Bicycles!

What cycling computer do you use?
I have a Hammerhead Karoo (first generation, the second generation has just been released). It's Android based and gets updates every two weeks (no, really, see the change logs, they really push updates every two weeks) so there are always improvements in UI/UX, compatibility and stability.

That does look nice, I'ver never heard of it before, somehow. Also the page doesn't really want to let me in - always asks for a passcode, as soon as I want more than the flashy main page :p I think they've been overwhelmed by demand a bit, maybe...

Will check DC rainmaker pre-production unit review on youtube in the meantime - that should tell me all I really need to know :)

Does indeed look quite special, in that it does some things different. I'm sort of boring in the way that I'll have a Wahoo Bolt come my birthday on monday (yes I know already...), and that's sort of where my budget (willingness) currently ends.

Also, story time. Wife and I were out on our bikes (the boring commute kind) today and she tells me her bike has been riding funny all week and whether I can take a look. So i did:
1607179703154.png

... yes, that is TOAST. DONE. deadsies. :|
I'm actually very happy the damn thing didn't just decide to collapse, looking at how the chainstay is broken through completely.

Last edited:
Well, you could fix it by introducing a removable part so you can put a belt drive on the bike... :p

In all seriousness: she said the bike has been riding funny all week? This means that the frame has been broken for a week and the bike still held together? Wow... :blink:

All in all it's not the best time for a broken bike, seeing how the warehouses are void of new bikes. You might be able to find a new-ish bike in the classifieds from people who bought a bike in spring during the first wave and don't want them any more.

Yeah I’m not really sure I’ll be able to find something fitting on the used market either. Tbh I haven’t checked, but I expect the market to be similarly screwed.

Just checked the used market real quick: nothing. IF there’s a bike that MIGHT be worth considering the ad is basically a giant red flag (stolen or scam or similar). I feel more comfortable with something new anyway. She commutes on the bike every day (4 km one way, 5 days a week, no alternative so in any weather). That’s also why I’m actually considering a belt drive. Does anyone know how those cope with high torque low rpm mashing? The wife has a very mashy cycling style... 30 rpm (not kidding) most of the time. Please don’t ask why, it cannot be changed :|

Last edited:
30 rpm? Just give her something with massive gears .

Should be riding more myself but roads are absolutely filthy, meaning even a road ride requires a thorough wash and I can’t be arsed to do that.

Also, it’s -4 degrees and windy. My poor testicles will freeze off

Well, fuck.
As previously discussed here, it's hard to shop for a bicycle. I was thinking of something like a Specialized Crosstrail (which I aleady owned and like) or a Sirrus, in the 400-500 range, but all stores currently only have the Eur900+ models, being sold out of all entry-level models.
I briefly considered buying a single-speed from Decathlon for 200 euros, but that seems like something I will regret later.
Any thoughts? I am open to checking other brands, as long as it's something Urban/Hybrid and moderately priced.

Specialized is good shit, have had one since '06 or '08...

PSX_20201218_115225.jpg

I bought this new old stock 1995 Schwinn Moab as a frame a few years back on eBay. It was an auction that no one bid on and the starting bid was only 99¢. I've had it together for awhile, but was never happy with the flat bar I had on it, so I ordered this BMX stem and handlebar. It's a whole bunch more fun this way. I can't wait for it to warm up a bit and I can go thrash it around downtown Joplin doing hoodrat shit. ?

Last edited:
That looks like ridiculous fun. I’m a big fan of that style of handlebar. Also, don’t be a wimp, unless its 10 below, just go out and ride, it’ll be worth it!

Last edited:
1.5 miles is better than no miles.

Also, he should be in the FG Strava group :D

77 kms today and all of it uphill and with headwind.

I don’t understand how people can manage 100+ kms ... 60/70 is Ok but around then my legs start to feel real heavy and quick acceleration or climbing results in leg cramps... do I need to be more careful / pace myself before I get to that point to avoid this? Or take more/longer breaks? I usually don’t stop unless I need to change clothes/water bottle...

Any tips from people that do longer rides? I’d like to break 100 kms in one run but I feel like I’m hitting a plateau where I just can’t comfortably go longer

Well, my longer rides are mainly on road with a max of 20% in forests so it's way easier than mainly off-road. I'm trying to take breaks every 1 1/2 hours or so, but I usually don't take long breaks, just one for lunch, all the others are mostly for stretching and making sure my blood sugar level stays in acceptable ranges.

The main thing is not overpacing yourself. If you have a heart rate sensor you should stay below a certain heart rate which unfortunately is different for everyone. For me it's 150 bpm, when I mainly stay below that I can do 100+ km easily.

The main thing is not overpacing yourself.

Amen. This is it. HR monitor can help, once you’ve gathered some experience in what sort of limits to stick to. I admit this then turns to make s bit of a tedious numbers game, but it’ll also help you figure out there feel for the right HR zone.

To underline the above point of how this is very individual for everyone: my average HR at which I can basically keep going forever seems to be about 10% higher than Qs... I generally have quite a high HR when working out. In 1hr efforts (vollgas!) my average can be well above 180 bpm.

Stupid gamification features btw - I have these two taunting me every day:
C1A235A8-5A1C-43E2-80F8-22EE4368A8DF.jpeg

Stupid gamification features btw - I have these two taunting me every day:
View attachment 3559605
I'll be doing my third Gran Fondo for this December tomorrow (yesterday I rode 105 km, but split it into riding to the starting point - doing the pre-planned route - riding home from the starting point) and signed up for the "Rapha Festive 500" (cycling a total of at least 500 km between December 24th and Decemter 31st)... :ph34r:

Then again, I never run more than 11 km, I like cycling because you can just coast from time to time, that's kinda impossible when you run... :ph34r:

signed up for the "Rapha Festive 500"
Yeah for some reason I signed up for that, too... but there's no chance I'll even come close. I just don't ride often enough... and on Zwift there's just no real coasting (or rather, I refuse to make use of downhill sections and don't take breaks), so 100k always end up rather tiring.

Well, that was successful... ?

Technically I finished the #festive500 yesterday when I reached 501 km (I planned on cycling 66 km, instead I cut it short to 47 km, totally unplanned to reach exactly one km more than "required"), but today I rode another 107 km since why the hell not?

1609439243815.png