Bicycles!

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, Tracer 900 GT & two bikes
I cannot remotely compete with @Eye-Q, but at least today I did the longest ride on my road bike since 2009, with about 72 km. :blink: Didn't realize it's been that long ago...

This month, I'm at 165 km in total, but this will increase sharply over the next two weeks because we have a cycling challenge at work. So, if weather permits....

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
72km and you didn't notice? o_O I can remember doing that only when on vacation in Florida years ago. The paths were so flat you could go so far away and not even notice where here, we have these long inclines that you hardly notice until you're halfway up and think you're a weakling for not finishing the incline in one go only to realize you've been going up for about 2 miles (roughly 3+km?).

I guess this is why I'm fat, and you're not.

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
72km and you didn't notice?
That's a misunderstanding. Of course I did notice how long the ride was, but I didn't realize it's been eleven years since I last did 70+ km in one go (two three minute banana eating breaks at bus stops don't count).
I have done more km/day in the years in between during cycling vacations, but those were with a proper hour-long lunch break in the middle.

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
This morning I completed 1000 km since the beginning of the year! The majority of this (800 km) on the road bike; using the trekking bike to visit friends or go to the supermarket was really not much so far (but those are really short-distance rides anyway)

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...

In honor of the occasion I rode almost the same distance as you last Sunday, but that included a fair amount of gravel, sand and tree roots, sometimes all at the same time. This brings the gravel bike alone up to 1285 km (800 miles) in 7 weeks and 2 days.

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...
Straight, 90° turn, straight, 90° turn, straight, 180° turn, straight, 90° turn, straight, 90° turn, straight, 90° turn - damn, that's boring... :p

Ah well, when there's no other way through the fields or so that's the only way to ride so be it, at least you rode. :)

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
If I don't want to load the bike up and drag it to the greenways, that's about my only choice, unfortunately.

I did do that today though (I was already in town to "work" at the trophy shop).

photo_2020-08-04_12-03-44.jpg

https://strava.app.link/gAogqVsiG8

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...
I can do hicklety picklety as well... o_O

Just bought a new saddle for the cargo bike and wanted to break it in. :)

1596657408960.png

(Yes, there is a perfectly circular street in the east)

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...
Yeah, already saw it yesterday. That's why I have rear view mirrors on my bicycles so I can spot dumbasses (and apparently from now on overhanging loads :poop:) coming up behind. I never heard of such a freak accident before though...

To be honest, IMHO a rear view mirror, even a small one, is way more important than cycling helmets. I don't think helmets or rear view mirrors should be mandatory, but they are safety items which can save lifes, just like seatbelts, airbags, antilock brakes or ESP in cars. Clip on rear view mirrors cost something like 5-10 bucks so they don't break the bank but can give you so much more information about what's going on behind you.