Bicycles!

Did you make it? :D
give some stats on the trip.

yes. i was too destroyed to dig out the thread again yesterday, but here we go: https://www.google.de/maps/ms?msid=208566920370409734487.0004e0dbd77f1dd2c649b&msa=0 (the track is all split up... stats are included with the last point on the second page)

the movement time given is wrong though. somehow my tracks didnt register the pauses we did and assumed we were still moving. so instead of those ~15min of pause we rather had some 50-60min in total. average speed should be between 23 and 24km/h. well chuffed with that, i can tell you. but my legs aren't happy at all :p ... at a total height-gain of over 1000m, who can blame them :D
also the height graph thats included is a little off as well, since we did mostly the same route both ways, so it should mirror in the middle... which it doesnt...

Last edited:
Nice ride. What are you riding anyway?
That's a good average speed, given the terrain and climbs.

I haven't had the time to ride, did a 20 'sprint' the other day. Hopefully I'll do more this week.
Maybe today still, if the weather clears up. But I usually go for shorter rides, 20-40km, since I really don't have somebody to ride with and somehow can't find the time.
Do when I did 80 a few weeks ago my legs felt it :D

It did 47 km yesterday with an average speed of 28.1 kph. And because I haven't done much cycling this year so far, that was well enough... I really need to do more.

Nice ride. What are you riding anyway?

sort of a touring / trekking bike? i don't quite know what the proper english expression should be.
to be very clear, this (taken yesterday):
2013-07-06%2017.37.07.jpg

mvgayr.jpg

Introducing my new friend Saxo! I picked her up yesterday!

She's matte clear coated carbon fiber with white and light blue accents, the same as the Saxo Bank race bike. She's a 2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite.

She joins Marlin, my lime green Gary Fisher Marlin (only the frame and the odd piece is stock now) cross country bike.

I had the choice between Saxo and a brand new Hyundai Accent and chose Saxo. The initial investment was slightly higher (barely compared to a 25% down payment) for the bike + gear but in the end I don't have to pay insurance, gas, and I can continue to save up for C4 Z06 or other super fun car instead of a garbage econ box.

I went mountain biking with a small group of friends tonight. Unfortunately the light I had bought earlier today (which cost be $74) was totally inadequate for the job of whisking through the trees on a downhill trail at night. I found to my misfortune that a tree trunk was stuck out a bit further than I thought (well tbh I never really saw it) which caught the right handlebar at speed, stopping the bike instantly and pitching me over the bars. My left leg was fairly badly scraped right up to my hip, my left shoulder is very painful (I dont think it's broken but it hurts to move it) as I must've jarred it or landed on it and my right knee got cut up. I'm sore but generally ok, I could've been going a lot faster! The bike survived without so much as a scratch as it ended up in long grass and the trail itself was dirt which was a big benefit to me!

Think I'm gonna buy a better light.

I went mountain biking with a small group of friends tonight. Unfortunately the light I had bought earlier today (which cost be $74) was totally inadequate for the job of whisking through the trees on a downhill trail at night. I found to my misfortune that a tree trunk was stuck out a bit further than I thought (well tbh I never really saw it) which caught the right handlebar at speed, stopping the bike instantly and pitching me over the bars. My left leg was fairly badly scraped right up to my hip, my left shoulder is very painful (I dont think it's broken but it hurts to move it) as I must've jarred it or landed on it and my right knee got cut up. I'm sore but generally ok, I could've been going a lot faster! The bike survived without so much as a scratch as it ended up in long grass and the trail itself was dirt which was a big benefit to me!

I've found that cheap ?20 10,000,000,000 lumen bike lights off Ebay are actually quite good. Obviously they aren't quite as bright or long lasting as a Hope or similar but they are a 7th of the price and lights tend to get broken regularly doing off-roading at night anyway.
This sort of thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XML-...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item1c2cf97a0a

Ouch! I know that feeling. I used to use the 3-600$ range lights (riding in pitch black forest at night) but I'd recommend mounting any higher end light upside down and close to the stem. I never had one break mounted and hidden under there.

Also I suggest a cheaper light for the helmet. It really helps to have both.

Yeah I didnt have a light on my helmet which really cost me. The light on the handlebars only points in the direction the front wheel is facing which isnt much good if the track bends or dips tightly!

Thanks for the suggestion Peter3hg

Great choice man! I actually have a couple of sponsored friends (pro riders) who use those!

Anyone headed for a ride today? I'm thinking I'm going to do an 80k ride after work (should be 3 hours)

Are you like the Canadian RaptorJesus?

Great choice man! I actually have a couple of sponsored friends (pro riders) who use those!

Anyone headed for a ride today? I'm thinking I'm going to do an 80k ride after work (should be 3 hours)

Yeah my mate is able to order one for me, he builds bikes and can order in some pretty cool stuff for cost price.

Of the bikes he builds, here's a pic.

220463_415310261858482_1587255291_o.jpg

I think I posted this before but I'm part of a team (fourth guy in from the left of the pic) who rides these three wheeled human powered vehicles in races against other teams and schools. We enter two 6 hour races and a 24 hour endurance Le Mans style event in September. It's pretty fun and competitive.

As for going for a ride today, no. It's pissing down with rain so I'll probably hit the gym and do some intensive cardio work. Also my shoulder is still giving me grief and we're entered in one of the 6 hour races on the weekend I dont want to put too much stress through it. I'm a tall guy and my shoulders rub against the frame, and given we race on a clockwise track my left shoulder comes in for some punishment. We're also going mountain biking in a couple of weeks here :cool: