Bicycles!

Rephrasing some non-copyrighted line here, "he, who keeps buying Miatas Schwinn" :p

Also, i DEMAND THE PROOF PI... oh, there's yer Datsun's tailgate, aa'roight

Seriously, gratz on the get! That rockin chair looks like a beach bully, compared to mine :rolleyes:

Thanks, man! At least I've curtailed my habit of buying Mustangs, for now.

Cross posted for relevance:

I think I need an intervention. You see, I had the sudden desire to go bicycling this past week. But in order to do that, I would either need to buy a new bike or dig out one of my old ones. So I excavated an old SE Racing BMX that I bought about 13 years ago, for some reason, that was still in one piece. After cleaning it up I found that it didn't really need anything but inner-tubes, so I bought a pair off Amazon. But then I started looking at all the other bicycle stuff they had and caught the bug.

I decided to also rebuild my other BMX that I've had since I was 12 years old. When I moved away from home I disassembled it and boxed it up. That was 15 years ago. It's a GT Dyno Nitro 24 and it was my prized possession in my youth. :lol:

So I purchased the following:

A pair of 24x1.75 Michelin bike tires
4 inner-tubes
A Shimano Deore V-brake set with cable and housing
A compact tire pump, with handlebar mount and waterbottle carrier

But I also discovered the front wheel on my old bike had a nasty bend in the outer hub, which can't be adjusted out, so I dropped it off at the bike shop to be professionally repaired. I thought about getting a new wheel, but a cheap generic one would suck, and buying a genuine GT wheel would cost over $400. I found a couple used ones just like mine for sale, but they weren't cheap either and were in poor condition. So yeah, this little project is going to cost a few bucks, but it will be nice to get my old GT Dyno back together again after so many years.

20170319_092653.jpg

:lol:
Please post pics when everything is back in riding condition.

It's been months since I got my new bike, and I've only been out with it twice :lol: It's still too cold, but it's starting to get dry at least. So I went riding yesterday, and I spent half the time adjusting everything, couldn't find perfect position :( Came to a conclusion, that the handlebars are too far out for my liking, I'm going to try a 30mm shorter stem next.

It was also my first try with pedal locks, that worked great! Can't wait for more pleasant weather.

:lol:
Please post pics when everything is back in riding condition.
For sure. I got the green one finished and took it out for an hour ride early this morning. It was a lot of fun. It's been a long time since I've ridden a BMX. Not the best choice for a long bike ride though, I was wishing for gears on the way back. :p

20170326_143342.jpg

I was surprised that the tires didn't have any dry rot and were salvageable, but the grips are bit far gone I think. May need to browse Amazon some more...

I'm working on my GT Dyno, but the wheel is still getting worked on. It's mostly assembled, but apparently my arrogant teenage self didn't have faith in his future self to figure out how to reassemble a simple bicycle, so he drew up little condescending diagrams for each set of pieces, as if I couldn't figure it out.

20170326_121835.jpg

The dumb bitch doesn't even know how to spell assembly right. :rolleyes:

The diagrams did come in handy though.

Awesome! Some of the older BMX stuff can bring a mint.

I never got into BMX for some reason though. Went from kids bikes to mountain bikes and kind of stuck there.
Well... BMX pretty much are kids bikes really. :lol:

Last edited:
Oh no! My velib subscription ended yesterday! How am I ever going to get around the city now?

109668_preview-bt1.jpg

Joking aside, I hate these bikes, they are awful. But they've just been awesomely practical to just pick-up when you need them. 0 Points for the bikes, 100 for the system being around in general.
I will be happy to start using my own (holland-style) bike again until it will be stolen after 2 days inevitably ... :(

For sure. I got the green one finished and took it out for an hour ride early this morning. It was a lot of fun. It's been a long time since I've ridden a BMX. Not the best choice for a long bike ride though, I was wishing for gears on the way back. :p

20170326_143342.jpg

I was surprised that the tires didn't have any dry rot and were salvageable, but the grips are bit far gone I think. May need to browse Amazon some more...

I'm working on my GT Dyno, but the wheel is still getting worked on. It's mostly assembled, but apparently my arrogant teenage self didn't have faith in his future self to figure out how to reassemble a simple bicycle, so he drew up little condescending diagrams for each set of pieces, as if I couldn't figure it out.

20170326_121835.jpg

The dumb bitch doesn't even know how to spell assembly right. :rolleyes:

The diagrams did come in handy though.

Well... BMX pretty much are kids bikes really. :lol:

I love the color! :thumbsup:

Crossposted from the "What's your latest (non-technology) purchase?" thread

I just bought a new bike! :) 30 gears is a bit excessive, but 550 Euros for a bike which was 900 Euro new last year (1000 Euro MSRP - 10%), has Shimano Deore switchgear and hydraulic disc brakes and has been used once or twice is better than 500 Euros for a completely new bike with cheap Shimano Acera or Alivio Switchgear and cable operated disc brakes or even some kind of V-brakes. Both lights are LED and integrated into the fenders so they don't stick out at all. The rear light has a parking light function, it's still on even though I stopped 10 minutes ago - that's a bit excessive as well... :lol:

Awesome! Some of the older BMX stuff can bring a mint.

I never got into BMX for some reason though. Went from kids bikes to mountain bikes and kind of stuck there.

I had a cheapo NEXT BMX bike when I was in third grade. The fasteneners keeping the seat level were shit and after getting dumped onto the rear tire and receiving a rubber bidet treatment while riding it, my 'next' bike was a mountain bike. In retrospect, I should have thought about the name more carefully. :lol:

Hmm, the front light which is integrated into the fender sounds good, but as far as I can see there is one flaw: you can't adjust it's angle at all so the beam shines straight on instead of tilted down. That means a) it doesn't illuminate the road right in front of the bike but rather about 40 Metres away and b) it blinds people coming the other way. In the winter I have bought a bright recheargeable light for the old bike since it's light was abysmal so I can use that for illuminating the road right in front, but the problem of blinding other people persists. :think: Luckily the days are already long enough so I don't need lights for my commute, but I plan on biking in the fall as well. Maybe I'll just disconnect the front light then...

No need for disconnecting the light, I found the grub screw to adjust the reflector (the LED shines down and gets reflected in a 90? angle to direct the beam). It was wound out the whole way, I just needed a 2.5 mm allen key to wind it in completely, now the beam goes where it belongs and doesn't blind others. That said, the recheargeable head light still has it's right to exist: unlike the integrated light it stays on when I stop the bike, on my way to work I have to go through three gates in a nature reserve, and of course the nature reserve is pitch black in fall and winter.

Additionally, I bought an Abus Bordo 6000 to secure the bike, my old U-lock didn't cut the muster - the key broke off inside the lock so you could open it with a screwdriver... :lol:

First proper ride with my new bike today. Did about 40km, which feels like about 10km more than I was prepared to do, I'm dying...

*sigh*
I think I'll put mine up for sale.
Every time I ride it I feel like it's a hybrid that sucks at both things it is trying...

So how's the bike? :D

Great! :D The 30mm shorter stem made it just right.

I've been playing quite a bit with cleat positioning on the shoes, and probably will continue to do so for a while until I find a sweet spot. On one hand the locking pedals are clearly superior in terms of power transfer, on the other I get the urge to shift the foot slightly backward or forward once in a while. Feels like I'm straining some wrong muscles there.

*sigh*
I think I'll put mine up for sale.
Every time I ride it I feel like it's a hybrid that sucks at both things it is trying...

Aww. Any other bike you have in mind already?

Last edited:
Aww. Any other bike you have in mind already?

I think I'll give up on the hybrid thing and get a mountain bike again.
The few good stretches of good asphalt don't justify the skinny tires and simpler suspension when there are so much streets with cobblestones (with potholes) and patchy/uneven pavement.