Bicycles!

this is insane… and the article states probablyy soon to be expanded to the EU. I knew of the reports of failing cranks, but recalling 11 years worth? Wow! Also: replacement path will be straight to the corresponding current 12s model.
Absolute mess for stages/4iiii power meter companies and users though.
… I have a 6800 on my zwift bike, so that sits in buckets of sweat and extreme temperature swings constantly. I’ve actually worried about it, if I’m honest.

Edit: currently 2.8 million crank sets potentially affected. The shimano site now states that you go to „your local shimano service partner“ - as if I have something like that! Oof. Anyway… let’s see what October 1st will bring, that’s when things are supposed to go down…

Last edited:
Yeah, that’s a pretty spectacular number of cranks. My pleb 105-level GRX Praxis stuff is safe, though. 😬

… I have a 6800 on my zwift bike, so that sits in buckets of sweat and extreme temperature swings constantly.
Now to wait for Oct 1st and then find our what kind of Shimano Shop will even take a look at it, seeing as it's a bike I bought online more than 8 years ago...
Also also: I checked the shimano store finder thing and actual "shimano partner" places are super rare and hard to find. this is gonna be fun :| also since the shop itself does the assessment as far as i understand it, it has to be an actual shimano place, not just the random store you bought the bike from (otherwise i'd just go to the nearest cube store, but they're not official shimano or whatever).

I know there is an official Shimano center in Valkenburg, but that's not very near you...
Cheers - there are a few options that are at least vaguely on my commute-route... so not too bad. the perspective of potentially ending up with a current gen ultegra crank (especially considering my crank lives in the perfect conditions to show issues) as a replacement kinda makes me more willing to go on a little detour ;-)

I'm also not convinced how willing the shops are going to be to take on this kind of thing... and how easy/hard it's going to be to get an appointment for the assessment. We'll see... we'll see...

I'm also not convinced how willing the shops are going to be to take on this kind of thing... and how easy/hard it's going to be to get an appointment for the assessment. We'll see... we'll see...
Ok found a shop nearby that's willing to take a look - maybe because I told them I'd be taking the cranks out of the bike myself anyway (so about half of the actual work saved for them).

From my own very cursory glance, my chances for a replacement are actually quite good... the crank shows a very distinct clicking on every revolution (just like the "example noise" from the shimano recall manual) as well as rather distinct lines and tactile bumps at some of the joins - the latter could well be salt-buildup from sweating on it a bunch, though.
Anyway, the waiting begins... because nobody knows how long this shit will take. If they find nothing wrong with my cranks at the shop, I guess I'll be free to take them home straight away, but I doubt they'll risk that and much rather just take down "unsure" and send it to shimano anyway. I'll be on holiday next week, so if they decide to keep it there, I'll have enough time to source a cheap replacement (since this is Zwift duty only it doesn't matter what crank goes on as long as it's kinda stiff and 11s compatible) to tide me over.

Edit: after taking the crank off and giving it a good clean, it looks much better than before… crap 🙈
But anyway, I did find a very distinct but tiny little fault / delamination, which I’ll be sure to point out to the shop in case they miss it…
IMG_1926.jpeg

Edit 2: mechanic at the shop said yeah he also thinks that’s separating and will send it to shimano. He said to give him a call if I don’t hear anything within 4 weeks - which I find overly optimistic lol. I would expect 12+ weeks or worse.

Last edited:
Don’t want to edit again so whatever here goes!

New crank day. And chain. And cassette. And bottom bracket. On muh Zwift machine. Didn’t want to wait however long shimano decides to take with replacing my old crank so sourced this thing. All the rest has been in a box for ages already.

The BB put up quite a fight… bsa threaded, so at least straightforward. But loctite, 8 years and someone who took the 40 Nm recommendation liberally… first I rounded off the plastic (wtf?) shimano adapter, then with a third party steel one I was afraid I’d just rip the thing in half. It did come out in the end though. Now to get that stupid old derailleur to shut up :|

IMG_2109.jpeg

A sneak peak towards the very custom bike I ordered in September - a couple of parts are still on back order, but they should arrive soon so I'm hopeful I'll get the bike in November. :)

2023-10-20 Sneak Peak Unicorn.jpg

… I may have some of those same parts (crank, brifters) down in the basement waiting for a frame (but xplr in the rear rather than eagle) 😐
Nice timing and all that… I just got a spent notification for the frame I ordered straight from the OEM in chiiiiiiiina. It’s not one of the super cheap ones, and YouTube tells me their QC and processes are good. Will see, bit of a gamble still.
So, I guess November is a reasonable guess 🤣

One of the largest online (bicycle) retailers in germany (and in part beyond) has filed for insolvency (german source): https://www.mtb-news.de/news/fahrrad-de-internetstores-insolvenz-eroeffnet/
most of their online stores have refused returns for the past week or so, but it's unclear what will happen to some of the associated / sub-companies, which include quite a few actual bike brands (and which could just be sold off, being healthy companies on their own).

among their brands / stores / subsidiaries - just to give you an idea of how big this is - are fahrrad.de, Wiggle and chainreactioncycles... and a huge bunch more (see source). this may shake the cycling market a little, since it's rumored that fahrrad.de alone is currently sitting on inventory worth more than €100mil.

Didn’t want to wait however long shimano decides to take with replacing my old crank so sourced this thing.
Well, just got a call that yes, Shimano are actually replacing my crank and I should have a replacement by this coming weekend. Exactly 3 weeks from dropping it off at the shop. I am actually impressed.

Edit: some carbon has arrived, please ignore the mess :|
1698307946695.png

Last edited:
An unthinkable thing has happened: I am joining the bicycle thread :D

Have been out recently with my GF, doing some local tours and going to the office together on bikes (her family has like... 11 of the things, so I had a choice to borrow from). And ultimately decided that getting one of my own makes sense after all, maybe even more so than the Mi e-scooter that I've been occasionally using the last couple years. Also, my company offers JobRad leasing, so the current cost of bikes wasn't as much of a factor as I feared. So, after some research, today the lease order has been submitted for this thing:

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 11.57.09.jpeg

It's a Koga F3 6.0 2024, hybrid road/touring type. 28", aluminum frame, front and saddle suspension, belt drive with 8-speed hub gearing, hydraulic disc brakes, integrated lights (with DRLs even), and other stuff I probably forgot. I test rode a bunch of things, and was really impressed by the belt drive: so smooth! So quiet! So maintenance-free :D And it kinda fits the overall style of what I chose, with all cables and wiring hidden away into the frame, nice and clean.

Probably going to take until next week for pick up. Kinda looking forward to owning one again, I haven't had a bike since way back in school.

Probably going to take until next week for pick up. Kinda looking forward to owning one again, I haven't had a bike since way back in school.
Welcome back :D

Also very similar to my wifes bike - belt, 8 speed, hydraulic (!) discs, relaxed geometry... my wife's only missing the suspension bits. Should be a very good every-day machine. And, as you say, mostly maintenance-free (do give the thing a clean from time to time - the belt will thank you with much prolonged life).

I need to replace my old bike computer (Sigma Rox 12) due to my recent installation of the Spider App on the device. :(

Paging @Eye-Q: fahrrad-xxl.de has the Hammerhead Karoo 2 für €260. Should I go for it?
I assume that with ANT+, connecting my existing HR and speed/cadence sensors will not be a problem?

Last edited:
Paging @Eye-Q: fahrrad-xxl.de has the Hammerhead Karoo 2 für €260. Should I go for it?
Maybe wait for whatever shopping holiday comes up in November - Black Friday? The karoo2 was reduced down to 250€ everywhere (even at hammerhead themselves) for a long while in summer, effectively making that the new standard price. So while I’d say 260€ is fair for what you get, it can definitely go for cheaper…
I assume that with ANT+, connecting my existing HR and speed/cadence sensors will not be a problem?
If they are ANT+ or BT you shouldn’t have any problems. Some standards are nice and actually work 😉

Things are coming along nicely on my end… I just need to find a bit more time to finish everything up…
IMG_2211.jpegIMG_2326.jpegIMG_2327.jpegIMG_2189.jpeg
Routing of cables through the integrated bars was no issue at all. As was the pressfit BB and the tubeless tires - getting them on was a bit of a fight (but far less than my tubed gp5000), but they seated fine and held air instantly with just a regular floor pump.
What actually was annoying was the actual „plumbing“ at the levers, because with the fully integrated cockpit the brake line simply has maybe 2cm of wiggle room to fiddle them in and secure that stupid nut without cross threading everything.

The karoo2 was reduced down to 250€ everywhere (even at hammerhead themselves) for a long while in summer, effectively making that the new standard price.
I checked some other shops. Yeah, that's the normal price now.
it can definitely go for cheaper…
I doubt it'll go down much during Black Friday/Week because of this recent development. I'm not sure I'm that patient. On the other hand, it's November, the weather is shit, and not being able to use the bike (I just cannot bike without a speedo) won't be a problem...

As long as the sensors are standard ANT+ or Bluetooth capable the Karoo will connect to them. You can get the Karoo (very) lightly used for less than 200 Euros on kleinanzeigen.de though, I bought mine for 180 Euros and picked it up personally 36 km away so I made a ride out of it. ;)
You can manually transfer the mileage of your bike(s), there are multiple profiles where you can choose which bike is the default bike for any given profile. Additionally you can specify which sensors are fitted to which bikes so the computer doesn't search for sensors which might be not available on the current profile/bike anyway. Even if you don't have multiple bikes, but you don't always use the HR sensor you could set up a second profile where the HR sensor is disabled and the data field isn't visible in ride as well.

That said, you absolutely must have a Hammerhead account just to set the device up in the first place, there's no way around it. I don't know about the current Garmin or Wahoo experience, I've never had one of those. Then again, you can just set up a dedicated E-Mail-address for signing up there so nothing can link back to your main address. I assume with your line of work that shouldn't be a problem. ;)
Additionally, if you want to navigate with it and rely on beeps to get heads ups for the next turn the Karoo 2 the beeper's volume of the Karoo 2 is way too low compared to Garmin or Wahoo. On quiet roads you can hear the beeps, but in the city or on roads with a bit of car traffic it's not loud enough.
One more thing: the standard mount of the Karoo 2 isn't compatible with Garmin or Wahoo mounts. There is a mount for normal round handlebars included plus an adapter which get fixed semi-permanently to the head unit. That means if you have aero (non-round) handlebars with a Garmin or Wahoo compatible mount you can use the adapter, but then it's relatively cumbersome to use the standard mount if you have that one attached to a second bike. There are no out front mounts for Karoo 2 for aero handlebars, not even aftermarket ones.

What actually was annoying was the actual „plumbing“ at the levers, because with the fully integrated cockpit the brake line simply has maybe 2cm of wiggle room to fiddle them in and secure that stupid nut without cross threading everything.
Yeah, I like the semi-integrated solution with very tightly routed cables which go into oversized spacers way better, that way you could replace the handlebars without having to rebleed the brakes (and possibly reroute the shifting cables). Canyon does that with the 2nd gen Grail and the current gen Endurace CF, I'm sure other manufacturers do that as well or follow suit soon.

Last edited: