour ngl, looks stunning

Seems everytime I come up north to ride I get annoyed by the same thing, ebikes that require no peddling. I haven't seen any on the mountain bike trails, but the multi-use paved trails are teeming with them. Always some nitwit blasting around on one, passing people without slowing down, without calling out to warn they are passing, etc. Sometimes it's a kid without any supervision, on a crowded path, just waiting to run over some unsuspecting walker. Anyone else annoyed by these folks and their complete disregard for the rules or other's safety?

Other than that, I am having an excellent time up here putting in miles on all the different trails. Hopefully that enthusiasm will continue back home.

Out of the blue question, but does anybody else have an insatiable hunger for some kind of James May cycling thing.

He's spoken about cycling a couple times on one or two podcasts but I feel like he could go on about it a lot more

Out of the blue question, but does anybody else have an insatiable hunger for some kind of James May cycling thing.
he did a few cycling related maintenance things on his youtube during the pandemic, iirc... so if you browse through those, maybe you can already find something for a quick fix at least :p

coming back to the original question: for me at least, I think he would be the wrong kind of cyclist :|

Anyone else annoyed by these folks and their complete disregard for the rules or other's safety?
Fortunately here in Germany those modified E-Bikes are few and far between, but there are enough others on normal E-Bikes and conventional bikes who overtake extremely closely or don't look out for dogs. Most people are relatively predictable, especially when they have been alerted by ringing the bell or speaking to them, dogs aren't so they may run across the path at any given time. I have come across a modified E-Bike on my way back home from work when I wasn't able to keep up with someone pedalling very leisurely while I went 28-30 kph (normal E-Bikes over here support up to 25 kph, north of that you have to do all the work).

That said #1, it's very rare someone overtakes me, usually I'm the one who overtakes... :ninja:

That said #2, unfortunately about 5% of dog owners think it's the sole responsibility of cyclists to look out for dogs, even if the dog is somewhere in the shrubs where you have no chance to see it. When I'm out and about I look specifically for people with leashes in their hands, but no dog to be seen, this is where you have to be extra careful since the dog could be 100m in front, 100m behind or right next to the person and can jump out of the shrub at any time.

unfortunately about 5% of dog owners think it's the sole responsibility of cyclists to look out for dogs
tbh, in my experience, these dog owners outnumber the actual crazy cyclist people over here in my experience... if you discount school kids :|

they are a real menace and I encounter them regularly when going to and from my daughters daycare. most school kids, besides weaving about like crazy and riding 3 abreast, cannot fathom that anyone could actually be coming the other way (i dunno, like they themselves do on their way back home?) and, additionally, are completely incapable of looking further than 5m in front of them. if i'm unlucky enough to catch the exact timing where all those kids are out and about, I just preemptively start ringing my bell when they start coming towards me. they then look shocked to find me there and are completely incapable of any proper reaction, still riding three abreast, blocking the entire path and just stopping like that. morons. don't get me started on them bloody dawdling along at falling-over-pace while shouting at each other because they simultaneously have to listen to their music. and thus can't hear my bell if I want to pass them. ffs. BLOODY KIDS GET OFF MUH LAWN HURRRRRR

Fortunately here in Germany those modified E-Bikes are few and far between, but there are enough others on normal E-Bikes and conventional bikes who overtake extremely closely or don't look out for dogs. Most people are relatively predictable, especially when they have been alerted by ringing the bell or speaking to them, dogs aren't so they may run across the path at any given time. I have come across a modified E-Bike on my way back home from work when I wasn't able to keep up with someone pedalling very leisurely while I went 28-30 kph (normal E-Bikes over here support up to 25 kph, north of that you have to do all the work).

That said #1, it's very rare someone overtakes me, usually I'm the one who overtakes... :ninja:

That said #2, unfortunately about 5% of dog owners think it's the sole responsibility of cyclists to look out for dogs, even if the dog is somewhere in the shrubs where you have no chance to see it. When I'm out and about I look specifically for people with leashes in their hands, but no dog to be seen, this is where you have to be extra careful since the dog could be 100m in front, 100m behind or right next to the person and can jump out of the shrub at any time.

I think these are Wish/Temu/Alibaba specials. No real brand or anything, just the cheapest shit that could be packed in a shipping container, sent to the port of Long Beach and then delivered to these people's home. All for the low, low price of just $799.

Dogs brings up another point that grinds my proverbial gears. Dogs are supposed to be on a leash. Guess how many times out of ten I actually see that? I'll wait.

*Jeopardy Thinking Music*

Correct, one time out of ten. I don't care if you have the sweetest dog in the world, I've been attacked by dogs in the past and do not want that again.

tbh, in my experience, these dog owners outnumber the actual crazy cyclist people over here in my experience... if you discount school kids :|

they are a real menace and I encounter them regularly when going to and from my daughters daycare. most school kids, besides weaving about like crazy and riding 3 abreast, cannot fathom that anyone could actually be coming the other way (i dunno, like they themselves do on their way back home?) and, additionally, are completely incapable of looking further than 5m in front of them. if i'm unlucky enough to catch the exact timing where all those kids are out and about, I just preemptively start ringing my bell when they start coming towards me. they then look shocked to find me there and are completely incapable of any proper reaction, still riding three abreast, blocking the entire path and just stopping like that. morons. don't get me started on them bloody dawdling along at falling-over-pace while shouting at each other because they simultaneously have to listen to their music. and thus can't hear my bell if I want to pass them. ffs. BLOODY KIDS GET OFF MUH LAWN HURRRRRR

You mention bells, I have one, I use it and then announce "On your left" in my very best customer service voice. Ninety nine percent of the time I get one of two responses.

1. I scare the absolute Jesus out of the person that apparently must have thought they were the only person on the planet (or at least on the trail). This is mostly walkers.

2. No response whatsoever. Why? They have ear buds in and apparently, again, must think they are in their own little world and no one else is going to be around. This is mostly joggers BTW. Least friendly bunch of people on the trail.

The remaining 1% of the time they acknowledge my bell/statement, wave and I tell them "to have a nice day" as I pass. These people are good people.

You also mention people not riding/walking singlefile. Trails are usually not wide enough here for three to fit abreast, but that doesn't stop people from not really leaving enough room to comfortably pass (in either direction), so I end up going off the trail to get past them without an accident. Or if it is the one time they actually have a dog on a leash, they have so much slack in it, the dog, the leash and the leash holder have the trail completely blocked.

. I scare the absolute Jesus out of the person
this one I sometimes even get with people who have clearly seen me coming just a few seconds earlier and somehow cannot comprehend that I don't just vanish into thin air once they turn their back. object permanence somehow isn't a thing for them, it seems.

They have ear buds in [...] joggers BTW.
guilty. if I jog, I also have earbuds in. but I'd still be perfectly able to hear a bloody bell. and I actively take care to move to the side so as not to be in the way anyway - and try to run as predictable as is possible, i.e. in a bloody straight line. also also: if someone does ring, I either give them a little wave, thumbs up or actively turn around to look for them...

The remaining 1% of the time they acknowledge my bell/statement, wave and I tell them "to have a nice day" as I pass. These people are good people.
it's a bit sad, isn't it? that you're actually surprised by people trying not to get run over out there and behaving in a semi-sensible way? I also always say thanks to people that actually acknowledge my ringing my bell and moving to the side... apparently that's hard. so many times that I've rung my bell thrice, simply because I don't get any indication of whether they've heard or not, and then they start complaining into the void about rude cyclists constantly ringing their bell as if they hadn't heard yada yada

... a lot of this stuff seems to boil to down to basic common sense, common decency and at least some empathy, which a bunch of people seem to lack. thinking about this, drivers are usually worse, cause of the psychological effect of sitting in a bloody metal box, but I guess we're all used to that now :p

oh, also, which is something I used to only encounter on the autobahn: drivers that have to overtake me revving up wildly when I'm out on my road bike, then suddenly realize they're in a 30 zone and proceed to brake all the way down the second they're past...

Today's ride, despite knowing better, I decided to go the long way back to the AirBnB using the paved rail trail. Which, was a mistake. Witnessed a lady nearly get flatened by a Toyota because she ignored the stop sign, then another lady on a road bike blasted in front of the same Toyota, while talking loudly to someone on her headset. Also running a stop sign. A single block later a gang of 3 of the aforementioned throttled ebikes with a 4 kids younger than 12 on them was on the wrong side of the bike path (which was partially blocked by an illegally parked Subaru and an F-150 who had it completely blocked to load a tote from a brewery) not pedaling and just blasting along. I think I'll stay out of downtown tomorrow.

On a brighter note, I know that despite being not a small human (260 lbs/118 kg) and riding a rigid bike, I am faster than a couple of older guys on pedal assist full suspenion ebikes on moderately technical singletrack, both up and downhill. Now it might be more down to 28 years of mountain bike experience, meaning I mostly know what I can just bomb over and what needs a little more finesse to not crash/fall over.

marquette_7824.jpg

He's spoken about cycling a couple times on one or two podcasts but I feel like he could go on about it a lot more
ooh, yes

Ugh... our cargo bikes front light stopped working. Sound familiar, anyone?
I already noticed a while ago that there was condensation inside the thing on the lens... but that's not really something I can do anything about. The light is a rebranded litemove se-110 from cube's own acid brand, which can be had for about 70e. it was alright from a light perspective (certainly much better than everything we had on the old babboe), but if this first one caught moisture this quickly, I'd expect a direct replacement to do the same at some point. it's a Bosch cargo line motor in there (no idea which generation) with some sort of weird plug connector somewhere in line under the box (which, I suspect, is nothing to do with the Bosch but actually from the light). I have absolutely no clue what voltage the bloody thing delivers, because according to the interwebs that can be configured between 6 / 12V and the light will happy take anything from 6-16V according to its specs. UGH.
anyway, err... ideas? :p

edit: contacted the seller as well as cube directly just asking about this crap - should technically be a warranty issue... question is whether they'll actually want to deal with this or not. and if I want to deal with the grey hairs involved rather than spend the money on a new (and possibly better?) light.

Last edited:
should technically be a warranty issue... question is whether they'll actually want to deal with this or not.
Err, after just four months that's not technically a warranty issue, it's absolutely a warranty issue. That's even within the six-months-period where the customer doesn't have to prove anything so get to it.

Good thing it's summer right now, that should ease the pressure since it mostly doesn't matter if the front light is working or not, people will ignore your right of way anyway if you're on a bicycle...

anyway, err... ideas? :p
If you really want a replacement I recommend Busch+Müller, my IQ-X's on my cargo bikes never failed. On the old one it has been at least four years and 15k km, on the current one it has been 7 months and 5k km. That said, I don't have any experience with E-bike lights, mine are all either hub dynamo or standalone powered.

Err, after just four months that's not technically a warranty issue, it's absolutely a warranty issue. That's even within the six-months-period where the customer doesn't have to prove anything so get to it.
Oh yeah, starting that off is easy enough, question is whether it’ll just be them sending me a replacement or whether they’ll make it a hassle (basically anything other than that)… hence my comment on whether I want to deal with it.
you really want a replacement I recommend Busch+Müller, my IQ-X's on my cargo bikes never failed. On the old one it has been at least four years and 15k km, on the current one it has been 7 months and 5k km. That said, I don't have any experience with E-bike lights, mine are all either hub dynamo or standalone powered.
Cheers! Stumbled across those as well and they looked reasonable (price vs performance). I think the ebike model is basically the same as the dynamo model tbh… maybe even exactly the same.

Oh yeah, starting that off is easy enough, question is whether it’ll just be them sending me a replacement or whether they’ll make it a hassle (basically anything other than that)… hence my comment on whether I want to deal with it.
huh, despite ordering the bike through an online marketplace kinda thing from a store in dunkeldeutschland, they seem to be taking care of this properly. told me to send some pictures including defect (well.. the light is off I guess? taking pics of the water droplets inside the lens is near impossible) and it seems like they'll simply send me a replacement - which I'd be fine with, for now, I guess.