Bicycles!

I cannot remotely compete with @Eye-Q, but at least today I did the longest ride on my road bike since 2009, with about 72 km. :blink: Didn't realize it's been that long ago...

This month, I'm at 165 km in total, but this will increase sharply over the next two weeks because we have a cycling challenge at work. So, if weather permits....

72km and you didn't notice? o_O I can remember doing that only when on vacation in Florida years ago. The paths were so flat you could go so far away and not even notice where here, we have these long inclines that you hardly notice until you're halfway up and think you're a weakling for not finishing the incline in one go only to realize you've been going up for about 2 miles (roughly 3+km?).

I guess this is why I'm fat, and you're not.

I can't wait to move to a place that allows me to ride a bicycle again...

72km and you didn't notice?
That's a misunderstanding. Of course I did notice how long the ride was, but I didn't realize it's been eleven years since I last did 70+ km in one go (two three minute banana eating breaks at bus stops don't count).
I have done more km/day in the years in between during cycling vacations, but those were with a proper hour-long lunch break in the middle.

This morning I completed 1000 km since the beginning of the year! The majority of this (800 km) on the road bike; using the trekking bike to visit friends or go to the supermarket was really not much so far (but those are really short-distance rides anyway)

In honor of the occasion I rode almost the same distance as you last Sunday, but that included a fair amount of gravel, sand and tree roots, sometimes all at the same time. This brings the gravel bike alone up to 1285 km (800 miles) in 7 weeks and 2 days.

photo_2020-08-03_21-08-23.jpg

What a great evening! We don't normally get these nice 80f/26c days in August, but I'll take them anytime.

https://strava.app.link/Xwba0DqgF8

Straight, 90° turn, straight, 90° turn, straight, 180° turn, straight, 90° turn, straight, 90° turn, straight, 90° turn - damn, that's boring... :p

Ah well, when there's no other way through the fields or so that's the only way to ride so be it, at least you rode. :)

I can do hicklety picklety as well... o_O

Just bought a new saddle for the cargo bike and wanted to break it in. :)

1596657408960.png

(Yes, there is a perfectly circular street in the east)

Yeah, already saw it yesterday. That's why I have rear view mirrors on my bicycles so I can spot dumbasses (and apparently from now on overhanging loads :poop:) coming up behind. I never heard of such a freak accident before though...

To be honest, IMHO a rear view mirror, even a small one, is way more important than cycling helmets. I don't think helmets or rear view mirrors should be mandatory, but they are safety items which can save lifes, just like seatbelts, airbags, antilock brakes or ESP in cars. Clip on rear view mirrors cost something like 5-10 bucks so they don't break the bank but can give you so much more information about what's going on behind you.

This year really keeps on giving with respect to accidents. I just had an actual collision with a car - might well by the first in my cyclist life. First off: I'm okay. :)

Situation: Main street accompanied by a cycle path, intersection. Car in front turns right (so, crossing my path). The driver saw me too late, but then braked anyway so the car came to a halt exactly in my way, at like 40° turn angle. By that point, I had already thought that the car would just drive on and wanted to cross behind it. Not happening. I grabbed my brakes, but couldn't avoid hitting the rear passenger side door with my left bar end and my forearm. No fall, though.
It was luck though, as the driver was more in shock than I was and insisted that her car was fine, had some scratches already, and she would be able to polish it out - which might well be the case. I don't care, because I only have a small graze on my forearm and the bar end of my bike was scratched to hell from 13 years of use anyway - so no damage done to me or my bike, basically. So we parted ways without even exchanging contact data. :D

I cannot remotely compete with @Eye-Q, but at least today I did the longest ride on my road bike since 2009, with about 72 km. :blink: Didn't realize it's been that long ago...

This month, I'm at 165 km in total, but this will increase sharply over the next two weeks because we have a cycling challenge at work. So, if weather permits....

And people look at me funny when I tell them I ride 40-50 kms for fun.
Been riding a lot more lately, due to covid19 and not having an alternative. Then I broke my wrists, which a bummer since it means no real offroading for 12 weeks... getting backinto it lately (only on non bumpy roads and actual roads) though

Oh yeah, here's my ride, a basic Orbea MTB, but has served me well for about 2k kms (of which 1600 were this year alone)

IMG_20200812_204317067.jpg

At least it's a hard tail, not like those poser fullys which will never get used anywhere near something where 20 cm of suspension travel is actually needed... ;-)

How the hell did you break both wrists? :blink:

Oh, this was my "for fun" ride before lunch today:

1597581610411.png

How the hell did you break both wrists? :blink:

Well, I got into BMX racing a few years ago, and had finally gotten to the point where what little talent I had was beginning to overcome my initial (and very well funded) fear. So I tried a big jump, and landed it quite good the first time. The second, not so much. Landed on my front wheels and then somersaulted down the 3m high hill. Naturally, you try to break your fall with your hands. And thus, 3 broken bones in the left wrist, broken elbow and 1 broken bone in the right wrist.

Then followed 6 weeks of cast, no fun. Only got back into riding a few weeks ago. Been doing relatively short stints (30- 40 kms) at an average pace (25 km/h). Can't stand cobbled roads or big bumps yet so "real" MTBing will have to wait a couple of more weeks/months.

But hey,
download.jpg