Bicycles!

Nice, direct descendant from my 2015 Cross Race Disc Pro - although back then that still came with ultegra ? nonetheless, I can pretty much guarantee you’ll enjoy it!

Good on the hydraulic brakes choice (also the bread and Butter 105 group!) - I’ve not experienced mechanical discs, but have heard they’re mostly garbage...

Also: what’s with all the equipment??? Mine came with nothing. Not even pedals, as is right for a proper bike! Start thinking about some clip-ins (I refuse to call them clipless, sind it’s the opposite) soon, makes quite a difference, you wouldn’t believe it!
Also also: it’s not actually all that light :D

Yeah, I want to experience it basic first and then see the difference in upgrades! And it feels light to me :mrgreen:

We also got a 2020 Cross Race black and red, which still had 105's but with mechanical discs. It was hugely cheaper than this and also only available in 50cm size, so it fit my girlfriend. We had to get two bikes so we can do trips together, her old bike is just a super basic city bike and not really a match for this. But that one probably arrives tomorrow. I first considered one of those but a 56cm bike would've been a 2021 with Tiagra and it made sense to jump to this instead... I guess!

Oh oh we picked up my wife’s [insert Borat my wiiiiife] new bike today! Her old bike literally broke in half, but with the situation being as it is, it was hard to find something especially since she wanted to test ride...

In the end, since she commutes on the thing every day 4 km each way, it had to be reliable, comfortable and durable. We ended up with this Liv (giants female brand) with belt drive (interesting stuff, always wanted to try that myself), hydraulic discs - last years model was actually 25% off (wtf? Probably the color and the fact that nobody wanted the higher end model with better hub and brakes), so we got that quite spontaneously. Have a random stock Foto:
828A500A-BEB0-4ED9-8915-878C17C5FD8B.jpeg

Is this for the wife that wants to cycle at a low speed, in a ridiculously high gear and extremely low rpm? Or am I misremembering things again?

Haha yes, you’re remembering that right. Good thing is, this does run out of gears a little earlier than her old bike, so it may force her to increase her rpm a little...

Very nice, @public
How much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?

I paid 1620 with the add-ons. I also got a check sheet that noted all the things that had been done by the dealer to make sure it's ready to run, which is nice, and the thing even came with a stampable service book :lol: The more basic Cross Race was 1080 with the same accessories.

Bike-Discount sells them a little cheaper, I considered it but there's not always any stock and getting to try the bike was a big deal for me.

Not much for sale here in Portugal, but I'll add this to my list of brands to look for when this nonsense improves.
Thanks!

We went for a few test rides of cargo bikes today (imma sneak this in here: the wife is preggers ?), because we wanted to see what works best for us: long wheelbase bicycle, tricycle or tricycle with tilt mechanism. For price reasons we stuck to babboe models... and experienced something I did not expect. I expected to love the fancy tilting tricycle - but it’s a bloody death trap! Fancy mechanism my ass: it tilts regardless of handlebar / turning position... I.e. you can go dead straight while being 30° lopsided! Wtf! The regular tricycle was weird as expected... so it’ll be a regular long wheelbase model for us... at some point... if we manage to get our hands on one (totally manageable). Not cumbersome as I thought it would be, rides like a bike, nice. Also money saved on the tilt bullshit can go to better motor / gears.

Awwwww Eiscub! Cute!

I might have (not) accidentally done a Gran Fondo at a pace of more than 30 kph... :eek: Towards the end it got tough since cycling into Hamburg and keeping up a 30+ kph pace is challenging. That said, I don't think I'll attempt such a pace any time soon again, a pace of 28 kph is way less straining, but still fast enough for me...

Erster Gran Fondo mit 30er Schnitt.jpg

O hai. No one asked, but here’s what I did today anyway!

This thing has largely gone neglected since I upgraded last May, save for a few errands last year:

gxNsxFT.jpg

Well, today I made it roadworthy again, in hopes of some more errands!

Here’s my “shop” setup:

ViBeWBk.jpg

Removed the downtube bottle cage and reinstalled the luggage rack:

Toa7Y2G.jpg

Reinstalled the lock and cable:

AouGKwG.jpg

L8QQgyY.jpg

Also reinstalled the saddle:

SKo6nZl.jpg

Some of you may notice it’s not the Brooks I had on there (and the other bike) before. I’m not really a fan of it after all, and this bike will be too short-trip for it to matter, so I went back to the stock one.

I then went for a “test ride” and managed not to die:

The tail bag and tail light just about complete the “build”:

xj4XEeR.jpg

Lawl, look at this ridiculousness:

74Nyy2Q.jpg

I’ll put those on as needed, probably only one at a time for grocery and takeout runs.

Went for an actual test ride and discovered the rear brake was v. unhappy (not sure if sound works):

Worry not—the noise went away rather quickly.

Test ride destination:

NYU7klS.jpg

Now I just need some nearby-ish errands!

I’ll put those on as needed, probably only one at a time for grocery and takeout runs.
Good stuff - but, notes of caution, since my mum has used those bags for 30+ years and thus collected some experience:
If you use them regularly, try to either alternate sides or better go with both bags even if you think you only need one. On the one hand as soon as there is significant weight, you will feel lopsided and a little unsafe. Also, with time (and weight), the one-sided setup will make for weird wear on your tire (first and foremost) and wheel. After a few years of one-sided grocery runs that was actually noticeable enough on my mum’s bike to cause issues...

Good stuff - but, notes of caution, since my mum has used those bags for 30+ years and thus collected some experience:
If you use them regularly, try to either alternate sides or better go with both bags even if you think you only need one. On the one hand as soon as there is significant weight, you will feel lopsided and a little unsafe. Also, with time (and weight), the one-sided setup will make for weird wear on your tire (first and foremost) and wheel. After a few years of one-sided grocery runs that was actually noticeable enough on my mum’s bike to cause issues...
Oh, interesting! I've never had individual bags before, so it's never been a concern.

"Click on 2....3 is sticking..."
Does that work on key locks as well?

I got some comically enormous valve stem caps:
nYq1zAv.jpg

I’m keeping them on for teh lulz:
C5t7dQC.jpg