Bicycles!

Bought some cold weather clothes today. Not for extreme cold but these periods when it's not really cold and not really warm.

My off road wheels should also be ready and I hope to hit the woods this Sunday, first time offroading in years!
Even though I've got a hardtail, it's been on slicks for the past 9 or so years.

Dont you guys ride anymore? :p

I decided, out of pure respect to my colleagues, not to commute to work using a bicycle :p
It's just way too hot and humid here at the moment, I would just transform into sweat by the time I'm at work and there's no place where I could take a shower.

With that being said, I'm still thinking about getting one to use after work or during weekends.

A fixed gear like I had in Beijing is out of the equation since it's way more hilly around here, so I'm looking at proper bikes.
First thing I'm finding out: Holy hell bikes are expensive these days!
Is US$500+ really as low as I should expect paying for something decent? Not sure if want then.

I decided, out of pure respect to my colleagues, not to commute to work using a bicycle :p
It's just way too hot and humid here at the moment, I would just transform into sweat by the time I'm at work and there's no place where I could take a shower.

With that being said, I'm still thinking about getting one to use after work or during weekends.

A fixed gear like I had in Beijing is out of the equation since it's way more hilly around here, so I'm looking at proper bikes.
First thing I'm finding out: Holy hell bikes are expensive these days!
Is US$500+ really as low as I should expect paying for something decent? Not sure if want then.

Or, you could just get a fixed gear! I ride a fixed gear in North Vancouver which is VERY hilly (as you may well know, having lived in Van for a while)

Yeah I do remember having issues doing a hill start under the rain in my old company's car (with bald tyres) :p

I guess I could give a fixed gear a try, I can get a similar as my old one delivered for quite cheap ^^
Uphill starts will be a bitch though.

I'd probably want to install both brakes this time, having only the front one was OK on the flat but I'd be worried about downhill braking.

So I'm going to purchase a bike tomorrow either an entry level road bike or if someone can convince me a hybrid. My LBS carries Specialized,Giant, and Cannondale so that should help with any suggestions. My main use will be getting to and from class along with some riding on weekends to do cardio, and eventually tackling some longer rides maybe next summer (I don't want to keep upgrading bikes because my other hobby: karting is already too expensive). I've been mainly looking at the Allez and Defy 5 with the Allez being my main choice due it's better all around gearing, which would allow me to tackle some climbs eventually. I will obviously test ride both bikes along with other options before purchasing, but I'd like some of you more experienced cyclists to chime in.

**I've wanted a road bike for quite a while probably since I've been in high school :p

Free wheels do indeed feel very strange after riding fixed for a long time. I attribute it to driving an automatic after driving a stick for so long.

Offroading, taking the new mtb for another spin. There's a small course in the mtb park which involves a series of ever tightening banked curves with a few jumps and as I was trying to beat my PB I failed to land one of the jumps. The gravel track is very hard and compressed which would account for why it looks like an asphalt scrape, I did my best to ditch it into the grass but just caught the edge of the track. I was also very concerned about not damaging the bike, to the detriment of myself :p

The pic was taken 36 hours ago, it looks a lot worse now. Cleaned it with some Dettol and put a couple of those clear patches over it which I'm told are good for a couple of days. Mum is coming round tomorrow to have a look (registered nurse :)).

Just got a new ride! 2012 Orbea Orca Silver with Di2. It's been ridden and well taken care of for less than a year, and I got it for less than half the original purchase price :D
IMAG0349.jpg
IMAG0350.jpg

Nice one, I havent heard of Orbea before. Do you have any specific areas/roads you ride in Adelaide?

Kinda wanna buy a new roadie (no money :p), I have a 10 year old Trek something or other decked out in full US Postal livery which was owned by my brother being a big Lance Armstrong fan. Been mine for some years now :p.

Last edited:
I was also very concerned about not damaging the bike, to the detriment of myself :p

Good man. Got your priorities straight.

Quick question; I need a bike (or a lot more money to keep driving the 2.5miles/4km to work). A hybrid type bike, not a road bike because there's a rough path on the way. And it then means I can go on rides up the canal path etc if I want.

Anyway; I am currently wanting this but am hesitating/looking for second hand ones because I'm not too keen on spending ?280 on it. I know that probably sounds silly but I'm not going to buy a ?500 bike and I'm still of the student mindset.

Any thoughts on that bike/any others? Not really wanting to spend more than around ?200/240?/$310/AU$350.

Last edited:
For that kind of money, don't look at new ones. In that price class, they're all crap.

Even if I know its not going to be cared for well? Is it worth getting a nice bike if its going to be used every day and thrown about? I don't really need 'the best riding experience'.

Nice one, I havent heard of Orbea before. Do you have any specific areas/roads you ride in Adelaide?

Kinda wanna buy a new roadie (no money :p), I have a 10 year old Trek something or other decked out in full US Postal livery which was owned by my brother being a big Lance Armstrong fan. Been mine for some years now :p.
Orbea is a Spanish brand. I wouldn't have even considered it had I not seen the ad on eBay. I've only started riding a year ago, and only have picked up the addiction. I do the Norton Summit Road loop and ride to the west Beach on weekends. Weekdays I take an extra long route through the linear park into the city. So I do quite a variety of road types.

Tried out a few hybrids and road bikes, and settled for an '13 Allez Compact. Makes my commute to classes really quick, and I can train on weekends with longer rides to blow off some steam.

Here she is in all her glory:

Last edited: