Bicycles!

First off, eizbaer!! ? I've not seen you in a while, man, hope you're good!

Nice setup you got there, and the bike looks nice too. I've beedn thinking about getting the cheapest smart trainer, too, to make the winter trainer rides a little less dull.

Yeah somehow 3 years ago I dropped off the radar - I think I summed it up in random thoughts somewhere :D

The bike looks nice... but it's technically a cyclocross, so the geometry isn't quite right for street riding (which is all I really do, so wrong purchase right there 5y ago). Not too much of an issue, really... gives me an excuse as to why I could be even faster on a proper bike :p The smart trainer really does make a hell of a difference, even if it's a cheap piece of crap like mine (tacx flow smart for like 250e - it does power, cadence, speed and varies resistance nicely. But it overheats after maybe 10min @300W and will crap out at ~600-700W max.).

Join, you nutlickers:
Nuts dutifully licked o7

gotta say, 10min @ 300W sounds like serious wattage, good for you if you're pumpung out those numbers :mrgreen:
I don't really know what kind ofn power I'm putting out, a powermeter would be nice, but those tend to cost almost as much as my whole bike :ROFLMAO:
But I'm guessing even that entry Tacx would begood enough for me. Also, if youor anyone else is interested, we do have a Telegram cycling group, too.

gotta say, 10min @ 300W sounds like serious wattage, good for you if you're pumpung out those numbers :mrgreen:
I'm quite a large and heavy guy... so I also need power to be going any kind of speed, especially once there's a hint of elevation involved. Zwift teaches you that the only thing that really matters is power/weight (W/kg) - and I occupy one of the lower categories they have for that :D

Also I don't do telegram, sadly. (OT: I just hate the fact that everything is fragmented, and while I'd love to ditch whatsapp for good, everybody I'm regularly interacting with uses only that! ugh!)

Nuts also licked.
And holy crap 300w for 10 mins straight is insane...

Joined the group as well. Hopefuly I'll start cycling again soon.

Also: how many km on your cassette? If the chain is really worn, it'd probably be a good idea to swap that as well - otherwise the worn teeth will amplify chain wear a lot (quite a vicious circle you can get into)...
I know, but the cassettes (I have two wheel sets) are only at 1800 km and 400 km so lots of life in them.

Regarding Zwift/rollers in general: I'm more the outdoors guy, I don't like static cycling. When I cycle there has to be a change in surroundings, otherwise it's not cycling for me. That said, I don't mind other people zwifting. As long as you don't force others to do something and you don't limit others in what they want to do (to an extent of course ;) ) you can do whatever you want, I'll do my thing. :)

So... apparently all the important bike parts are sold out due to everyone breaking out their old bikes in the Corona summer and there is not enough replenishments from the factories in Asia.

The bike dealer basically said to me "here's the part number, if you manage to source this on the Internet, I'll be happy to assemble it for you".

So... the situation is this:
I have a 2007 Gudereit SX-75 trekking bike with a Shimano Deore LX 3x9 drive. I need:
  • a new chain
  • new chainrings 48/36/26 for 3x9 (or a completely new FC-M581 assembly)
  • a new 9-speed cassette
  • a set of those little sprockets for the rear derailleur (or just a new rear derailleur)
The chainrings especially are like unobtainium right now.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the matter, but apparently the FC-M591 (as opposed to my FC-M581) is easier to come by. But are those compatible?

Any onther solutions? I would be willing to just go for a completely new everything as long as it works with my Deore LX shifters and preferably the front derailleur.

I'd say get a completely new groupset, there are some offers for 1x11 in stock, for example this Deore XT for just over 200 Euros. It is an upgrade in drivability as well since you don't have to worry about the chainline being off when you shift on the cassette. Since the 11-speed cassettes have narrower spacings between the sprockets they will fit on the freewheel of your bike which currently has the 9 speed cassette.

I'd rather stay on 3x9 than to change everything to 1x11.
Over €200 is also rather expensive, I'd much prefer just replacing the worn parts and keep the shifters themselves. ;)

The FC-M591 should be a replacement (later model) for the 581. That's how Shimano numbering usually goes. Just make sure the chainring sizes are the same and the drive type (square taper, octo, whatever) is the same and you should be good. Also match the crank arm length, as those vary.

I would just buy new chain rings, if they fit. I'll have to see how to find out if that's the case...

I'm such an idiot. I love stats so I use Strava.
But it doesn't always auto pause, so I do it manually.... And then forget to re activate it, do a huge hilly ride with tons of elevation and a ridiculous downhill section where you go 50+ for about a minute or two.

But I can't be sure about that since I forget to re activate it....

Been there man, been there... I suspected something like that seeing your manual addition :(

Also: I've been up (virtual) Alpe d'Huez this past week! I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well it went, both in terms of fatigue/exhaustion as well as boredom. I expected to get bored out of my skull just going uphill at 11km/h for 70 minutes... but somehow it was even quite enjoyable.

To make matters worse, my crappy speedo crapped out so I had no indication of speed or distance or elevation... Ah well

C'mon, we don't believe you own a bicycle and cycle around. There's no way a bicycle could withstand the weight of your balls...
I"m having trouble lately with this, haha.

(I think it's more being out of shape, though.)

I'm such an idiot. I love stats so I use Strava.
But it doesn't always auto pause, so I do it manually.... And then forget to re activate it, do a huge hilly ride with tons of elevation and a ridiculous downhill section where you go 50+ for about a minute or two.

But I can't be sure about that since I forget to re activate it....

Sorted. Shitty cloth thing you use to caary your phone around your arm when running, juryrigged onto bike, displays Strava all the time.
Weird to be only seeing average speed and distance, but whatevs. I suppose I could have some sort of "display speed all the time" widget there too, might look into it.

Broke my old record yesterday with an average of 26,6 kph over 40 kms. Not bad considering that

1) I'm old and out of shape
b) most of this road is either dirt, gravel, or a combination of both
III) There's traffic lights, road crossings etc, and I can't just blast by everyone because I'm trying to break my record.
- It was pitch black by the time I got back home, and my measly light doesn't do dick on dark gravelly roads...
5) I kinda overinflated my tyres, thinking I'd be mostly doing on road stuff, so cornering doesn't always work with 4 bar (should be 1.8 for offroad)

Well those are my excuses anyway :p

After two weeks of living in Mordor Del Rey, CA, AQI went down enough for me to be comfortable inhaling two days’ worth of air in a single ride, so I ventured out again.

A bit slow and a bit painful, but good to be back on the pedals!

Building on the above, I wanted to push myself a bit—since I'm doing fewer rides these days and want to make sure the effort is worth the time and hassle—so I decided to go a little nuts yesterday.

For funsies, some deets, as captured by my Wahoo ELEMNT BOLT and Whoop:
A3UDvef.jpg

3F5Om1J.jpg

gbeTVwT.jpg

And as a bonus, there was a kid selling lemonade on the route, right near the very top of the big climb, and I had a bit of fun with the payment:
K0klan0.jpg

Last edited: