Bicycles!

uhm, wat? That's like deciding between taking the bus or eating an apple.

Yep.

The bus I like costs R$3299.
The apple is only R$949.

I think you'd need to decide what you plan to do with said bicycle, then you but what fits that.

I want something that can take me to the university and the occasional weekend ride. See above why I haven't bought something yet.

I want something that can take me to the university and the occasional weekend ride.
I'd recommend a trekking bike, something with a luggage rack. Because carrying a backpack on a bicycle sucks.

What bikes are these?
Single speeds are road bikes with only one gear. Less to go wrong, but useless in hilly environments. Also, hipsterific.

Go for a cyclocross my friend. Best of both worlds.

The bus I like costs R$3299.
The apple is only R$949.

Surely those can't be your only options... My mountain bike is pretty entry level, was about the cheapest thing the shop in a hardtail mountain bike, I have no complaints. And that sounds like too much for whatever that "single speed" is. Personally I wouldn't want a simple commuter bike that was worth any money, less worry about it getting stolen.... I don't bike commute... >_>

I'm assuming that somehow the bus is a mountain bike. I'm not sure I understand the metaphor.

I'd recommend a trekking bike, something with a luggage rack. Because carrying a backpack on a bicycle sucks.

On a road bike, definitely, since you're like a table for the bag, but I've always worn a backpack on my mountain bike and it's totally fine. The different riding positions make a huge difference.

Last edited:
Just installed SPD pedals and used them with some mtb shoes to commute to work today ? major? success!

Gah, still waiting to buy some SPD pedals, shoes waiting at home.
This year has been awfull, lots of rain, and when there is sunshine, I have no time, did only 1 ride in the last month!!
Hopefully, I'll get everything around the house (constructon and redecorating) sorted in the next week or so, so will be free to wait for a sunny day.

I want something that can take me to the university and the occasional weekend ride. See above why I haven't bought something yet.

Well, that part is the tricky bit ... what sort of weekend-ride will you be doing?

radtour_wetterauer_seenplatte_2.jpg

1268674440D_ok_bike_m_024_Radtour.jpg

?

Yep.

If there are any slight hills in your area I'd recommend to stay away from the single speed if you don't intend to use it for training purposes. There's a great risk that the weekend rides will be cancelled after two or three sessions otherwise.

I pretty much agree to DanRoM's idea of buying a trekking bike but am aware that these are pretty uncommon outside Germany so you'll have to search a bit to find something that you'll like.

Single speeds are road bikes with only one gear. Less to go wrong, but useless in hilly environments. Also, hipsterific.

Yep, the "hipster factor" makes me think twice. Also, there are not many hills in my daily commute.

Go for a cyclocross my friend. Best of both worlds.

A what?
*googles*

:lol:

That looks so weird.

If there are any slight hills in your area I'd recommend to stay away from the single speed if you don't intend to use it for training purposes. There's a great risk that the weekend rides will be cancelled after two or three sessions otherwise.

I pretty much agree to DanRoM's idea of buying a trekking bike but am aware that these are pretty uncommon outside Germany so you'll have to search a bit to find something that you'll like.

Trekkie? Something like a mountain bike?

I haven't ridden a single speed since I was a child. I could not imagine not having multiple gears.

What bikes are these?

bike-700-pista-cromoly-flip-flop-airwalk_MLB-O-3966864538_032013.jpg

Surely those can't be your only options... My mountain bike is pretty entry level, was about the cheapest thing the shop in a hardtail mountain bike, I have no complaints. And that sounds like too much for whatever that "single speed" is. Personally I wouldn't want a simple commuter bike that was worth any money, less worry about it getting stolen.... I don't bike commute... >_>

I'm assuming that somehow the bus is a mountain bike. I'm not sure I understand the metaphor.

On a road bike, definitely, since you're like a table for the bag, but I've always worn a backpack on my mountain bike and it's totally fine. The different riding positions make a huge difference.

Around here, R$600 is around what you would pay for the cheapest, crappiest bicycle, bought in something like Walmart.
A decent MTB is around R$1,500. Hardtail, really cheap components.
Yeah, it was a poor metaphor, I was just trying to say the single-speed was an options because of price.

Well, that part is the tricky bit ... what sort of weekend-ride will you be doing?

View attachment 14213

View attachment 14214

?

The first option. Mostly parks and around the block with my son.

Trekkie? Something like a mountain bike?

Something like this:
73jyvm.jpg

They're extremely popular over here as daily commuters and/or weekend bikes. They usually got thinner wheels and therefore less resistance than MTB's but are capable to go off tarmac to a certain degree unlike a racing bike.

Something like this:
73jyvm.jpg

They're extremely popular over here as daily commuters and/or weekend bikes. They usually got thinner wheels and therefore less resistance than MTB's but are capable to go off tarmac to a certain degree unlike a racing bike.

Oh, right.

We have a few, but it's harder to find than a MTB or a road bike.
I considered one of those, but with the amount of cobblestone roads, potholes, patches in tarmac , etc. I think I might need a front suspension. :|

they usually come with front suspension and (like in case of the one pictured) with seat post suspension as well.

Oh, right.

We have a few, but it's harder to find than a MTB or a road bike.
I considered one of those, but with the amount of cobblestone roads, potholes, patches in tarmac , etc. I think I might need a front suspension. :|
Just get a 29er MTB. It will fit MTB tires and "normal"/city tires.

My commuter to clarify - front suspended, 1x10 drivetrain, disc brakes and 37mm tires:
IMG_20140827_181521.jpg

(Unfocused picture, but you get the point :))

So far, this is shaping up to be the best alternative.
Buy 29er, change tires.

sounds like a plan, you'll basically end up with what we'd call trekking bike over here. sort of :)

sounds like a plan, you'll basically end up with what we'd call trekking bike over here. sort of :)

Yep.
Still will cost me at least R$2000 for a decent one. :|

Hah, Germans are different than us. :unsure: Nah, but there's people around these parts with racks on their bikes, backpacks/messenger bags are just more common.

Grrr, another flat. And on my first ride with a new group - I helped make the ride last way too long with that. I like the 23cm tires that came on my bike, like zero rolling resistance, feels good still catching up to people at a coast while they have to start pedalling, but these roads, man. 25cm soon? Mebbe. Would also make unavoidable random patches on roads slightly less physically painful...