Bicycles!

Few updates to my bike. I've caught the bug and emptied my bank account a bit. I've added a pair of Fox Float 120 RLC, a Rock Shox Reverb seat post, some wider bars and new tyres that will hopefully be less puncture prone. You may notice that the cranks aren't the same either. The pedal threads failed on the first set so I accepted a pair of the older style SLX cranks which have a steel pedal thread insert.
My only concern is that I have just noticed that my heel has been rubbing on the left hand chainstay. I need to try adjusting the angle of my cleats or put some protection on the frame.

BUMP! The weather's finally coming around!

I took my bike out last week, took it in for a tune up, and have been enjoying the hell out of it for the past few days:

http://img59.imageshack.**/img59/8106/imag0410eo.jpg

If anyone's wondering, it's a '12 Giant Escape 2, which I'd highly recommend.... amazing value and has yet to let me down in any way. I modified and accessorized it exactly to my liking, but the only thing it really needs is a new pair of pedals. Seriously, the standard platform pedals Giant put on it are pathetic. :p

A bit late to the conversation, as per usual, but I ride a fixed gear.

AGH JESUS I KNEW IT JJJ IS A DIRTY HIPSTER

Er, in other bike-related news, my bike was stolen 6 or 7 years ago and I finally got around to buying a new one. Kept an eye out for last-year's models and got a Jamis Dakar XC-Sport for $500. Not a top-of-the-line bike by any means, but some of the components are decent and the less-then-decent parts will be upgraded upon breakage.

IMG_20130329_172652_zpse9d3bf57.jpg

Frame: (19") 7005 aluminum, fully-active/multi-link design with 90mm rear travel
Fork: RST Gilo Pro TnL, external lock out, compression and preload, 100mm travel
Rear Shock: Rockshox Bar R air shock with rebound damping
Derailleurs: Shimano Alivio M430 rear and Alivio M431 31.8mm top pull front
Shiftlevers: Shimano Alivio M430 RapidFire-SL, 9-speed
Cassette: SRAM PG-950, 9-speed, 11-34
Crankset: Shimano Alivio M430, 44/32/22, 170mm (13-15?), 175mm (17-23?)
BB Set: Shimano UN26, sealed cartridge, 68 x 122.5
Brakeset: Tektro IO mechanical disc brakes, ML-330 levers and 160mm wavy rotors

Yeah, I know some of those words. The front fork is pretty crap but overall I think it was worth the scratch.
Of course, it started snowing again as soon as I bought it, so I haven't tried it out much yet.

Last edited:
What's wrong with fixed gear bikes? Mine's set up as a legit road bike and is super fun, did the 25 mile Late Ride in Chicago last year (brakeless due to brake issues <_<) and had a blast.

Will post pictures once I pick up my new Cross Check in the next couple weeks.

I quite like my fixed gear bike although I wouldn't mind a slightly higher top speed but then I would probably end up killing myself so maybe it's not that bad.

I need new brakes and one of those though:

T2unjFXfxaXXXXXXXX_!!750226736.jpg_310x310.jpg

June of 2011 I went to Target and bought a $200 Schwinn, a Clear Creek that is built for comfort which is fine by me as I rarely pedal faster than 15 mph on paved trails.

Some 500 miles later and not a bit of a problem! Only maintenance I do is I spray the chain once a week and the gears once a month with silicone spray. So, it goes to show even a cheap bike can be good, if maintained.

And Sunday I inflated the tires and rode it 10 miles, works great. I am going to try to use it until it falls apart, but if my GF moves in earlier than September, I am looking at purchasing a much better bike, and I am thinking of a Trek Hybrid. Remember that unlike some of you, I am not interested in either pedaling away at 40 km/h on city streets or throwing myself down the side of a hill on a muddy trail; just something to ride on trials and neighborhoods.

What do you think, sirs?

What do you think, sirs?

looks like just the bike made for your needs :thumbsup:

it looks very clean (i rather hate flashy bikes, mine's plain black, not even any brand name on it) and most of its features seem to serve a useful purpose. my bike is similar, although quite old by now, so it doesn't have any of those comfort-shenanigans, but i'm still very happy with it. i don't really know US prices, but i swore to myself to always try and get deore or better gear on my future bikes, which COULD (maybe not combined with all those shenanigans the bike comes with) be possible with that sort of budget (i currently have all-deore mechanical parts, but alivio actuators / brake-leavers and those do feel cheap after a while. there's quite a bit of wiggling about and a lot of play before anything happens, the deore stuff just feels a lot more solid).

ah, also: definitely add mudguards! just for the possibility of riding the bike when it's not quite dry out yet :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay
Nothing wrong with throwing yourself down a mountain. :)

My dad has an old Schwinn hybrid, I will say its more comfortable to ride than a mountain bike.

Yesterday I got my old bike out of the garage and took a quick ride around the neighborhood. Then put the bike rack on the Focus.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365517452.105990.jpg

A guy on a local car forum is interested in me showing him the trails in town. It'll be fun riding with someone, I usually ride by myself.

On a trail near my house. Monday I put in about ten miles, I felt great! And if you are wondering, yes that is a bell I use. It's polite and civilized, unlike some spandex warriors. ^_^

I know this sounds hokey, but when I am riding my bike all of my fear, anxiety and depression floats away; when I am on that bicycle I am free. And yes, that sounds like I am living my life on 1/4 mile at a time. But I cannot describe it any other way! :)

Attachments

• IMAG0111_BURST002.jpg
    IMAG0111_BURST002.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I know this sounds hokey, but when I am riding my bike all of my fear, anxiety and depression floats away; when I am on that bicycle I am free. But I cannot describe it any other way! :)

Nope, not hokey at all. I've experienced the same feelings.

Yay, new bike computer ;-) Edge 510. Overpriced, but very nice!!!

I just got new brake pads to replace my old worn out ones and of course the screw was a little bit too big to fit in the hole of the brake holder... Rather than going back to the shop, admit defeat and get a different set, I did what any respectable man would have done and just spent one and a half hour increasing the size of the hole with completely inappropriate tools (a hammer was included).

They now fit brilliantly!

I finally did some outdoor riding on Saturday, I'm sick of the trainer in the living room, it's been almost 6 months!
Should go for one more today.

Need to get some new tyres, some Continental semislicks again I think.
Maybe a new helmet if the wallet permits. I know there are really cheap ones and they do the job the same as the expensive ones,
but I haven't found anything comfortable yet.